Cadets guard/character uniforms...

Valid critique, bashing or martyrdom?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Cadets guard being singled out for criticism?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • No opinion / don't really care.

I would say that the answer would have to be yes, if for nothing else than the fact that this is one of the elites of the activity. bawker, you pointed it out very well when you mentioned that Seattle Cascades' use of narration is hardly ever mentioned on these boards.

Well, that was last year. And it was mentioned quite a bit last year.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm. I'm completely failing to see anything wrong with the ensemble guard costuming this year for the Cadets. It might be a little rough on the eyes, but the patterns are the psychadelic stuff they're going for.

I think the questions about The Cadets color guard are just.

After last years guard that was so promitley displayed in their 2005 production.

In last years ballad The Cadets guard was front and center. This year they're in the background.

Last the guard was the main sorce of visual interpetation. This year you have the Queen of Hearts, White Rabitt, MadHatter and Dani stealing your focus.

The fact is The Cadets guard is doing great work. You just have so much other stuff going on this year that you miss some really cool stuff.excuse the spelling.

I think the questions about The Cadets color guard are just.

After last years guard that was so promitley displayed in their 2005 production.

In last years ballad The Cadets guard was front and center. This year they're in the background.

Last the guard was the main sorce of visual interpetation. This year you have the Queen of Hearts, White Rabitt, MadHatter and Dani stealing your focus.

The fact is The Cadets guard is doing great work. You just have so much other stuff going on this year that you miss some really cool stuff.excuse the spelling.

Those characters are part of the guard. How can they steal the focus from something they are a part of?

Those characters are part of the guard. How can they steal the focus from something they are a part of?

Analogy: compare a vocal choir with a musical theater show. In a vocal choir, you have many musicians all performing the same piece, and while they take different parts, no one group steals the show. In a musical theater production, a few central characters are backed up by a larger chorus. While the chorus is essential, the lead roles clearly are the focus of the production.

A modern color guard is usually composed of your typical flag, rifle, and saber groups, but outside of big features and solos the ensemble doesn't put any one individual or section first. This year's Cadets show has several characters to move the story of the production along, but with the added vocals they are clearly meant to draw the attention of the audience.

I won't say if this is good or bad at all, but they clearly are the focus and they are also part of the guard.

Several thoughts on this topic:

1. I don't find the costumes of the Cadets' guard to be particularly controversial...in fact, I barely remember them after having seen the show twice. On the other hand, I do think the outfit worn by the Red Queen is a bit over the top and a blatant attempt to bring a rather sexy, sultry, risque flair to the character.

2. In and of itself, the costuming is not what has aroused controversy. Witness the many other corps that have used similarly revealing outfits (Madison's Carmen comes immediately to mind) to little or no discussion. However, when such a costume appears in a show as controversial and divisive as that of the Cadets, then the costuming becomes part and parcel of the broader production and one more thing which can be criticized. As pointed out in several other posts, were these same character costumes being worn by Pioneer or Crossmen or Memphis Sound, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

3. Personally, however, I do take some issue with the blatant nature of the Red Queen's outfit and those used by several other corps. I think many of the costumes we've seen on the field as of late are indicative of the "sex sells" motto so well known in the world of advertising. Does the Red Queen really need to wear a tight fitting, low cut outfit that barely covers her important parts? Does PR's Faust really need to wander around the field shirtless? I'm certainly no prude, but does there really need to be so much gatuitous "skin"? I expect as much on American Idol or The OC but not on the drum corps field. Whatever happened to class, modesty and dignity?

Edited by ChicagoFan

Analogy: compare a vocal choir with a musical theater show. In a vocal choir, you have many musicians all performing the same piece, and while they take different parts, no one group steals the show. In a musical theater production, a few central characters are backed up by a larger chorus. While the chorus is essential, the lead roles clearly are the focus of the production.

A modern color guard is usually composed of your typical flag, rifle, and saber groups, but outside of big features and solos the ensemble doesn't put any one individual or section first. This year's Cadets show has several characters to move the story of the production along, but with the added vocals they are clearly meant to draw the attention of the audience.

I won't say if this is good or bad at all, but they clearly are the focus and they are also part of the guard.

I am not saying there are definitely portions of the show you watch the characters, but it must be stated that those characters are part of the guard. The queen does quite a bit of spinning and tumbling herself.

it seems people go after the most outrageous. remember the hub bub about Cavies 03?

I'm still having nightmares about Crown 02's early season male guard members. Three things that should never go together:

Men + Pink + Toga