Anyone else think Regiment can win this thing?

They have as good a shot as any of the top 5 scoring corps right now. We all love to speculate, but we'll see which corps is executing on all cylinders on August 12. Phantom's show has the possibility to win, but so does the Cavies, BD, BLOOOO, and Cadets. They are all performing at an extremely high level already.

MAN AM I PUMPED FOR MADISON!!!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have answered emphatically "No" to this question until seeing them Saturday Night in San Antonio (3rd row upper deck on about the 42). It was amazing how much more emotion poured out of that show on Saturday night in comparison to even just Thursday night in Dallas, much less back in June. All of a sudden, the total package is emerging, and their GE scores are reflecting that.

In all honesty, I'd say chances breakdown like this:

1. Cavaliers - 60% Design. Design. Design. Awesome package, and they don't even have the ending in yet. This corps is alll about the design (not to mention talented performers) - it's innovative, creative & entertaining.

2. Blue Devils - 20% Performance, Performance, Performance. Wow. Need an ending, though, desperately.

3. Phantom Regiment - 15% Emotion. Emotion. Emotion. By far the most cleaning to do, but also by far the most emotion-packed show (and I wouldn't have said that, either before Saturday, so if you haven't seen Regiment in person in the last few days, your impression will be dated). This show is the definition of a dark horse for a Saturday night in August - very similar to 1996 in that respect. 50th Anniversary, Midwest crowd in Madison. It will be a special night regardless of where they place, and I'm betting they may be able to catch BD... I spoke with 2 friends after the show in San Antonio, and neither are ever big Regiment fans (haters almost, in fact). They were both stunned, and couldn't stop talking about Regiment. THEIR quotes - "Wow. They took me to an entirely other place twice in that show." "I started hyperventilating in the Mahler closer. Unbelievable." My quote? "Finally." I've been waiting for the potential for this show to be unlocked, and I started to see it Saturday night.

4. Cadets - 5% WTF? Ok, I was actually a big fan of Cadets '05 (one of my fav 3 shows of the summer). I even predicted they would win when I saw them in San Antonio last summer. This show? No. Design is attrocious. It's not even just the singing, characters and other antics. There are few parts of this show that connect or sell, at all, and performance levels are not at the usual Cadet standards.

5. Bluecoats - 0%. No way they win. That said, this a fabulous corps with very nice show. Perhaps a bit sterile, but crisp, clean, entertaining, and 100% Bluecoats. what it doesn't have is the emotion, wow, or creativity factors that could push it into contention in August.

Just my opinions - but again, if you are basing your opinions of Regiment on anything prior to this past weekend, think again.

Harvey

Not probable eh?

Remember what everyone thought about the Cadets score last year?

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums//ind...showtopic=68776

Anything is possible. In fact, if all goes "well" (serious sarcasm), we could be looking at the Pioneer in first with 99.25, and the Cavies in 25th place.

Hmm..

Edited by Backstrom

Wild Nights 1 and 2: always had a question about that and now seems like a good time to bring it up... Is WN2 the sort of transition piece into Lord's Prayer after the huge stinger? That section is only about a minute or so long, compared to the rest of Wild Nights, which is a couple minutes (of sheer power, pleasure and amazement I might add... :) )

So my question is: where does part 1 end and part 2 begin? It's not too clear from a fan perspective, and I always wanted to know- I LOVE that show :)

Good guess, but Wild Nights II is actually the longer of the two. Wild Nights I ends at the FIRST company front, where the corps snapped their heads to the left and then rippled backfield. To better remind you, the beginning of Wild Nights II was when the hornline was spread out facing backfield and there was a percussion feature staged front and center.

The two were largely the same piece, though I remember we did receive the sheet music as seperate pieces, and often we would rehearse the segments individually.

Good guess, but Wild Nights II is actually the longer of the two. Wild Nights I ends at the FIRST company front, where the corps snapped their heads to the left and then rippled backfield. To better remind you, the beginning of Wild Nights II was when the hornline was spread out facing backfield and there was a percussion feature staged front and center.

The two were largely the same piece, though I remember we did receive the sheet music as seperate pieces, and often we would rehearse the segments individually.

Even better was the recitation that we were supposed to do of the piece....

Remember the words tim?

I'd say they most definantly have a legit shot to win the title this year. As good as BD and Cavies are, the Phanom show has just as much demand. That was evident by tieing BD in GE and also in the performance captions where I think are at least even with both of the corps ahead of them. The Phantom brass line is off the hook, and the percussion is maybe a close 2nd to BD. But the areas that will either make or break them will be Vis. and Guard in my opinion. If the drill cleans up and the guard has great performances down the road they may very well win.

W. Perkins

BK '97 '98