Tupelo, MS - Bluecoats Brass

i went to there practice before battle creek and there hornline wasn't as good as it has been in past years

I was also at their Battle Creek rehearsal, and while they might not be at peak yet, they're still smoking... Was a little disapppointed with the on-field performance at the show, however... Now the encore... that was fairly impressive...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was my Bluecoats bias kicking in when watching BD perform last night

and thinking that Bluecoats had sounded just as good.

Apparently my bias was not deceiving me. Good for Coats!

I was surprised at the lack of volume from the Devils when I saw them in Louisville. I know that volume doesn't make a good hornline, but that's definitely one thing you could always count on from the Devils, and it just wasn't there that night (and I was on the 50, 29 rows up). But more troubling was the shakey performance from the trumpets. They had a raspy sound and had some pretty severe (by BD standards) intonation problems. But I can't completely pass judgment based on one performance.

Now the Bluecoats sounded amazing when I saw them the night before in Kettering. Such control and fantastic tone. And more volume (good volume) than BD for sure. And I think the Coats actually can take the volume up a little more without sacrificing the qulaity of the sound because even when I saw them at Kettering it sounded a little reserved. We'll see.

And I think the Coats actually can take the volume up a little more without sacrificing the qulaity of the sound because even when I saw them at Kettering it sounded a little reserved.

I am hoping that Bluecoats are purposely holding back on horn dynamics until late season. During the ensemble rehearsal that I attended last week, I heard a lot of "don't play this any louder than you need to."

In my opinion, big impacts NEED to be as loud as they possibly can be with reasonable tone quality and intonation. Fortunately, dynamics are one of the easiest elements of a drum corps show to modify - especially once the players are physically fit enough to properly handle it.

BD-hater !! (j/k :P )

~G~

No, I think it is just that we all come to expect them to have a stellar hornline. . .and sometimes they are not at their typical greatness. Reputations can help or hurt a corps.

in '02, Boston beat BD in percussion at a show....

I am hoping that Bluecoats are purposely holding back on horn dynamics until late season. During the ensemble rehearsal that I attended last week, I heard a lot of "don't play this any louder than you need to."

As I understand it, this is the case.

Didn't BD get 6th in brass last year at SA? And then the next show got beat by Crown in brass? So there was a time last season when they were 7th in brass!!!!

Then they finished 4th at finals...and didn't sound half bad!

It happens... I believe other brasslines are finally playing up to the standard BD has set 20 times!

"don't play this any louder than you need to."

Just trying to picture anyone at Regiment saying this to a buick, lol.