DCA considering amps

I'm thinking Bridgemen are using them becuase their hornline is so loud that it's drowning out the smallish pit?

And amps are okay for things like that...

IF it's economically feasible for the corps to purchase and maintain them.

IF when they're used competitively just the use of amps doesn't imply that the corps is automatically better (ie, follow the status quo...).

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the Bridgemen been booed yet when using those amps ?

can't say from where i am out on the field i've head any boo'ing. not even at the all alumni show in Bridgeport. it's such a non-issue to me at this point for what it is we're using it for.

would i prefer we had more pit players so that amps aren't needed? of course i would.

but for what it is we're using them for ~ if someone wants to boo or walk out ~ let them. they'll have missed one #### of a performance and really it's their loss, not ours.

The way I see it is this.

Only the top corps will be able to afford the proper equipment.

Down the road as the judges start making amps a part of the GE score other corps are going to want amps to stay competitive.

This is going to make it hard on say a 7th place corps to be competitive.

I say leave the amps out of DCA!

I'm in the Bridgemen pit--in fact, that's me on the left getting ready to put some abuse on that cymbal. In a show with the music we play, it's cool to hear some vibraphone once in awhile, so Dennis Delucia wanted the keyboards amped, as well as some components of the drumset, so the groove would come through. I, personally, have overplayed 64-man hornlines acoustically on marching vibes, but you know what--that makes the bars overtone real bad and it sounds like crap. So, Dennis wanted us to play like musicians and still be heard, and I think it's cool after 25 years of performing to finally hear some of the music I work up to perform. I really don't mind this kind of amplification, but I hope DCA doesn't allow the vocal stuff.

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Kilties, '01-'02, '04-'05

Bridgemen, '06

Financial and traditional issues aside... amps propose a logistical nightmare. Renegades pit has enough equipment that our truck overflows at times. Shipping our equipment out to DCA isn't cheap either. Adding amps gets two thumbs down from me.

How do you amplify Legos anyway? A tiny mic in each brick?

How do you amplify Legos anyway? A tiny mic in each brick?

Mic her bra.

yes, that's hot................

In the discusion about modifying a ruling about amping vocals, it was brought to our attention that DCA has been considering implimenting amps also. No names were given so this begs a few questions:

1) what DCA corps would you think be considering it?

2) would it be a good thing for DCA?

Seems to me, that this is a flame bait thread based on gossip and no facts whatsoever. Who is "brought to our attention, who brought it and who was listening.

The congress is held in January every OTHER year (can't remember if this upcoming year is one I lost track), however, since this is the midst of a very exciting and competitive year, I'd like to think that most organizations are focusing on their current show and how to improve and tweek it.

Again, I think this is a rumor and just a chance to get the gossip flying and serves so purpose for the activity, but to those that are having a slow day and wish to get things fired up.