San Antonio aftermath...

Nope, I'm just sad to see a great activity decline. DCI is no longer about the best corps, it's about who can please a simple minded audience the best.

DCI is not at all in decline and it is not about a simple minded audience any more so than any other part of the marching activity. Please remember that DCI is not "high art" and it never has been.

The cavies show makes sense. It is not simple, it just makes sense. To me BD's show does not. They perform it exceptionally well but I dont think it makes any sense and it in my opinion is not at all musical. Who cares how well you perform if what you are performing does not make sense or entertain.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI is not at all in decline and it is not about a simple minded audience any more so than any other part of the marching activity. Please remember that DCI is not "high art" and it never has been.

The cavies show makes sense. It is not simple, it just makes sense. To me BD's show does not. They perform it exceptionally well but I dont think it makes any sense and it in my opinion is not at all musical. Who cares how well you perform if what you are performing does not make sense or entertain.

Very nicely said.

Edited by Nice Guy

how on earth do you not understand GODFATHER... maybe you haven't seen the movies... but... COME ON!!!! rim shots in the beginning "gun fire" the cross drill " the movie poster" the dagger in the heart, the gun drill and cocking the gun, which is so cool in my opinion.

not very musical?? thats totally your opinion, but i disagree they do not just play FFF the entire time.. they do have long blow away at the end of the opener and the closer, which are probably going to be worked with. But other than that.. YES, there is dynamic contrast throughout.

i downloaded the bd and cavalier apds, i like bd a whole lot better cause they're playing music, cavaliers sounded too cut and paste from previous years, i kept listening.. and was like.. well that sounds like 2002,.. oh and thats the theme from 2003... no its not ALL like that... but the blue devils are doing something that doesn't remind me of previous years, yes it is a show that can relate to '96, but it doesn't sound like at all.

how on earth do you not understand GODFATHER... maybe you haven't seen the movies... but... COME ON!!!! rim shots in the beginning "gun fire" the cross drill " the movie poster" the dagger in the heart, the gun drill and cocking the gun, which is so cool in my opinion.

not very musical?? thats totally your opinion, but i disagree they do not just play FFF the entire time.. they do have long blow away at the end of the opener and the closer, which are probably going to be worked with. But other than that.. YES, there is dynamic contrast throughout.

i downloaded the bd and cavalier apds, i like bd a whole lot better cause they're playing music, cavaliers sounded too cut and paste from previous years, i kept listening.. and was like.. well that sounds like 2002,.. oh and thats the theme from 2003... no its not ALL like that... but the blue devils are doing something that doesn't remind me of previous years, yes it is a show that can relate to '96, but it doesn't sound like at all.

I have seen the godfather movies and with the exception of a few things that The Blue Devils do the show makes very little sense. Yes it is like the 96 show but that show made a bit more sense. When i saw 96 I got it right away. With this show I have seen it numerous times and i still dont get it. If the show did not have the title "The Godfather: Part Blue" I think a lot of people would be lost

As far as the muscality thing goes it really is not very musical (of course that is my opinion). I did not see them last night so things may have changed but the previous times I had seen or heard them the last 4 minutes was almost entirely loud. On top of that I coudl not say exactly what part of their show was supposed to be the Ballad.

When you say that BD is playing music I really wonder. I heard a couple of themes that were from the godfather movies but they dont really do anything with them. Sure those three themes create organic unity throughout the show but it just sounds like the same stuff repeated over and over again. There is a lack of contrast in the musical ideas as well asa a lack of contrast in style & dynamics. To me that is not being musical, but that is just my opinion.

One could easily argue that the Cavies dont have these things either but their show concept is well thought out and very well paced. Most of all, the cavies visual design is superior.... and that is why they won last night.

Yes, Jeff Prosperie marched Regiment 87-88 and was Perc, Caption Head 90-92 and Perc Arranger 93-94 but he is generally harder on PR than any other corps. The Brass Perf. judge also marched PR, was on on staff and is a good friend of mine. Neither would put PR ahead of any other corps based on where they marched. They are both Finals quality judges and are VERY well respected. They both give scores based on what they hear. I said three weeks ago that PR would pass Bluecoats based on the staff each corps has. Drum corps is played at an entirely differnt level whe you get into the top 4-5. BD, Cavs, PR and Cadets staffs know what it takes to be at the top. I don't think Bluecoats staff knows yet what it takes to be a contender. I foresee, as I have said before, Bluecoats ending back in fifth once Cadets make all of their changes. If Cavaliers don't add some difficulty to their show they may end up 3rd. Even my mother said they have an easy visual package.

This is totally B.S.

Mike McIntosh - Ever heard of early 2000's Cavaliers

Brett Kuhn - Ditto

Drew Shanefield- Cavaliers horn line of the 2000's

Doug Thrower-Been at this a long time

George Wozniak-Ever heard Kiskie?

Mitch Rodgers

The list goes on.

I agree that a corps (and its reputation which is almost more important) is only as good as its staff. However, you fail to see the wealth of knowledge and achievement of the staff at the Bluecoats. Know the facts before you speak!

Props to DCI for showing full shows of the corps we missed!

Yes, DCI is trying to do the right thing. My problem is that (with my eyesight) a full screen performance (using the Windows Media Player format) makes a huge difference. I am looking forward to the day when they use the Windows Media Player format and drop the Flash Media Player format.

Vic Russell

w/Stp:

Unfortunately this is the show M. Gaines gave them......the music is fun, the drill is safe! The kids can only do what they can do......I'm sure they are probably starting to wish he had included a Bubble machine, or water spout, or some sort of pyrotechnic volcano.......because at this point it is apparently not JUST about memorable music, the corps having fun, and the audience getting into it.....

I wonder if this is a problem that Spirit needs to address; I would not be comfortable with a writer who is a primary writer for a top-echelon corps writing for me if I was desiring the upper echelon as well. This is no slam on Gaines' integrity; but how can he give Spirit the same fresh, top-flight show that he gives Cavies when they are not his primary corps? I would be uncomfortable giving my best work to my competitor, whether it is intentional or not. That is a classsic conflict of interest.

Spirit may need to start developing their own dedicated visual talent...surely with the university connections, they can find a new writer that can have the skills to write to their own style at the level they need.