Anyone else think Regiment can win this thing?

and I DARE someone to say I hate Phantom.

I will laugh at you if you do.

~>conner

Spoken like a true Regiment hater. . . B)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When, in the last 10 years (excluding 96), has Phantom had a truly STUNNING visual program, G? and winning a championship requires numbers, no?

2003 was appropriate, 2005 was championship quality (2nd in visual i believe?)

I refuse to give a classic Phantom drill, because 06 does not imitate anythign they have done. from what I have seen, it is a faint resemblence of every year since 1997. Not a carbon copy (they aren't The Cadets, afterall :P) but the design is... well... similar.

cute shot at Cadets... to bad you're confusing them with the variations-on-a-block Cavaliers. and the design is not similar. you can see clear differenced in 01, 02, 03/04, and 05/06. differnet writers different designs.

End of story. If Phantom wants to win, Phantom needs to rethink their design. Because "Classic" Phantom wont get them anywhere.

~>conner

they dont really need to rethink it, like i said they took 2nd in visual last year with a 4th place guard.

I foresee, as I have all season, Bluecoats being left behind by PR and Cadets due to the changes being made in their shows. In the end it will come down to a 4 team race and Bluecoats better hope that the rest of the 2nd tier corps dont catch up to them.

(sarcasm on) That's right ... the Bluecoats certainly wouldn't attempt to make changes to THEIR show to try to make themselves better. Only Phantom and Cadets are making changes -- the Bluecoats are just staying with the same exact show all season and crossing their fingers. (sarcasm off)

Come, dude! All corps are making changes -- and most corps are making changes that make their shows better. Will Phantom's or Cadets' changes be better than Bluecoats -- maybe. I guess we'll see. Is it likely that of those three -- Bluecoats, Phantom, Cadets -- whichever one or two make the most of their changes will pass the others by between now and Madison? Of course it is. That's what happens every year. That's the game played every summer.

And as for anyone below them catching up to them ... again, anything can happen, but I doubt it. It seems like there's big gaps between the top two (Cavies, BD), the next three (PR, Cadets, Bluecoats) and all the rest (Crown, SCV, Madison, Boston, BK, Glassmen).

Edited by BlueR36

ah, okay. I appologize for my generic statement then.

BUT you ahve to admit... and this is a fact, that if a corps tried t oimitate drill they did in the mid to late 80's, they would get TRASHED in todays drum corps.

not a bash on older drum corps, just saying... most of you would agree.

and even with those visual trophies under their belts, the last GREAT visual package out of Rockford was 96.

they've had good packages since, but nothing really screamed championship.

~>conner

Conner,

Sorry, but with all due respect and taking your age and experience into consideration, you dont really have a clue and are just making words flow out of your mouth. This answer, and in response below to my question. But please, keep loving Phantom !

~G~

(and I do mean with all due respect, theres just no other way to word it)

Edited by GMichael1230

3rd? Yes, quite possible.

2nd? Well, if BD or Cavaliers completely stall out or have a crappy August, yeah, somewhat possible.

Win it? No. BOTH of the leaders would have to choke in order for PR's show to take over, and there's not much chance that will happen. PR is performing quite well, but the show is a little too cool (emotionally) compared to the leaders, imho.

IMO, Phantom's is the most emotional show I've seen all season (and I've seen Cavies, BD, and Blooo among others.) That's just my opinion though.

Classic PR drill is top notch, award winning, formidable and trend setting....what are your examples of this, and why do you think this years offering is missing these key elements.

That's easy. No leg wedge!!!! :(

j/k- I don't have a problem with "Faust," and honestly, I don't think the wedge would work in this show. Oh well. Maybe next year.

PhantomR,

No one thinks you are a Regiment hater. Just try to refine your statements. Don't say that Regiment has a bad history of visual. Say that since '98 or so, their visual program has been lacking and the recent years have improved but not to a championship standard. Then you won't have people bashing you. Regiment has something like 10 M&M titles. More visual titles than music actually.

With that said, I will politely disagree with you. Regiment's visual is a gigantic step forward. And let's not forget San Antonio last year. Regiment finished 5th behind Madison and I believe Cadets were 3rd....maybe 2nd. Can't remember. Not saying that those two corps will have a great end of the year again. But i sincerely believe Cadets, Bluecoats, PR, BD, or Cavies all have the chance to win. There is still three entire weeks left. PR 'Coats and Cadets have their work cut out for them, but they aren't left behind yet. Can't wait for Aug. 12

Wow you guys are giving my boy Conner a hard time...

Truth be told.. (and I haven't seen PR since 6/24) Phantom Regiment will not win a World Championship with this show. They can clean it, perform the heck out of it, but Scythian Suite will NEVER EVER bring home DCI Gold.

It will take a championship quality visual performance (which PR may have this year) and a repertoire like 2003 or 2005 that the fans will just go GAGA over.

Faust is not a show that fans leave the stadium saying...wow that's the best drumcorps show out there. You all may disagree with me, and that's fine...but DCI Finals will prove me right and if I am wrong..and they win it all.. BY ALL MEANS bring this post up and I'll do something drastic to my body. MEA CULPA MEA CULPA!

I don't think Phantom Regiment finishes higher than 5th this year.

I say the real sleeper is Bluecoats. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a Top 2 finish. There is always a surprise at Finals....why not?