Phantom 1.025 from the lead.

Interesting that you say this.

The Cavaliers are very adamant that the approach to sound should not be changed, whether indoor or outdoor.

And who's to say what the activity is supposed to sound like?

I had a very good wind orchestra when I taught high school. They performed at the BOA National Concert Band Festival, were verbally invited to the Midwest Clinic...and were always praised for their balance and intonation.

One year we did an outdoor concert for a Memorial Day celebration. While the other conductor conducted his tune, I went to the back of the concert area to grab a drink. The sound difference was incredible...they sounded very thin, and out of balance. As I walked closer toward them, the muddyness and thinness decreased. Mind you, this was from about 40 yards away...the closer I got to them, the better they sounded...outdoors. Indoors, that wind orchestra was a fantasic sounding ensemble (I think one or two people on here have heard that group and can vouch for that). Outdoors...not the same.

Before the Florida Philharmonic went belly-up, they gave an outdoor concert once for a 4th of July thing. They didn't sound so good outdoors.

So, in summary, count me as among the people who say that while it is laudable to WANT to sound like an indoor ensemble...I don't believe that it can really be accomplished.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough...and I've heard Cavaliers enough to think that they play it safe and play books that aren't as difficult as other corps, allowing them to sound better most of the time.

Ahh Nikk,

I disagreed with your opinions for many years, but you have become less and less biased and I have started to see the same thing you have in many ways. However, I disagree with you on this. If the Cavaliers music seems "safe", it isn't because they program it to be "safe", they merely play what they want, without regard to difficulty. Trust me, talent wise from top to bottom, I doubt many corps in the top 4 or 5 can match them. In 01, The Cavaliers didn't have the talent the other corps did...that all changed in 02, and now they are equal to the other groups.

So, in summary, count me as among the people who say that while it is laudable to WANT to sound like an indoor ensemble...I don't believe that it can really be accomplished.

That's all good and well, but can you deny the quality of sound of the Cavaliers when they are at their best?

Obviously some concessions have to be made when outdoor. First and foremost is volume, obviously.

However, fundamentally, the same approaches are used both in and outdoors. Watch the University of Houston Wind Ensemble rehearse and then watch the Cavaliers in horn arc. I would guess that they are very much the same in their approach.

Ahh Nikk,

I disagreed with your opinions for many years, but you have become less and less biased and I have started to see the same thing you have in many ways. However, I disagree with you on this. If the Cavaliers music seems "safe", it isn't because they program it to be "safe", they merely play what they want, without regard to difficulty. Trust me, talent wise from top to bottom, I doubt many corps in the top 4 or 5 can match them. In 01, The Cavaliers didn't have the talent the other corps did...that all changed in 02, and now they are equal to the other groups.

I never said they don't have talent...I know they do.

However, whether they choose to do be safe or not, I still thank that many of their recent shows have been a tad safer than some other corps.

That is neither wrong nor right, it obviously works great for them.

As for the talent in 2001...I dunno...I think they were pretty talented back then.

One thing though...they play what they want without regard to difficulty...however, they have (mostly) crafted their own compositions, so in essence...this IS a choice of sorts.

That's all good and well, but can you deny the quality of sound of the Cavaliers when they are at their best?

Never have. When they are at their best, they sound great. However, I still am more excited by the Regiment's sound.

Obviously some concessions have to be made when outdoor. First and foremost is volume, obviously.

Clearly.

However, fundamentally, the same approaches are used both in and outdoors. Watch the University of Houston Wind Ensemble rehearse and then watch the Cavaliers in horn arc. I would guess that they are very much the same in their approach.

This may be true...but as I said, I don't really like the UH/Eddie Green style. Just a matter of taste.

NIKK!!

Are you causing trouble in here again? Shame shame...

we all know Phantom has it this year. :) No need fighting it out. tee hee.

heart!

Never have. When they are at their best, they sound great. However, I still am more excited by the Regiment's sound.

And I understand why people are. It's hard to not get excited by that raw power. I'm just of the opinion that it shouldn't necessarily be awarded in the way that it was in Atlanta.

I didn't say the ensemble. I said ensemble.

Matched sounds/energy side to side, from everyone. Etc.

I was referring to PR ROCKS's statement about "high brass." We usually don't get to hear what the brass judge hears.

I'm just curious, but how much easier is the Cavaliers hornbook?

Are we counting notes here?

I mean judging against the Cavaliers, I could give Star in the early 90s the difficulty award over the Cavaliers, and the Blue Devils of the same era.

Edited by siuehist