on the carelessness of the development of drill design

No, and I am not talking about his drill specifically, just that kind of drill. The kind where it's a bunch of wavy lines and curves. It just doesn't make any sense and has nothing to do with the show. I am not proclaiming to be a master of any sort, but when I write drill, I always to try to make as much of as possible relate to the show theme itself. And that wavy-spaghetti drill just looks like such a cop-out. I know not every shows has a theme that can be shown as visually as Spin Cycle or Pathways, but they could at least make it interesting and put some cool moves in there. I don't want to single out the Cadets, cause they catch enough crap on here and they are not the only corps that does this, but when I watch their drill I just can't help but wondering why they're even marching at all. Most recent years, it doesn't seem to me like their drill adds anything to their show at all. It's just...there.

I think you best learn the history of how drill evolved from the pre-80 symetry to today's assymetric style. It's easy to say "I wouldn't write a drill that way" or "that's stupid, who would write a show like that" when you don't know the background of why he did it. Zingali was breaking a lot rules and ground just by having such drill. The level of integration between music and drill really didn't occur until Cavies proved that it can be done in 2002. It's true BY TODAY'S STANDARDS that was just plain careless and had no meaning to it but today's standards weren't there in 1981/2. Zingali was SETTING THE STANDARDS.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'm not talking about any 80's or really even 90's shows. The vast majority of corps even in the 00's still do that kind of drill. And it looks lame.

But I'm not talking about any 80's or really even 90's shows. The vast majority of corps even in the 00's still do that kind of drill. And it looks lame.

So you're saying the only allowable drill moves allowed are blocks and straight lines? Curves are no longer acceptable? :worthy:

Edited by sburstall

I think he's asking that drill be written with an intention in mind, that there be no wasted moves. Too often drill can make it look like the members are moving for the sake of moving, and that's something (out of a great many things) that John and I agree on.

I think he's asking that drill be written with an intention in mind, that there be no wasted moves. Too often drill can make it look like the members are moving for the sake of moving, and that's something (out of a great many things) that John and I agree on.

Far be it for me to disagree with a son of Feanor :P

I can buy that arguement. But what defines "moving for the sake of moving"? Again it depends on who's writing the drill. To Corps A, the staff (both marching and music) agree that this would be a great place to move.

I swear, this is absolutely the first time I've +EVER+ heard anyone say that the formations the corps makes on the field have to have something to do with the theme of the show. - :worthy: - I always just thought it had to look cool, have some nice "wow" moments, and make sense within the context of the music they're playing at that moment. Unless you are doing some artsy-fartsy Cavies-type theme that's all about shapes, that is. But if your theme is "Alice in Wonderland" or a Depression-era dance marathon ... rather than "Squares and Triangles in Ab-minor" ... well, I guess I just don't get it.

Whole discussion reminds me of the old saying that only fellow artists can understand really good art and everything else is for the "unwashed masses".

Problem here is there aren't enough corps around to have shows for both groups. :(

No, and I am not talking about his drill specifically, just that kind of drill. The kind where it's a bunch of wavy lines and curves. It just doesn't make any sense and has nothing to do with the show. I am not proclaiming to be a master of any sort, but when I write drill, I always to try to make as much of as possible relate to the show theme itself. And that wavy-spaghetti drill just looks like such a cop-out. I know not every shows has a theme that can be shown as visually as Spin Cycle or Pathways, but they could at least make it interesting and put some cool moves in there. I don't want to single out the Cadets, cause they catch enough crap on here and they are not the only corps that does this, but when I watch their drill I just can't help but wondering why they're even marching at all. Most recent years, it doesn't seem to me like their drill adds anything to their show at all. It's just...there.

I really have to disagree with you on the statement about Cadets. I really think that they steped it up last year. Especially the "Liquid" section of their show. It was just as "logical" as any thing I have seen from Cavies. The thing about Cavaliers. At least from my point of view . When the Cavaliers initiate a form movement it leads your eyes easier. Which for the average person (and I)in the stands is easy to appreciate. I am not by any means saying that it is easy to perform. But if everyone was doing the same thing we would not be able to call it an art form. Just as Cavies have suttle things that make up their show. So do all other Corps. or groups. Otherwise we would be watching cookie cutter shows. And the activity would never progress.

I really have to disagree with you on the statement about Cadets. I really think that they steped it up last year. Especially the "Liquid" section of their show. It was just as "logical" as any thing I have seen from Cavies. The thing about Cavaliers. At least from my point of view . When the Cavaliers initiate a form movement it leads your eyes easier. Which for the average person (and I)in the stands is easy to appreciate. I am not by any means saying that it is easy to perform. But if everyone was doing the same thing we would not be able to call it an art form. Just as Cavies have suttle things that make up their show. So do all other Corps. or groups. Otherwise we would be watching cookie cutter shows. And the activity would never progress.

I would agree. Last year's "Liquid" was the best drill on the field. Though there were some excellent isolated moves by other corps, only Liquid flowed (pardon the pun) from start to finish. I think the rest of the Cadets 2005 program, and 2006 failed to live up to the standard set by Liquid. This year in particular they move a lot, and it looks hard, but it doesn't do anything for me. No drill-based "wow" moments, and the musical flow just isn't there at all.

I'll tell you what...no one's talking about it yet, but they will be after the season: The Blue Devils this year have some of the most musical and unique drill I've ever seen. They are doing some running around, but the way the show flows is amazing...and they have some really fantastic looking moves scattered throughout, and every one complements what they are doing musically.