Phantom 1.025 from the lead.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, I knew Nikk couldn't stay out of the "phray". B)

Um...not to pick nits, but this was not really about Cavaliers vs Regiment, this was more about being misquoted. I stayed out of the fray, defending only my position after a couple of wrong assertions.

But nice try.

I, for one, am delighted that Regiment was able to put together phenominal shows in back-to-back years. That hasn't happened very often, has it Nikk?

I, for one, am delighted that Regiment was able to put together phenominal shows in back-to-back years. That hasn't happened very often, has it Nikk?

Not terribly often...

(these are all just in my opinion, of course)

1987-1988-1989

1993-1994

1996-1997

2005-2006

Some people will argue that the 1988 show doesn't belong in there, but I love it. I think it is severely underrated.

Anyone thought about the climb back Regiment's made?

8th

7th

6th

5th

4th

5th (grr)

3rd

TBA

No matter what you think of the show or Regiment, that's a pretty amazing track record. Nothing short of relentless! And all this from a corps that had some very tough times not more than 7 years ago. That whole Rockford crew is genius.

It's a great time to be a Phan!

this may be of little use, especially since i'm posting so late (sorry, i'm doing lawncare around the house).

tho it was not a head-to-head last nite

PR stands ahead +.1 in GE

+.3 in Music (with a 9.7 in drums)

and trails -1.05 in Visual (ack)

it could still happen ppl!

8th

7th

6th

5th

4th

5th (grr)

3rd

TBA

No matter what you think of the show or Regiment, that's a pretty amazing track record. Nothing short of relentless! And all this from a corps that had some very tough times not more than 7 years ago. That whole Rockford crew is genius.

It's a great time to be a Phan!

Yeah, I've thought about it. I'll never forget my emotions when I saw the show for the first time in 1998. I was not a happy camper. In fact, be right back....

....heh, I found it. I remember writing this post on RAMD:

Tues, Jul 14 1998 12:00 am

In the words of Dennis Miller: "I don't want to get off on a rant,

here, but...."

Let's face it, folks, the Regiment's show this year is bordering on messy at best, and very poor at worst. Who is to blame? Not the kids, who are talented and hard-working. And let us not forget, we have all seen less talented kids do much more with less material. So what is it? Is it the staff? Why was the drill package not finished early, as it should have been? ####, if I was handed the music and a tape to work with, I would have had that drill ready at least, at least two weeks before camp, and *then* I could make changes or modifications. And can anyone really expect any consistency when there are three different and distinct drill writers writing your design in the space of one summer?

So who is to blame, I ask again...I only ask because it hurts me to see the corps that I marched with suffering, not because of a lack of talent or drive, but because of a lack of preparation. I don't like it. Standing on the same field I marched on for four years when i was at the Rockford show 2 weeks ago, I felt powerful, young, and ready to take on all challenges. But the feeling left me as I saw the show, which admittedly was a standstill, but it should have blown my face off. That's what I would have done when I was in the corps, as would have my friends, but the feeling just wasn't there. It wasn't there in the faces of the kids, but most importantly, it wasn't there in the faces of the staff.

So who is to blame? The show designers? The tech staff? The members? I don't know. I am, and always will be, a member of the Phantom Regiment. And it hurts me to see this, because I know how it feels, having survived through the 1992 season. I don't want these guys to feel the same way I did. But there are serious questions to be answered here, about show design, about drill design, about staff motivation....

Who is to blame?

(This is a rhetorical question, BTW...)

That was 8 years ago. Wow, how time flies. I was not a happy camper. And then I flew out to Madison to see the corps at the 1999 Finals and staying with Aaron Ozminski and Kevin St. Angel...NONE of us were happy campers with the show. In 2000, a lot of us older vets felt a little "betrayed" by the switch to the khaki unis, and the retirement of Jim Wren. While the show had promise, the corps was still struggling with visual, using 2 different guys to write the drill that year. 2001 was a promising horn book, but lacked in visual appeal, and you can say the same thing about 2002.

I am sure that most corps would kill to be where Regiment was (they were still in Finals, and still in the Top 8), but once you are spoiled by relative success, you are spoiled, and those five years were rough for many of us alumns (and, of course, all phans and members).

8th

7th

6th

5th

4th

5th (grr)

3rd

X

X=1st

lol

Edited by Vanguard07