Scores: Disturbing Consistency this year

Youre confusing me when have I ever said that Madison is getting the shaft this year? What was that about putting words in ones mouth again?

Umm.. yeah.. I guess you missed the "/sarcasm" part at the end, there?

Besides, you're the one who said I thought you were POd cause of Madison's placement. I never mentioned that at all until you did. Mostly because that's not what I was thinking.. but again, you're the mind-reader in the bunch so who am I to question?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sayeth Stefanie!

(You forgot the IMO, or are you exempt from that?)

Well.. I guess it would depend on your reading comprehension skills.

My last comment was relative to the paragraph and a half above it.. so since you obviuosly missed it, I'll re-iterate the FACT I stated so you can have a second chance at picking up on it:

Probably for the same reason they don't line up and award figure skating choreographers either.

The competition is between the atheletes and the score sheets. The design of the show is the VEHICLE by which they compete.. if you have an overly simple or flawed vehicle to begin with, you won't be able to compete at the level from which champions are chosen.

That's not bias, them's jus' de fac's.

Kindly tell me how what I said and what it related to is my opinion? THE FACT IS that figure skaters are competing against set criteria (i.e., "atheletes competing against the sheets"). THE FACT IS that the design of the program is the vehicle by which they compete. A simple design may be received well and performed well .. but without the additional levels of difficulty and complexity necessary to succeed ON THE SHEETS, that athelete -- regardless of how cleanly they perform their program -- will not win.

Next time you watch a figure skating program, please let me know so we can watch it together and I'll be happy to count up the times a commentator who used to be an athelete in that sport says, "nicely done, but it's not the difficulty s/he needs to pass" so-and-so for the medal... or something to that effect.

Unlike you, apparently, I have the ability to determine what is opinion and what is fact. If it's MY OPINION, I'll claim it. If it's a stand-alone fact, I'll let you know since it manages to escape you, even on explanation.

I don't know about "slotting" but sometimes I wonder if they draw straws to see which of the "three" will "win", it does seem the same every other year doesn't it? :P b**bs

Yet if you took a newbie to a show this year and let them see Cavaliers, then had Boston and Spirit follow them, I would wager a dinner at the Ponderosa Steakhouse that they'd correctly pick the order each would finish, even if they didn't know anything about the judging system.

Yeah, it's a little boring to have had the same 3 corps winning most of the titles the last 20 years, but it's not like those three haven't been earning their keep. It frustrates me to see how tame the programming in the middle of the pack is, as it's that lack of risk-taking that is partly responsible for their middling finishes.

But, to paraphrase the Man, "the fault, dear Bluecoats/Glassmen/Boston/Madison/Crown, etc, etc, etc, lies not in your judges but in your programming, that you are underlings."

I understand what you're saying, but I was referring to head to head competition. Aren't you comparing scores in the following evening where they were at different shows? With different panels and all, I don't know the value of making such a comparison.

Jim, you make a good point. The scores were from different shows, and I probably would have been better off comparing just head to head competition scores. I still think that come Finals, we'll see very little Corps placement movement beyond 2 ,or at most 3 , positions from last year among the top 14 or so Corps. ' Hope I'm wrong here. I'd be really refreshing to see a shock or two at Finals. What do you think ?

Edited by X DM

Slotting is a fact of life in DCI. The member corps are DCI. The member corps pay the judges. The judges will certainly not bite the hand that feeds them.

Wouldn't it be a good thing, Strutta, if come Finals week, the program book lists all the judges at FIinals ...names and qualifications ? What would be so wrong with that ? Just list the judge with his or her picture, and inform the paying fans about their background and training, ie what schools they attended, degree, Corps they themselves have taught and when, where they marched if at all, and their full time positions, and if they perform Corporate Sponsored teaching seminars in the off season and who those Corporate sponsors are, maybe even list their outside hobbies beyond Drum Corps, etc ? just personalize these judges a little more for the fans. Information and knowlege can never be a bad thing, right ? Good idea ?

Edited by X DM

Yet if you took a newbie to a show this year and let them see Cavaliers, then had Boston and Spirit follow them, I would wager a dinner at the Ponderosa Steakhouse that they'd correctly pick the order each would finish, even if they didn't know anything about the judging system.

Yeah, it's a little boring to have had the same 3 corps winning most of the titles the last 20 years, but it's not like those three haven't been earning their keep. It frustrates me to see how tame the programming in the middle of the pack is, as it's that lack of risk-taking that is partly responsible for their middling finishes.

But, to paraphrase the Man, "the fault, dear Bluecoats/Glassmen/Boston/Madison/Crown, etc, etc, etc, lies not in your judges but in your programming, that you are underlings."

This is true...but would that same person be able to distinguish the differences between Bluecoats/Glassmen/Boston/Madison/Crown? It seems as though these corps fall in the same order every night consistently without fail. Just playing devils advocate here.

*coughcoughbull####coughcough*

really???

I suppose the yellow paper incident several years back didn't really happen either. I've also heard it from more than one judge or former judge that such practices go on...but keep deluding yourself and keep coughing up the dough to see the DCI 'competitions'...