Mid Season Analysis

I was pointing out how you said it was 'Fact'. Unless you have ESP, I don't think anyone can say without doubt that any particular corps will finish top 3. We can all guess...but that is it.

I agree--its fine to have opinions--but to say something is fact or even has a stastical chance of 10% when your only willing to consider what has happened thus far this year and not historical facts (which I believe statistics are usually based off history--must have missed that class when you base statistical chance off events that haven't happened yet), just kind of misses the point--a different champion each night...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the veneer of fact brought about by the random use of percentages. Statistics for invalidating the opinions of others. Groovy.

As for the constant need for a Top 3 coronation, repeating something over and over again makes it true, apparently. That's why Regiment wasn't in the Top 3 last year.

[yawn]

I think I must have missed something when I watched the BD show in Louisville (but I could have caught them on a bad night), but I just am not seeing this BD show as the invincible juggernaut that everyone else seems to think it is. I wonder if those who have not actually seen the show in person are basing their opinion simply on the video and audio available on line along with the reviews offered here on DCP? Until a show has been seen live and prefereably more than once, it is next to impossible to accurately assess the merits of any show. I have yet to see the Cavaliers, so I really do not have any opnion on them as of yet. But I can tell you that based on the BD performance in Louisville, they did not look like DCI champions. And I really think it premature to say that PR, Bluecoats and The Cadets will not be able to catch them.

I wonder if those who have not actually seen the show in person are basing their opinion simply on the video and audio available on line along with the reviews offered here on DCP? Until a show has been seen live and prefereably more than once, it is next to impossible to accurately assess the merits of any show.

I have seen the show live and more than once. Yes, it's a contender, though I think that Cavaliers (whom I've also seen live) will win.

I have not seen Cavie's show, but in Battle Creek, it was very obvious that BD was on another plateau than even 'Coats and PR, even though those two were on another level than the rest of the corps... The only danger I think BD faces is peaking too early...

and they weren't even as good at the show as at their run-through that afternoon

I have not seen Cavie's show, but in Battle Creek, it was very obvious that BD was on another plateau than even 'Coats and PR, even though those two were on another level than the rest of the corps... The only danger I think BD faces is peaking too early...

I think that is very possible. They have fantastic marching ability and their major drill moves are being perfomed very cleanly, not much room for growth there. And the show really doesn't have much room for any new impact points. The most room for growth in my opinion is in brass performance (and with that, music GE). The horn line was extremely ragged by BD standards when I saw them and more precisely, the trumpets had bigtime intonation problems and tone quality issues. And the power just seemed to be lacking. All of these can be fixed, but I suspect that this show is really in danger of peaking too soon.

And when one of the big impact moments of the show is forming a fish skeleton and stopping for a hit coupled with matching fish flags, there really isn't anthing that you can do to improve that. Once it's clean (and it pretty much is) it is a fixed quantity and there is no room for growth with these kinds of impacts. Unfortunately, the show relies too heavily on these sort of effects and I think that the show will therefore max out before Madison. But, they are SOOO talented, you never know.

I think that is very possible. They have fantastic marching ability and their major drill moves are being perfomed very cleanly, not much room for growth there. And the show really doesn't have much room for any new impact points. The most room for growth in my opinion is in brass performance (and with that, music GE). The horn line was extremely ragged by BD standards when I saw them and more precisely, the trumpets had bigtime intonation problems and tone quality issues. And the power just seemed to be lacking. All of these can be fixed, but I suspect that this show is really in danger of peaking too soon.

And when one of the big impact moments of the show is forming a fish skeleton and stopping for a hit coupled with matching fish flags, there really isn't anthing that you can do to improve that. Once it's clean (and it pretty much is) it is a fixed quantity and there is no room for growth with these kinds of impacts. Unfortunately, the show relies too heavily on these sort of effects and I think that the show will therefore max out before Madison. But, they are SOOO talented, you never know.

I think you make very valid points, and agree with you... I would love to see some re-writes especially in the vis program, but I'm just not sure it will happen... I guess if they peak soon enough, they may have no choice...