Drum Corps in your genes?

My dad and Uncles marched for OLG Lancers in Hoboken. then I marched in a couple of prade corps and the Bridgemen. My 2 daughters marched in the Imperal Guardsmen when they attempted a comback in 99 I think I was a quatermaster, truck driver and taught drill for them.

Edited by lp1955

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flash- EXCELLENT!!! :worthy:

My dad was a national champion in the Skokie Indians. My mother was in the adminstration with the Cavaliers in their first few decades. My godparents are Don and Jan Warren. Drum corps kids are numero uno.

Oh yeah. Flash tell your son we'll always have a spot waiting for him (maybe 2 spots for a father and son team?).

My great grandfather was quite a bari player, according to family legend. It's a bit of a stretch, but he was in a marching unit of some kind in the late 1880s-1900. Can't say for sure he was in a drum corps, trying to verify that. I wish I could have met him, my grandpa always said I reminded him of his dad.

My unborn child (and his/her mother) is marching this season in GCS. Hopefully we are starting a new legacy. (Will keep DCP notified of our progress).

:laugh:

My dad marched in St. Kevin's from 1950-60. My mom was in St. Patrick's (Stoneham, MA.) colorguard in the 50's. M and my brother Kenny started in 27th in 1978. Kenny took a year off in 1982 (the year I aged out), but came back in 1983 and part of 1984 (long, long story). My sister Krisanne marched with the junior guard in 80-82 (not sure the exact time period), she came up to the Lancers in 1983. My brother Keith marched with the junior corps form 82-85. He came up to the Lancers for part of 84 and most of 85 as a horn plug. Then played bass in 86. Both me and my borther Kenny did the 94 performance.

I continued on with the corps as a marching instructor until the bitter end in 86. Also taught a few high school bands. My brother's and sister worked with various hihg school bands. I have one sister (the middle child no less) that had no interest in drum corps.

My dad was active with drum corps from the time he started in St. Kevin's till the early 70's. He was an instructor, manager, equipment manager, etc. You name it, he probably did it. He got away from active participation until me and my brother joined 27th in 78. But from the early 70's to that time we went to most of the local shows of the time. So we were very attuned to drum corps before we decided to give it a shot. When we joined the Lancers, my dad offered his services as a bus driver. He also became a pretty good person to go to to get an idea how we peformed from night to night. He was usually right on the mark. My dad passed away in March of 94. If it wasn't for him and my mom, we never would have been involved in this great activity.

hey Ferb you forgot about uncle bobby who marched with st.kevin's in th 60's and steven nourse (our cousin and my godfather)who marched in 27th in the beginning.

I was recently on-line, researching some local newspaper archives relating to my family's history. I was absolutely 'floored' to see an article from 1896 that included my grandfather's grandfather. Mr. Luke Healy was the manager of the Ancient Order of Hibernians Drum Corps from Oswego, N.Y. The article talks about the new uniforms he obtained for the corps, dark

blue frock coats with gold trim, light blue trousers with gold over white stripes, black shoes, and a light blue 'kersey cap.'

(Does anyone know what a 'kersey cap' is?)

So anyway, back on topic... my great-great grandfather was involved with a drum corps. My grandfather was a "field music bugler" in the Marine Corps, circa 1917. My dad was a lifetime fan of the activity. And me... Well, I got hooked at the age of ten.

Who else has drum corps running through their family tree?

.....took a while for me to catch up to this thread, but my father started in the Hamilton Fish V.F.W. Post D&B in 1934 as a soprano, along with his brother & sister. After WWII he elected to not pursue drum corps until we both went to Archie in '62. My wife and two of my 3 daughters performed with the corps.........

Jim Cossetti

The Music Express

RB3

WDCHOF

My late father started his involvement with the Penn Treaty Cadets in the early 30's. My grandfather was actively involved in supporting them. Dad then went on to the A.K Street Post corps, where he stayed until he was drafted for WW II. After the war, he joined with several of his Street Post comrades to form the Reilly Raiders. He stayed with Reilly until a health problem forced him to miss the 1952 season.

I joined the Miami Vanguards in 1963 and my father became president of the corps' board of directors. I have a soon-to-be 10 year old who has a room full of flags, rifles, and drum sticks. We'll see.............. :laugh:

Whoaaaaaa.......hey, Wayne.....my Uncle Albert also played soprano with Penn Treaty Cadets back then, as well as Fish Post. What neighborhood was your family from?

Jim Cossetti

The Music Express

RB3

WDCHOF

My grandfather was involved with the boy scouts in the Hazleton/Mcadoo area of PA which had

a corps. One of my uncles was a DM (although I think he was of the mascot/child type, LOL)

sometime during the 30's ,40's?? I remember my mother telling me that he had won an award

for best dm doing a parade in NYC.

As a child I did have a horn in a case that my mother got from my grandmothers

attic. allthough I did not get involved until my teens in corps.

All I remember for a unis description was that they had a shoulder type cape

that was reversible from maroon to gold.

hey Ferb you forgot about uncle bobby who marched with st.kevin's in th 60's and steven nourse (our cousin and my godfather)who marched in 27th in the beginning.

oh and one more, aunt maryellen with pembroke imperials in the early 70's.

once the drum corps bug hits a family, it seems to spread.

My dad was a national champion in the Skokie Indians. My mother was in the adminstration with the Cavaliers in their first few decades.

Hey mine too!!! Oh yeah, that's right, we're siblings. :P

Maybe our nephew Tommy will continue his trumpet playing and become a drum corps superstar too. B)