Drum Corps in your genes?

I was recently on-line, researching some local newspaper archives relating to my family's history. I was absolutely 'floored' to see an article from 1896 that included my grandfather's grandfather. Mr. Luke Healy was the manager of the Ancient Order of Hibernians Drum Corps from Oswego, N.Y. The article talks about the new uniforms he obtained for the corps, dark

blue frock coats with gold trim, light blue trousers with gold over white stripes, black shoes, and a light blue 'kersey cap.'

(Does anyone know what a 'kersey cap' is?)

So anyway, back on topic... my great-great grandfather was involved with a drum corps. My grandfather was a "field music bugler" in the Marine Corps, circa 1917. My dad was a lifetime fan of the activity. And me... Well, I got hooked at the age of ten.

Who else has drum corps running through their family tree?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was recently on-line, researching some local newspaper archives relating to my family's history. I was absolutely 'floored' to see an article from 1896 that included my grandfather's grandfather. Mr. Luke Healy was the manager of the Ancient Order of Hibernians Drum Corps from Oswego, N.Y. The article talks about the new uniforms he obtained for the corps, dark

blue frock coats with gold trim, light blue trousers with gold over white stripes, black shoes, and a light blue 'kersey cap.'

(Does anyone know what a 'kersey cap' is?)

So anyway, back on topic... my great-great grandfather was involved with a drum corps. My grandfather was a "field music bugler" in the Marine Corps, circa 1917. My dad was a lifetime fan of the activity. And me... Well, I got hooked at the age of ten.

Who else has drum corps running through their family tree?

WOW!..... :rock:

Even though I grew up (and for those that know me, by "grow up" I mean get older) in Lynn, Mass, and across the street from Manning Bowl *RIP*. I'm the only one in my family that has ever marched in a Drum Corps.....

(I "only" go back to 1963....hey I was 9 yrs old... b**bs )

Tony B)

My late father started his involvement with the Penn Treaty Cadets in the early 30's. My grandfather was actively involved in supporting them. Dad then went on to the A.K Street Post corps, where he stayed until he was drafted for WW II. After the war, he joined with several of his Street Post comrades to form the Reilly Raiders. He stayed with Reilly until a health problem forced him to miss the 1952 season.

I joined the Miami Vanguards in 1963 and my father became president of the corps' board of directors. I have a soon-to-be 10 year old who has a room full of flags, rifles, and drum sticks. We'll see.............. :worthy:

There is a father/son duo marching in the 2006 Scouts Alumni Corps.

The father (now 80) marched in the original 1938 Madison Scouts (he would eventually become the drum major)

The son marched in the Scouts drum line from 1973 -1976.

There is a father/son duo marching in the 2006 Scouts Alumni Corps.

The father (now 80) marched in the original 1938 Madison Scouts (he would eventually become the drum major)

The son marched in the Scouts drum line from 1973 -1976.

Actually there are more than 1 pair of father/son marchers in the Scouts Alumni project...

There is Mike Stone in the snare line who marched in late '90's and his dad in the soprano line who was in in the early '70's,

and there is Tim Hummel who was a snare drummer in the 70's and early 80's and his son who is in the Baritone lineand marched

just a few years ago.

There are MANY "blood" brothers marching as well from many different years ...

My mom had a friend who marched in the Reading Buccaneers. He invited my parents to the Bucs home show. Mom and Dad were both hooked so much, that I was born in July and just 3 weeks later, was at my first drum corps show in Hershey when they still had a show for the VFW and a show for the American Legion. I followed the activity very close and marched in junior corps before I was even in high school. Mom did try out for a honor guard spot with Westshoremen, but I don't remember why she didn't march. I went on to march 5 years with the Westshoremen and now due to the body being to old to march anymore, I do the alumni gig with the Westshoremen. It's a blast!! I still go to as many shows as I can possibly get to and enjoy meeting everyone at the shows!

Edited by buzzgok

3rd generation Westshoremen here. conceived at DCA finals. at my first rehearsal at 5 days old.

yeah i'd say it's in my genes.

My dad played trumpet in the local fire co. band, but from the first parade I saw as a child I had drum corps blood running thru my veins.

My Dad "Harvey" joined his first corps in 1937 in Gloversville, NY. I didn't start until 1955 in Rochester, NY. David Martin

Both my little brother and myself started when we were just tall enough to carry a banner without dragging it on the ground in parades. Been hooked ever since. Mom & Pop have both been marching forever, and now I have my wife hooked and currently in her 5th year, while I'm in my 15th.