Drum Corps in your genes?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad dabbled a bit.

Is there a DCP award for understatement of the year? :P

Fran

I am the first one in my family to march in drum corps, then I married a drummer that marched in corps and now our daughter Katie marches.... ^0^ we are so proud of her.

Me - Raiders 82, SCV 83 and BD 84-85

Tom - Knight Raiders 75-77, Freelancers 78-79, SCV 81-82

Katie BDB 05-06 and winterguard BD open 06

Proud parents of a BDB B)

BTW - Tom and his girlfriend continue to support SCVC on tour by cooking and whatever else they may need help with. I will be on tour with BDB as support staff this season. It is going to be a family affair for her and we can't wait.

Keep the stories coming...

See you at DC

Edited by kimelabari

Hey Kimela! How great to hear about your "offspring" marching in BDB...for some reason , I didn't know! I hope to see you soon...perhaps at Mars? tell Tom that I said hello! Kelley

It's nice to see the replys so far, of multi-generational involvement. It's just as great to see married couples and siblings march together.

Makes me wonder about some of the legends in Drum Corps, and whether they had a parent or grandparent who marched.

People like 'Lefty' Meyer, Kenny Norman, Truman Crawford, Pepe Nataro, and the list goes on.

Does anyone know?

From the mid-50s Scouts snare line:

Alan Auby marched with the Madison Scouts (snare, 1956-59), and has two sons who were Scouts: Gregg (soprano, 1986) and Mike (snare, 1986-88)

Ray Houtler (tenor and snare, 1957-62) has a son Ken who was a Scout (snare, 1985-1988)

Jim Syverud (snare, 1956-59) has a son Jason who was a Scout (snare, years?)

Pretty amazing fecundity, I would say, especially the overlap of dads and sons.

Jon

My mother and uncle both marched in the Belleville Black Knights in the mid 1970's (mom on flag, uncle on cymbals/bass/tenors). I marched Madison Scouts in 2003 (rook-out, backfield/assistant conductor).

• 2 weeks later...

My dad marched in St. Kevin's from 1950-60. My mom was in St. Patrick's (Stoneham, MA.) colorguard in the 50's. M and my brother Kenny started in 27th in 1978. Kenny took a year off in 1982 (the year I aged out), but came back in 1983 and part of 1984 (long, long story). My sister Krisanne marched with the junior guard in 80-82 (not sure the exact time period), she came up to the Lancers in 1983. My brother Keith marched with the junior corps form 82-85. He came up to the Lancers for part of 84 and most of 85 as a horn plug. Then played bass in 86. Both me and my borther Kenny did the 94 performance.

I continued on with the corps as a marching instructor until the bitter end in 86. Also taught a few high school bands. My brother's and sister worked with various hihg school bands. I have one sister (the middle child no less) that had no interest in drum corps.

My dad was active with drum corps from the time he started in St. Kevin's till the early 70's. He was an instructor, manager, equipment manager, etc. You name it, he probably did it. He got away from active participation until me and my brother joined 27th in 78. But from the early 70's to that time we went to most of the local shows of the time. So we were very attuned to drum corps before we decided to give it a shot. When we joined the Lancers, my dad offered his services as a bus driver. He also became a pretty good person to go to to get an idea how we peformed from night to night. He was usually right on the mark. My dad passed away in March of 94. If it wasn't for him and my mom, we never would have been involved in this great activity.

Grampa marched 1928 Govenaires, dad marched 50's till early 60's. I joined MBI in 1978 but finally marched Govenaires in 2005 completing the 3rd generation. My son, although not a big drum corps fan, is interested in marching at least one year of corps with me, hopefully as a Govie to make it 4 generations.

Flash