Phantom 1.025 from the lead.

There has been a lot of talk in this thread about difficulty / demand.

The thing is that does not factor in to the judges scoring anymore (or at least it is not supposed to). Unless DCI has changed the structure in the past year or so the focus is supposed to be on achievement and effect.... not demand

Personally I think this change tha DCI made a few years back is great. I could care less how hard a horn book is. I only care about how musical and effective it is....maybe that is just me

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough...and I've heard Cavaliers enough to think that they play it safe and play books that aren't as difficult as other corps, allowing them to sound better most of the time.

i guess you believe they write their music after the drill, right? seriously, you give off an impression that difficulty is how many notes are in a show. you also make it sound like the Cavalier's writers write "safe" music on purpose. maybe here's how a Cavalier writing session should go:

"man, this passage is coming out great!"

"yeah, but it's not difficult enough"

"what should we do?"

"throw a bunch of 64th notes in there. we can't go on tour without the hardest horn book in DCI"

"yeah, this may cause our intonation to suffer (because our brass staff cannot make us sound great with difficult music), but as long as we beat Regiment, it's all worth it"

However, whether they choose to do be safe or not, I still thank that many of their recent shows have been a tad safer than some other corps.

so if playing a safer horn book allows a corps to showcase their intonation and sound, what about the visual aspect? im sure 230+ sets in a show (most of it over 200 bpm) kicks up the musical demand a notch. if regiment's show is in fact harder, im sure they are compensated by standing still a lot, and not marching sets larger than 6-to-5.

btw, if you want to see what level of musicianship the cavaliers are playing at, go watch them in the lot. they dont waste time playing over-blown chorales over and over. in fact its the most boring warmup in the lot. but what those kids are doing is magnificant. take a look around and try to find a tuner...they dont have them. those kids dont see a tuner all summer (and winter) long. that alone is unreal.

i guess you believe they write their music after the drill, right? seriously, you give off an impression that difficulty is how many notes are in a show. you also make it sound like the Cavalier's writers write "safe" music on purpose. maybe here's how a Cavalier writing session should go:

"man, this passage is coming out great!"

"yeah, but it's not difficult enough"

"what should we do?"

"throw a bunch of 64th notes in there. we can't go on tour without the hardest horn book in DCI"

"yeah, this may cause our intonation to suffer (because our brass staff cannot make us sound great with difficult music), but as long as we beat Regiment, it's all worth it"

so if playing a safer horn book allows a corps to showcase their intonation and sound, what about the visual aspect? im sure 230+ sets in a show (most of it over 200 bpm) kicks up the musical demand a notch. if regiment's show is in fact harder, im sure they are compensated by standing still a lot, and not marching sets larger than 6-to-5.

btw, if you want to see what level of musicianship the cavaliers are playing at, go watch them in the lot. they dont waste time playing over-blown chorales over and over. in fact its the most boring warmup in the lot. but what those kids are doing is magnificant. take a look around and try to find a tuner...they dont have them. those kids dont see a tuner all summer (and winter) long. that alone is unreal.

Yes, their talent level has exploded as of late. Listen to Spin Cycle, again. All of that overlapping among the 4 voices is crazy.

Just thought I should point out that Phantom is a whole lot closer than 1.25 now ( .65 to be exact). They have pretty much cut the cavies lead pver them in half and they are so close behind BD that I am sure the devils are scared. Just a little over a week ago everyone was ready to crown them the 2006 champion and now they are real danger of being in 3rd on finals night. I am sure they are wondering what the heck happened.

There are 3 corps that have a legit chance at winning this thing!.......What an awesome year for Drum Corps!!!!!

Just thought I should point out that Phantom is a whole lot closer than 1.25 now ( .65 to be exact).

Really? When did this competition between them occur?

Spreads only matter when they're head to head. And I want Phantom to win as much as anybody.

Some people are throwing around the words "crass" in regards to brass sounds far more than is warranted.

With that being said, the most "crass" sounds coming from any of the top 3 corps in Atlanta was without a doubt issuing from the Cavaliers' trumpet section.

I have no idea if this was an exception or par for the course, but there seems to be an assumption that Regiment has inferior tone quality and the Cavaliers are beyond reproach. Over the past several years that may have been the case, but it definitely was not the case on one saturday in Atlanta.

i guess you believe they write their music after the drill, right? seriously, you give off an impression that difficulty is how many notes are in a show. you also make it sound like the Cavalier's writers write "safe" music on purpose. if regiment's show is in fact harder, im sure they are compensated by standing still a lot, and not marching sets larger than 6-to-5.

You sound waaaay too defensive here (like I said, you are a Cavaliers alum, despite your earlier claims not to be), and you're also putting words in my mouth, so that pretty much invalidates some of the things you are saying. But it's funny that you take issue with my comments about Cavaliers, then take a swipe at Regiment. It's a tad hypocritical if you ask me.

There are 3 corps that have a legit chance at winning this thing!.......What an awesome year for Drum Corps!!!!!

Maybe the scores reflect that now, but that will change in the coming days I hope. Cavies are in another league.