San Antonio aftermath...

Blooo has a pretty good guard. Even if they had a bad night, it's hard to imagine them dropping that much in four days. Oh well, we'll see what happens next time.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go just by GE, the scoring clusters have resolved to the following:

Cavies/BD/PR

Bloo/Cadets

SCV/Crown/BAC/BK

Madison

Gmen/Spirit

Can that change between now and finals? Yes, but likely not by much. I think the corps that did the most to distinguish themselves tonight was PR...that's a whopping lead in overall GE over Bloo and Cadets.

I would not put Phantom in that top 3 yet. They were still close to 2 points behind BD, whereas they are only 1 point and change over Bluecoats. They are closer to Coats and Cadets I would say. If they push to within 1 point of BD or Cavaliers, then they are in the top 3. Not now. I still thinking Bluecoats can beat Phantom. Blue got a bad read on the guard last night, so I am hoping for a better read there real soon, and Blue is very competitive with Phantom in brass, percussion, and visual. And our GE scores are going to rise significantly as the show cleans.

I really believe that Bluecoats can get very close to the Devils.

Go Blooooooo!

Nope, I'm just sad to see a great activity decline. DCI is no longer about the best corps, it's about who can please a simple minded audience the best.

You mean the the simple minded audience who paid $25 - $45 dollars per seat to see the corps yesterday. The one whom without there would be no DCI, casting your great activity into underfunded non-existence.

Of course, at least without them you would have one less thing stressing you out!

Think about it !

I would not put Phantom in that top 3 yet. They were still close to 2 points behind BD, whereas they are only 1 point and change over Bluecoats. They are closer to Coats and Cadets I would say. If they push to within 1 point of BD or Cavaliers, then they are in the top 3. Not now. I still thinking Bluecoats can beat Phantom. Blue got a bad read on the guard last night, so I am hoping for a better read there real soon, and Blue is very competitive with Phantom in brass, percussion, and visual. And our GE scores are going to rise significantly as the show cleans.

I really believe that Bluecoats can get very close to the Devils.

Go Blooooooo!

All point gaps aside, the one that matters, GE they are at the same level as BD and on the heals of Cavies. They of the top 3 corps have the most yet to clean as the Cavies and especially BD were pretty clean. If their vis. cleans up watch out!!! I was in agreeance a year ago when people said that Phantom although good was not a title contender, but this year it is a different story. If nothing else they have an opportunity to be 2nd. I think as good as the Bluecoats are, their design is not up to Phantom's this year and that is no slap at them. They wil get their turn in the very near future in the top 3, but what an accomplishment just to be where they are. This is going to be a fun end to the season.

Wes. Perkins

BK '97 '98

Does anyone see why Spirit dropped over 2 points in the evening show?

They had a well performed show in both the afternoon and evening. The show just does not have the demand that the other top 11 around them have. This is not a gripe, but I am worried for them holding their spot after seeing the Colts. If the Colts drumline gets better than they were yesterday and they clean the drill, they will make finals. I think Spirit has a very nice feel good type of show and man what a good hornline, but there's nothing that goes out on a limb and takes a chance. It feels to me to be very safe. Now with that said if you look at G-Men, and Madison, and even the Blue Knights all of the scores dropped a bit because this is the first time that such a large group of corps has competed, they had to space them out.

W. Perkins

BK '97 '98

. This is not a gripe, but I am worried for them holding their spot after seeing the Colts. If the Colts drumline gets better than they were yesterday and they clean the drill, they will make finals. I think Spirit has a very nice feel good type of show and man what a good hornline, but there's nothing that goes out on a limb and takes a chance. W. Perkins

BK '97 '98

Quite honestly there is nothing in the Colts show either, that goes "out on a limb and takes a chance".....Just another solid show....safe as it were.

Spirit is a little more up tempo during their show......but this race will probably come down to Clean feet and Big Sound.....

So the Colts will have to clean....and come up with a horn line to beat the one Spirit already has....

Should be interesting.....

Quite honestly there is nothing in the Colts show either, that goes "out on a limb and takes a chance".....Just another solid show....safe as it were.

Spirit is a little more up tempo during their show......but this race will probably come down to Clean feet and Big Sound.....

So the Colts will have to clean....and come up with a horn line to beat the one Spirit already has....

Windsprints is a pretty hard song sitting down... marching and playing it would take a pretty high level of demand.

~>conner

Does anyone see why Spirit dropped over 2 points in the evening show?

Simple show dynamics methinks. First on in finals being judged as opposed to being on near last in the prelims. This happens frequently on a two-show day, or even from one night to another.

My 2 cents is that Spirit was MUCH better in the evening than they were in the afternoon but they are being handcuffed by a show that is basically just there and a color guard that doesn't do much to make you remember them. To me, spirit is about the music and selling that southern jazz style they are starting to get a handle on.

Edited by decompressed

I think the Colts are very close to finals. They have a couple of WOW moments with their guard and this is something Spirit does not have in their show. As you said, how much Colts' music ensemble can do in the next two weeks will be the difference. If the Colts hornline can refine their sound, address the performance issues that pop up here and there, they can be right on Spirit's heel. Of course, percussively, the Colts have much ground to make up.

It will be interesting to see how much ground, if any, the Iowa corps can make up in Atlanta.

Peace Out!