Phantom 1.025 from the lead.

Maybe the scores reflect that now, but that will change in the coming days I hope. Cavies are in another league.

I would not be so sure about cavies running away with it.

At the regional show in atlanta I thought they would win by a solid 1.5 and it just didn't happen.

I agree their visual design is a step beyond what anyone else is doing, but they won't win visual by enough to offset weaknesses in other areas.

As strong as they are in Vis. Design, they are losing GE Vis, and Regiment and BD are both beating them in Percussion.

I think this year the top 3 are going to be alot closer than most people think.

I would not feel comfortable picking a winner at this point, but I guess thats why there's a week and a half to go.

Should be a fun one this year.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be so sure about cavies running away with it.

At the regional show in atlanta I thought they would win by a solid 1.5 and it just didn't happen.

I agree their visual design is a step beyond what anyone else is doing, but they won't win visual by enough to offset weaknesses in other areas.

As strong as they are in Vis. Design, they are losing GE Vis, and Regiment and BD are both beating them in Percussion.

I think this year the top 3 are going to be alot closer than most people think.

I would not feel comfortable picking a winner at this point, but I guess thats why there's a week and a half to go.

Should be a fun one this year.

I only said "I hope".

As far as weaknesses, where are they?!

I know some judges have placed them lower, but that kind of shocked me.

Visual GE should be easily handed to Cavies.

The only edge Phantom has is in percussion. I enjoy Cavies music immensely this year. . .total package.

Phantom should be happy with taking Second, if they get that far, which I think they will be able to do. In the end though, Cavies will win...though I think Regiment has a great show...the innovation of the Machine kills Faust!

I enjoy Cavies music immensely this year

You are entitled to your opinion. I can't recall one memorable musical moment from their show. The music is a total secondary thought to the visual (which is brillant).

I think it is a shame that the Cavaliers may win without any musical recollections from this show. Their book is not that hard compared to Phantom's. Music as background effect is not the way I would like to see the activity heading.

As talented as this staff is, there should be a way to incorporate both -- music and visual.

Oh, by the way, the only chill bump effect I got in Atlanta was from Phantom hornline. Simply awesome.

Flame retardant suit ready!

Edited by tpt43

What weaknesses would these be? The visual, brass, ensemble, and GE captions that they've won consistently with for the last couple of weeks? B)

One third rank in GE visual at one show (with PR's win eliciting a general 'huh?' from the community) does not translate into sudden trouble in that category. They were back up on BD in that caption last night, as they probably will be the rest of the season. Would be great to see more Regiment fans appreciate their own corps success this year as being a compliment to the talent of their kids, being able to play with the leaders, rather than proof positive that they're doing it 'right' and everyone else is gonna see how it's supposed to be done come August 12. If Regiment ramps it up and takes the title this year, great, they'll have shown that they have what it takes. But in any case, it doesn't cost anything to be gracious and admit that other corps with different successful approaches are ALSO playing the game correctly. :ph34r:

As far as music quality show to show, how many people can hum the Mahler piece walking out of the stadium? Not many. And that's fine, since hummability isn't necessarily the mark of quality - only the mark of being able to generate infectious musical hooks. Important for pop music, but not for most other forms.

Edited by mobrien

It may not be a doctrine, but it is a philosophy that Cavaliers demonstrate through their productions year after year. Just as the Regiment demonstrates a philosophy that music has a postition of primacy above the visual. I think what grates on many Regiment supporters is that many others (often including the judging community) do not see these two philosophies and the weaknesses they create in both corps equally. The Cavaliers are often given a pass on having a less compelling musical program while the Regiment is rarely given a pass on having a less compelling visual program. If the situation were reversed the Cavaliers would have every right and plenty of reason to complain.

Not sure I understand this post.

Visual = 30.00 points

GE = 40.00 points

Music = 30.00 points

Seems like the Cavaliers know what their doing.

This year is starting to look like 1992. Competively speaking. All three of these '06 corps are better than 92 Cavies, Star, or Cadets, but this is definitely now a three horse race. We thought we would have one in '04, and SCV just hung in third and won drums. That could be what happens to Regiment this year, but not if they won horns AND drums AND GE Vis. There was a lot of strange movement in the standings in '92... especially during the last three weeks. Lots of place swapping. I think we'll see that this year. Bluecoats-Cadets, SCV-Crown-BK, Scouts-Boston. Gmen and Spirit are on their own little islands, while 13-18 are going to rock and roll quite a bit. Don't miss the quarter finals in theaters this year! It;s going to be more fun than usual.

