Why is Drum Corps not as good

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't "real drum corps" the moment it was more than 13 year old Boy Scouts marching in a VFW parade. So what.

That is a completely whacky statement <**>

Drum corps is not as good as it could be because we don't have piston rotors or 6 to 5 military style or marching tympani or maybe it is because no one has big hair on the field. Come on folks get your weaves growing!!! :sshh: By the way I am being sarcastic. b**bs

I think every year someone says I am just not entertained enough or I just wanted harder this or that or whatever. The fact is the quality of product on the field has never been better. From 21-1 there are decent horn sounds and for the most part decent drill. I think because it has become so competitive and that corps are all exocuting so much better it can tend to be thought of as boring. I don't think it is boring at all as I am just amazed by the level of quality on the field. Even though a certain corps show may not be my bag, I respect and like the great talent of what is there.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Well, one thing is fudamentals. From corps 1 to 21, Al I have seen is really hard drill for that corps. Circles that look like ovals, lines that are not, formations that..... just are not forms. Horn tilts that tilt in different directions, things like....A single person dancing around making NO sense at all. You have seen them. They jump up and swing the arms and sling the legs for NO reason. But it is artistic? Drill that is so hard and fast, that it looks like MUSH. Sure, some of it looks really neat. But it looks like really NEAT CRAP. They need to look at little things. Placement, horn snaps, and maybe slow down to get it clean. I haven't seen ANYTHING clean in this Atlanta show. JMHO. Drum Corps needs to change again IMHO.

I am not sure what you are looking at. Most shows make sense to me and I think that alot or corps are very clean especially for this time of the year. I have watched many corps from 10 years ago that had drill that was not as clean on finals night as alot of corps are right now.

Cavies have alot of dirt in some areas but I know it will be cleaned up. BD is really clean right now and only going to get cleaner. Phantom learned a new ending so the last minute of their show was very dirty but they will be clean in 2 weeks. Crown is so clean that I think they may be in danger of peaking....to me these are not example of corps that have drill that looks like mush

Dont forget that there is still 2 weeks left

Drum corps is not as good as it could be because we don't have piston rotors or 6 to 5 military style or marching tympani or maybe it is because no one has big hair on the field. Come on folks get your weaves growing!!! :sshh: By the way I am being sarcastic. b**bs

I think every year someone says I am just not entertained enough or I just wanted harder this or that or whatever. The fact is the quality of product on the field has never been better. From 21-1 there are decent horn sounds and for the most part decent drill. I think because it has become so competitive and that corps are all exocuting so much better it can tend to be thought of as boring. I don't think it is boring at all as I am just amazed by the level of quality on the field. Even though a certain corps show may not be my bag, I respect and like the great talent of what is there.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

awesome, that's exactly how I feel too. Not every show is going to make me happy about DCI or corps in general but the kids work hard and deserve an audience and standing overation.

It'll always be "not real drum corps" to someone.

I dunno. I can think of one or two posters here for whom the words "drum corps" seem to translate as "anything on a football field that involves music in some capacity."

On the whole, though, yes. "becuase its not real drum corp anymore!!!!!" isn't much of an argument.

The original poster's point is well taken. I think that if corps would pull back the ambition of their visual programs just a tad (and I mean just a tad – I don't think it would have to be a drastic change) they might be able to address the kinds of details he was referring to. Just as a musical chord that is perfectly in tune sounds louder than one that is slightly out of tune, a visual program performed nearly perfectly at the individual marcher's level would have more of a visual effect impact than a more ambitious show with lots of slight individual inconsistencies. For my part, at least, this is not an "old corps" vs. "new corps" argument. I just believe that exchanging a little bit of velocity and complexity for a little bit more clarity might be a worthwhile trade. I love most of what corps are doing today (in fact, I think this may be the strongest year in DCI in a long time), but I also think design staffs might be overreaching a bit at the expense of performance excellence.

The original poster's point is well taken. I think that if corps would pull back the ambition of their visual programs just a tad (and I mean just a tad – I don't think it would have to be a drastic change) they might be able to address the kinds of details he was referring to. Just as a musical chord that is perfectly in tune sounds louder than one that is slightly out of tune, a visual program performed nearly perfectly at the individual marcher's level would have more of a visual effect impact than a more ambitious show with lots of slight individual inconsistencies. For my part, at least, this is not an "old corps" vs. "new corps" argument. I just believe that exchanging a little bit of velocity and complexity for a little bit more clarity might be a worthwhile trade. I love most of what corps are doing today (in fact, I think this may be the strongest year in DCI in a long time), but I also think design staffs might be overreaching a bit at the expense of performance excellence.

Ok good point but, what if the activity did not evolve? If the greats like Zingali had not come along with their "crazy" ideas that wowed us all then the activity would have never advanced forward. I think you can not stop an inventor from being creative. Just look at what happens when corps now a days march a clean program without much demand? They get slaughtered. I think the movement of higher, faster and bigger is great for our activity. If you limited the corps or if they pulled back you'd never get the moments of OH My Gosh like we have gotten. Point of fact we don't ask an artist to pant a beautiful painting while asking them to stick to only the colors in the 8 pack crayola box. Thats just my thought. Though you have some good points that i can see, I may not think that it is necessary to pull back the reigns. If anything, after a few years of the current track I think you will see the visual execution of harder drill go up just like the music side has done. :)

Wesley Perkins

BK '97 '98

Ok good point but, what if the activity did not evolve? If the greats like Zingali had not come along with their "crazy" ideas that wowed us all then the activity would have never advanced forward. I think you can not stop an inventor from being creative. Just look at what happens when corps now a days march a clean program without much demand? They get slaughtered. I think the movement of higher, faster and bigger is great for our activity. If you limited the corps or if they pulled back you'd never get the moments of OH My Gosh like we have gotten. Point of fact we don't ask an artist to pant a beautiful painting while asking them to stick to only the colors in the 8 pack crayola box. Thats just my thought. Though you have some good points that i can see, I may not think that it is necessary to pull back the reigns. If anything, after a few years of the current track I think you will see the visual execution of harder drill go up just like the music side has done. :)

Wesley Perkins

BK '97 '98

Well, I tried (and apparently failed) to be very clear that I was not against drum corps continuing to evolve. Oh, well. I should know better than to try to take a moderate, sensible position on this board. :beer: I am talking about very small sacrifices in design for the sake of clarity. In art and design the axiom "less is more" has become a cliche because it has proven to be true. Or perhaps no changes in design are neccesary, and corps just need to spend more time on individual marching fundamentals to clean up their programs. Whatever.

I am a graphic designer, and photographer professionally, and I know the importance of fundamentals. A great design (no matter how brilliant the concept) will not be as effective if the details are not executed cleanly and precisely. That's all. And we do ask designers to pull back all the time in drum corps. Its called "watering" the music or drill (or at least tweaking it), and every corps does it all season long.

This thread is called "Why drum corps is not as good as it could be," NOT "drum corps today sucks, and the old days were better!" so lets all try to be a little bit less defensive, okay? :)

BTW, LOVE Blue Knights this year! Congrats! ^OO^