Why no scores?

All I wanted to do was see the scores from San Antonio.

I went to DCP, which is usually my source for all things Drum Corps.

No score thread in Junior Corps area that I could see. Ok, go to home page.

Nothing. Ok, click scores.

NOTHING!

I gave up and went to the DCI site.

Seems to me that people would like to have easy access to scores, especially on a championship weekend.

Thanks!

-Chris

pS not a complaint - I love the site.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCP reports the scores?

Sorry you had a problem finding the information you were looking for, Chris. It was there - but I can see how one might have a difficult time.

There was a thread with the scores - however, they're buried in the 193 pages of the "The San Antonio Texas Saloon..." thread. (Page 176 of the thread - the 1757th post!). Hardly an easy find for someone that hadn't been a part of the conversation.

We updated our DCP Caption Ranking System with the recaps Saturday evening - so all of the scores were in the Division 1 rankings. The best place to look is the "Unweighted" Overall Scores page to get the best info. Have a look at the Caption Ranking System - where you can get a really good look at how the scores measure-up.

You're right - we do not publish the overall summary or recap 'box' scores in our news sections ..... per our agreement with and in-support of DCI. There's a handy link on our Caption Ranking System pages to the DCI scores page - where you can find the information in its original format. We update our Caption Ranking database with the recap data - to present to you in our own unique format.

Thanks for the feedback!

-john

Is there a way we can just get a score post -- maybe even lock and pin it in a subforum just for scores so the conversation will continue on the original thread -- but we can find just the scores easily?

The past couple of really major shows I did the same thing Chris did.. search for a bit, then give up and go to DCI.org.

I recognize that.. that's why I asked for the option I did.. the lounges are great, honestly.. it's like a big meeting hall where people can gather to wait for scores.. they're fun to participate in.. but I'm not always here to do that.. and when the scores are in (i.e., the next morning), weeding through 1700 posts to find them is a little out of control.

I understand the need to consolidate. But during the season, couldn't we have a "scores" subforum where replies can't be made.. only single posts (we used to have that feature -- you could make a subforum post only, no replies allowed) that way we can search thread titles rather than 1700 posts. When the season is over, you can close the forum. Open it up again next season.

It's just a thought.. it'd be nice to have a place where we can find scores easily.

Sure - those things are possible ..... however, my subtle point was missed. As I noted above:

You're right - we do not publish the overall summary or recap 'box' scores in our news sections ..... per our agreement with and in-support of DCI.

If you'd like to find the recaps in their original format or in the absence of an easy-to-find thread in the forums, please visit DCI's score page.

We'll continue to encourage our users to post scores and discuss the results. In-fact, if anyone would like to make a point of creating a new thread with the scores from any given show - feel free to do so. However, we won't be setting up a special sub-forum for the specific purpose of reporting scores.

Thank you for your support.

-john

I guess I'm misunderstanding what your agreement with DCI is.

From what you've said, I take it it's okay for someone random to post the scores in the midst of a thread, but it's not okay to post a thread that gives the scores? I promise I'm not arguing, I'm just confused.

I don't think anyone is saying to post the recaps.

I'm just asking if we can have a single post -- not buried in a thousand replies -- that gives the scores from the show.

Give us a link to the DCI recap or scores page if you need to.. but isn't there a way it can be easier to find just the scores on DCP?

Edited by ScribeToo

I guess I'm misunderstanding what your agreement with DCI is.

From what you've said, I take it it's okay for someone random to post the scores in the midst of a thread, but it's not okay to post a thread that gives the scores? I promise I'm not arguing, I'm just confused.

I don't think anyone is saying to post the recaps.

I'm just asking if we can have a single post -- not buried in a thousand replies -- that gives the scores from the show.

Give us a link to the DCI recap or scores page if you need to.. but isn't there a way it can be easier to find just the scores on DCP?

As noted above - I'm quite happy to permit/allow/encourage someone (perhaps YOU) to create a new thread at the end of EVERY show, with the title "Scores from [insert name here] Show on [insert date here]". This should make it quite easy for those that are interested in looking for the scores from a particular show to easily find them.

If members would then like to discuss those scores in that thread - GREAT!!! PERFECT!!! EVEN BETTER!!!!! For those that are interested only in the numbers - they should be very easy to find.

The only thing that we won't be doing - is creating a special sub-forum or providing any special 'treatment' for those threads. That's where we start venturing into an area that I'd rather stay away from on the site.

That was what I intended to communicate when I wrote ....

We'll continue to encourage our users to post scores and discuss the results. In-fact, if anyone would like to make a point of creating a new thread with the scores from any given show - feel free to do so. However, we won't be setting up a special sub-forum for the specific purpose of reporting scores.
I thought that was pretty clear.

BTW - this is NO different from the way things have been for years on DCP .... people rushing to be the FIRST one to post a new thread with the scores. What has changed is the emergence of the "[show Name] Saloon" - where people hang-out and chat before/during the show. I'd like to see the community do both.

Hopefully that helps clarify things.

-john

BTW - this is NO different from the way things have been for years on DCP .... people rushing to be the FIRST one to post a new thread with the scores

actually up until this year we always posted them right on the news page so they were easy to find:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040725042905/...orpsplanet.com/

there was a score summary page with all the recent scores in one place also