Scores: Disturbing Consistency this year

Thank you for that but just ask Stef. Im POed because the Scouts havent won DCI in awhile. Hopefully you are not an ex Scout or we both could get the sourgrapes slam.

:huh:

Well if you'd stop making that sour grapes face when you talk about how everyone's getting slotted and Madison's getting the shaft, I guess I wouldn't have that impression then, would I?

/sarcasm

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact they remain so consistent from show to show with different panels, different conditions, different levels of performance doesnt raise a question in your mind in the least?

What it told me up until recently was that they were evenly matched. But, when Madison beat them in head to head competition for the first time this week in Tupelo, and by a significant spread, that told me that panel called it as they saw it on that night, and they saw Madison as significantly better. Is that the exception in judging as opposed to the rule?? I cannot say. We'll see in the days ahead when they face each other head-to-head.

Edited by Jim Anello

:huh:

Well if you'd stop making that sour grapes face when you talk about how everyone's getting slotted and Madison's getting the shaft, I guess I wouldn't have that impression then, would I?

/sarcasm

Youre confusing me when have I ever said that Madison is getting the shaft this year? What was that about putting words in ones mouth again?

Edited by dans24103

That's not bias, them's jus' de fac's.

So sayeth Stefanie!

(You forgot the IMO, or are you exempt from that?)

The fact they remain so consistent from show to show with different panels, different conditions, different levels of performance doesnt raise a question in your mind in the least?

Dan,

You made some really telling points in your posts. It is nice to read posts by someone who is able to discuss this subject logically. I would suggest simply ignoring the silly and nasty responses and stick to responding only to reasoned argument.

Vic Russell

I don't know about "slotting" but sometimes I wonder if they draw straws to see which of the "three" will "win", it does seem the same every other year doesn't it? :P b**bs

Edited by Lancerlady

...Bluecoats have never beaten the Cadets in their history...

how much you wanna bet?

:rolleyes:

if there was slotting this year, we'd see the same ole faces at the top. Cavies, Cadets, BD and SCV.

right now Phanton and Blue are there, cadets and SCV behind them. And, given that the next pack back is tight and has room to grow, we could see someone do a run like Boston in 00.

Remember them? They came out of DCi East sitting about 8th. ended up 5th.

as people keep tweaking shows, or even peaking, ya never just know, and this year seems to be the most unpredictable year in DCI since I'd say probably 1992

Get over the fact that certain corps are not moving up. That just means they are not good enough. People who complain of slotting tend to be upset that their particular favorite corps is not in the top 3 or 5 or 7 or whatever. Face it, if your corps is not scoring as high as you would like, it is because they have some work to do!

My beef with the scoring system is not the fact that certain corps end up in a certain position. However, it is merely the fact that the judges seem to already know that Corps A show design is destined for the Top 3. Corps B, whose show design is destined for 6-8 has no chance in #### of beating a Top 3 corps.

I have my opinions on show design, but in the end I think the judges are pretty accurate when it comes to Finals night placements. But lets just say for example, BD noticibly has an awful show either Thurs, Fri or Saturday night in Madison. Do you really think that the judges will "punish" them for those flaws? Do the Bluecoats REALLY have a chance to jump 2 points in one night to catch the Blue Devils?

Corps should be judged on that nights performance, not on their expected Finals placements.

My beef with the scoring system is not the fact that certain corps end up in a certain position. However, it is merely the fact that the judges seem to already know that Corps A show design is destined for the Top 3. Corps B, whose show design is destined for 6-8 has no chance in #### of beating a Top 3 corps.

I have my opinions on show design, but in the end I think the judges are pretty accurate when it comes to Finals night placements. But lets just say for example, BD noticibly has an awful show either Thurs, Fri or Saturday night in Madison. Do you really think that the judges will "punish" them for those flaws? Do the Bluecoats REALLY have a chance to jump 2 points in one night to catch the Blue Devils?

Corps should be judged on that nights performance, not on their expected Finals placements.

How would you know what the "correct" placement is? How would anybody know? A judge has his/her opinion, and that's it. I have never heard a judge say that they know who is the best, and that's final. They judge what THEY see, not what anybody else sees. It's kinda hard to say an opinion is wrong; It's just different from you own.

Besides, is it possible that Corps A (BD, Cavies, Cadets) could have a better show design that corps B (BAC, SCV, Crown)? AHHHH!!!! BLASPHEMY!!!!! NOT POSSIBLE!!!!

Execution can only take you so far. A top-notch show design is also nessesary to win in this activity.

Football analogy. Let's say you've got a defensive line that averages 5'10'', 200 lbs., and the other team has a offensive line that averages 6'6'', 310 lbs. Who do you think is going to dominate? No matter how hard that defensive line works, that are just not going to beat that offensive line.

Edited by WOOHOO