Music as background effect is not the way I would like to see the activity heading.

I agree with this sentiment..

and when I see a corps on the field actually doing this (and winning with it), I'll be sure and decry it. So far, though.. it just hasn't happened..

One other side note.. I guess it makes me simpleminded that when I'm sitting on the stage of the gymatorium at Rosemont School each January, I get goosebumps and chills and my heart races just from hearing the show music.. especially considering there's no visual to go with it at that point. I'm certainly not sitting there saying, "wow.. that's really going to be a great visual moment".. I'm usually just sitting there saying.. "Oh my god.. what a hornline" ... and if it makes me less musically astute to appreciate something "not as difficult" as what someone else may do, then I guess I'm just not musically astute.

I like Cavaliers music this year. I find myself whistling parts of this show all the time.. and I haven't seen it since July 4th weekend. *shrugs*

You are entitled to your opinion. I can't recall one memorable musical moment from their show. The music is a total secondary thought to the visual (which is brillant).

I think it is a shame that the Cavaliers may win without any musical recollections from this show. Their book is not that hard compared to Phantom's. Music as background effect is not the way I would like to see the activity heading.

As talented as this staff is, there should be a way to incorporate both -- music and visual.

Oh, by the way, the only chill bump effect I got in Atlanta was from Phantom hornline. Simply awesome.

Flame retardant suit ready!

I have the APDs from San Antonio. That's right, just audio alone. Bluecoats and Cavaliers are at the top of my playlist, Blue Devils, SCV and BK aren't too far behind. Cadets get some added play for curiosity's sake, while Madison, Phantom, Capital Regiment, and Esperanza round out the next tier. So you see, to say that music is secondary to the Cavaliers, just because you don't enjoy it, is silly. I didn't enjoy Phantom at all last year, and can't get into them this year. Does that mean that Phantom's designers intentionally make boring music?

I only said "I hope".

As far as weaknesses, where are they?!

I know some judges have placed them lower, but that kind of shocked me.

Visual GE should be easily handed to Cavies.

The only edge Phantom has is in percussion. I enjoy Cavies music immensely this year. . .total package.

I know most people disagree with me, and I wouldn't necessarily call it a weakness, but I think Regiment has a stronger hornline. Percussion is also not a weakness for the Cavaliers, but Regiment does indeed have a stronger line, at least according to the judges and my percussive friends.

Obviously, I don't understand GE Visual judging, as I have said before...in 2000 I thought Cavaliers had GE Visual out the wazoo, but they did not win that caption. In fact, they placed 3rd that year.

In 2003, I thought the same thing about Cavies' visual program...and yet, they took 2nd place to a show I felt would be something like 5th in GE Visual.

I suppose that the GE Visual judge looks for something other than what we all seem to think he or she should look for.

Frankly, I would have given the nod to Cavaliers in Visual GE...however, I admit that I do not know what the heck they are looking for. Whatever it is that they are looking for, Regiment must have it, because they also beat the Devils in Visual GE at both Atlanta and San Antonio.

Again: I don't know what the judges look for in GE Visual.

Regiment obviously doesn't appeal to everyone. The Cavaliers obviously don't appeal to everyone.

I'm imploring my fellow Regiment brothers to stop arguing with Cavalier alumns, fans, and general anti-Regiment folks, and just enjoy the production. If it wins, it wins, if it comes out in 5th place, oh well.

Think of it this way: Those of you who are die-hard Regiment fans...could a Cavalier convince you to not like the show? Could they convince you of what they perceive of as its weaknesses? Could a Cavalier come on DCP and convince you that the way Regiment runs its programs, music-first, is the WRONG way?

No?

Then stop trying to argue the same with them. I'm guilty of it too, but it stops here. There is no convincing either side that the other is right, they are both fine drum corps, one is historically superior to the other, end of story. Maybe Regiment will catch up one day....after all, no one could have envisioned (after 1997) the Cavaliers dominating like they have the past 6 years...anything is possible.

Until that day, let's just enjoy the performances and stop the whole "our music is better than yours, our visual is better than yours" debate.