Atlanta scores!

it was in... and I agree - the top 12 is really good this year - possibly headed toward "best ever" status

I've been saying it since day 1 this summer. This is one of the best top 12's since 1988, when the spread from 1-12 was 12 pts (a DCI record). What's the spread now? 12 pts!!!! Which IMHO should actually be about 9 or 10 pts. I predicted earlier today that 6 corps would break 90 and I was pretty darn close. PREDICTION: 10 corps break 90 this year (I think that's a new record). Btw ... I don't see Scouts being one of the 10.

Good luck to all the corps on the road to Madison!

Edited by supersop

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PREDICTION: 10 corps break 90 this year (I think that's a new record).

It would be, yes

I disagree, Evan though I found that the Cadets entertaining I found 2 issues. 1 - Out of the top 5 they are the only ones with a singer, Get rid of it. It does not enhance there show and it is also NOT Drum Corps. 2 - During there show it is tough to find where the focus is. I mean that they have so many things going on visually I found that I missed features that are vital to there show.

I was in the crowd tonight.

You're right, Cadets should not have been in fifth.

They should have been in 6th behind Crown. :P

More tomorrow...

I just got in from the show...

I actually wouldn't argue with any of the placements. I thought they were fair. I thought Boston would beat Madison and can't really argue with BK beating both of them. I don't agree with the point spread, because I see them much closer than that, but I buy the placements.

With The Cadets show, I tried to have an open mind and I don't 'hate' the show. I think the vocalist, since that is about all she ever does, is totally unimportant and the corps would do just as well by dropping her off at the airport tonight and moving on without her. None of the speaking parts were important to the show and distracted from the performance for me. All together, it was a strange show that was well performed and I feel it is accurately placed at 5th. I could not agree with them beating Bluecoats and don't think Crown or SCV should be beating Cadets. I had been dreading abuse of amplification and was relieved that the Cadets were the only corps at the night show to do it.

I thought Spirit was better tonight than in the afternoon, so the score drop must be because they were the first one on tonight and not a reflection on the quality of the performance.

After BD finished, I thought Cavies had a great chance to beat them. I didn't see the spread being just .025 though! I think Phantom could sneak in and figure it's between those three to decide the title.

Well it a shame. Those kids worked there butts off to put on that show. I have to admit that the Cadets horn line gets really into the show to a point that it is way over kill. After tonight I have a better understanding of how amps work within the pit and I found that I was partially wrong for my outlook of using amps. However the electronics has to be factored into the final score.

I also found that my feeling about using amplified singer has NOT changed. That is NOT part of Drum Corps. That reminds me of going to Disney, again NOT Drum Corps.

Yeah, that is true. It was way too 'busy' out there.

your 13 straight years of bias against the Cadets is getting tedious. :beer:

Your arrogant assumption that he Cadets be afforded special status regardless of the on field product, or reception by the fans, is getting a bit tedious and suspect!

your 13 straight years of bias against the Cadets is getting tedious. :beer:

13 straight years of bias? Heh heh...

I'll tell you what is getting tedious:

Your ridiculous assertions that this Cadets corps is a world championship-caliber corps. It makes you look either like someone with a humongous amount of Borgness about him, or like someone that doesn't know much about performing brass, percussion, and visual.

Sorry George, but...the Cadets are not the best corps in the land this year.

And as for my 13 years of bias...you're right...I've been biased against the Cadets for 13 years. Never mind that I enjoyed their 2000 production, because in essence, you are correct. I have not liked many shows of theirs in the last 13 years. To me, the best Cadets shows happened before and during the time I marched. Nothing the Cadets have done in the last 13 years has approximated their 1984, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1992, and 1993 shows. Those shows were no-gimmick, straight-ahead drum corps with amazing brass and percussion proficiency, amazing color guard, and incredible visual packages.

In the last 13 years, the Cadets have subjected me to a lot more of the gimmicks and props than I could have ever imagined the oldest corps around ever doing.

However, my 13 years of bias don't hold a candle to your absolutely ridiculous and somewhat pathetic fawning over a corps that is clearly being judged where they stand...you just can't handle the truth that the Cadets are NOT the best corps every year, and those same judges that rewarded them with a record high score last year are not seeing the same finesse this year.

When the judges score the Cadets highly, then the judges are right. But since the judges are not scoring them where YOU and the other Borg want, then they are wrong.

When did you become such a joke? Am I the only one who feels that you've slipped off the deep end into fantasy land? Every post of yours on the subject of the Cadets has been either a defensive missive, a snide accusation of bias, a condemnation of judging, or supreme adoration and smug "this is the best corps ever" type nonsense. Honestly...when did you become a caricature of yourself?

Do Cadets have a fine corps? Of course they do! There were moments of the show that I enjoyed. But there is no bias here in saying that they are not performing up to the level of the four corps ahead of them. It's people like YOU, George Dixon, that rile up even more anti-Cadets stuff because of your insufferable smugness regarding their position in the drum corps universe.

P.S. They are not the center of that universe every freaking year.

You need some serious perspective.

don't forget 98 - best Cadets EVER (IMO)

I think most people just don't seem to care for this years product.

If they would drop the vocals during the ballad, the show would immediately improve. If they cut the speaking parts today, the show would improve. If they cut the number of props used in half, the show would improve. Of course that's just my opinion, but I'd call those changes a great start to improving their chances of moving up. I expect Hopkins to stick by the show, though, and ride it right into fifth place in Madison (because I don't think Crown/SCV/etc can pass them quickly enough).