Water breaks

In light of recent events in Pittsburg, KS...

How often should a corps be given water breaks during a rehearsal, and how long should they be? What about when the heat index is above 100? What about when it's below 70? What about for a corps whose average age is 20, or a corps whose average age is 16? Should the corps provide a few coolers full of extra water or gatorade for when it's really hot, so the members don't have to worry about their own supply running out?

Back when I marched, in the 90's, we got a water break of at least 5 minutes every hour, or more often if it was hotter. In the hottest conditions we probably got a 5 minute break every half hour or even more often than that. And we were just fine, the only people who had heat-related injuries were those not taking care of themselves.

I know alot of corps do "gush n go" water breaks, where they run off the field real quick, chug some water, then run back on the field and continue rehearsal. And they'll do this at least every 30 minutes. I'm not the biggest fan of that because although it might hydrate you, you don't get any physical or mental rest out of it. During a 5 minute break you get to sit, maybe even in shade, lie down and stare at the sky, talk to people about nothing in particular, make jokes, whatever. And then go back on the field a little more fresh mentally and physically, as well as more hydrated.

What does everyone else think about it?

That's funny, when I read the topic, I thought it was going to be a chemistry lesson. Oh well...

I was thinking more along the line of anatomy :rock:

Edited by bari_benzo

In light of recent events in Pittsburg, KS...

How often should a corps be given water breaks during a rehearsal, and how long should they be? What about when the heat index is above 100? What about when it's below 70? What about for a corps whose average age is 20, or a corps whose average age is 16? Should the corps provide a few coolers full of extra water or gatorade for when it's really hot, so the members don't have to worry about their own supply running out?

Back when I marched, in the 90's, we got a water break of at least 5 minutes every hour, or more often if it was hotter. In the hottest conditions we probably got a 5 minute break every half hour or even more often than that. And we were just fine, the only people who had heat-related injuries were those not taking care of themselves.

I know alot of corps do "gush n go" water breaks, where they run off the field real quick, chug some water, then run back on the field and continue rehearsal. And they'll do this at least every 30 minutes. I'm not the biggest fan of that because although it might hydrate you, you don't get any physical or mental rest out of it. During a 5 minute break you get to sit, maybe even in shade, lie down and stare at the sky, talk to people about nothing in particular, make jokes, whatever. And then go back on the field a little more fresh mentally and physically, as well as more hydrated.

What does everyone else think about it?

Depends - we watched a Devils practice in Denver '04 and they took extended water and rest breaks. I suggested to our corps director that we try this and he wisely pointed out that our corps was a lot younger and getting their heads back into rehearsal after extended breaks would be a lot harder. We did the gulp and go thing.

On the flip side we were in Kansas and it was so stinking hot that we just did sectionals inside most of the day including a hyped show and tell for each section. We did I think one run through on the field before leaving for the stadium. You have to use some sense for the sake of the kids' health.

Back at Magic we typically had water breaks every 15-20 minutes, but they were always "gush and go," lasting more than 30 seconds. There was typically an extended, 5 minutes or so) break every hour.

During a 5 minute break you get to sit, maybe even in shade, lie down and stare at the sky, talk to people about nothing in particular, make jokes, whatever. And then go back on the field a little more fresh mentally and physically, as well as more hydrated.

I agree with you.. longer breaks are much more beneficial in the long run. Hydration isn't the only thing you need to focus on taking care of when you're out in the heat and sun for extended periods doing strenuous activity.

I've said this a couple of times but I grew up in the desert. When other kids in other states had earthquake or tornado preparedness training, we got desert survival training. Any 10 year old in Arizona when I was growing up could tell you how much water you needed to keep in the car at all times, the contents of an emergency desert survival kit for your car, how to turn your car into an emergency signal (no, not lighting it on fire) and how to get water out of the ground or a cactus if needed. We were also taught how to get a Gila Monster off you after the jaws locked if you were stupid or slow enough to get bit by one... but that's another story entirely.

The point is, we were taught and presumed everyone knew that during the hottest part of the day, you conserved your energy. You didn't go walking off to find help. You sat in the shade (not IN the car.. great way to fry your brain) and you rested .. and you looked for help or food at night -- like all desert animals.. In the event that you MUST be active (not in the case of emergency or desert breakdown.. just in general), we were taught not only to make sure to stay hydrated.. but also to take frequent REST BREAKS. Your body, no matter how strong you are, or how well conditioned you are, NEEDS to rest in that kind of weather. Operating at all in that situation is a stress on all your body functions.. operating on ALL CYLINDERS in that situation is downright dangerous.

Physically, your body REQUIRES rest periods in high heat/humidity.

I know there are a lot of people who believe in the "gush & go" theory of rehearsal productivity.. but tell me, on a day when you did full rehearsals in that kind of weather, did your show that night suffer? Were you extra tired? How do you think you would have fared if you had taken some periodic breaks and given your body a chance to revive itself along the way?

As a performer, I've done both.. I've seen, first hand, the difference in outcomes from the two practices.

Longer breaks are better, IME.

Stef

I never felt that the gush-and-go approach affected the nights performance. I noticed a much stronger correlation between the amount of "floor time" a corps gets after a night of travel and the nights performance.

Speaking as a desert combat veteran, corps should take water breaks at least once an hour. And each member should drink at least 1 ltr of water. I realise that this may seem like a lot, but trust me, in the long run you corps will be healthier for it. In country we were required to drink water as often as possible (even if we weren't active at the time). Dehydration and/or heat exhaustion can lead to serious medical complications. Another thing to take into consideration is that once you become a heat casualty, you are more likely to become one again. "Once a heat casualty - Always a heat casualty."

Remember, no matter how hard you are pushing for that placement, the health of you corps members MUST be the overriding priority.