So I'm confused...why is BD's show considered repetitive?

How is the show repetitive? It seems there are dozens of different themes and melodies that are interspersed throughout the show. The main theme is only played by the full corps twice: the big hit in the opener, and the end of the closer. Yes, the end of the opener and end of the closer do sound similar and have some of the same music. But other than that, what else to people find repetitive?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the show repetitive? It seems there are dozens of different themes and melodies that are interspersed throughout the show. The main theme is only played by the full corps twice: the big hit in the opener, and the end of the closer. Yes, the end of the opener and end of the closer do sound similar and have some of the same music. But other than that, what else to people find repetitive?

Well, did you read the thread?

At least for me, what is repetitive is the fact that there's only about 3 themes at work in the show. And so they have to keep "recycling" if you will, the love theme, etc. I like the show, don't get me wrong, but I think that's what people think is repetitive.

3 Words:

Downey's Arranging Style

How many times do we have to hear the theme to the GF? It's used over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over..... I keep hoping for another offer that I can take them up on to end the abuse

Well, did you read the thread?

At least for me, what is repetitive is the fact that there's only about 3 themes at work in the show. And so they have to keep "recycling" if you will, the love theme, etc. I like the show, don't get me wrong, but I think that's what people think is repetitive.

The corps plays the Love Theme two (2) times! There way more than three themes. I could go off the APD and list them all but I'm lazy.

I think just the fact that it is the Godfather, and is so well known to begin with is a big part of why people think it is overly repetitive. I think there are a few scenes like the wedding that weren't used at all, or vary little, that would have worked well.

I do however like the show, and like the brass arranging far better than the last three or four years of staccatto notes followed by a loud high chord over and over again.

I think what everyone is forgetting is this: they couldn't get the rights to all of the music from the movies they would have liked, so they had to make due with what they got. And in my opinion, they've done a fantastic job. Like people have said before, this is the first Blue Devils show in a while that has actual melodic development...and it rocks.

Edited by Hrothgar15

3 Words:

Downey's Arranging Style

:rock::blink:

I know exactly what you're talking about... My theory is that they probably only got like 50 measures of music to work with so they extended it into an 11 minute show...