Phantom 1.025 from the lead.

This year, any one of 'em can win, and its fine with me. B)

edit: oh, and my bar has been at home tonight. I'm pretty incoherent too. :P

I agree completely....I am in love with the top 4 shows...and Cadets is still growing on me...I won't be disappointed....although, I do generally go for BD because they are my peeps, I am rooting for Cavies because my best friend is marching there this year for the first time, and he doesn't have any support at all from his family. I have actually taken the opportunity to send him a care package and whatnot, and will be sure to go say hello when I am in Madison in a couple of weeks.....wow, tangent...anyways yeah, BD, Cavies, PR, Bloo, and cadets all have fabulous shows, any of which I would be happy to see win....

BAwker, what is your drink of choice this evening?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started with Pinot Noir this evening, moved to some tawny port now...very strong...but oh, so good. b**bs

oh good stuff...I was doing Manhattans and "adult lemonade" :P :P

actually, guard goes towards Visual GE, so if the guard wasnt counted at all... then PR would have won outright.

that silly thing called logic, doesnt it suck sometimes?

I never said that the guard did not contribute to the overall score I said that they did not have their own caption. There is a big big difference. In the old judging system the guard was not a very big factor in the overall score becuase they only influenced captions (like GE visual for example) which they had to share with the other parts of the corps (like Horns & Drums) which had their own caption. If they did have their own caption (like they should have) the results would have likely been different.

that silly thing called logic?.......Didnt you write that thread entitled Recaps for Dummies? My question is: Why dont you understand them?

Edited by 90'sMelloguy

I never said that the guard did not contribute to the overall score I said that they did not have their own caption. There is a big big difference. In the old judging system the guard was not a very big factor in the overall score becuase they only influenced captions (like GE visual for example) which they had to share with the other parts of the corps (like Horns & Drums) which had their own caption. If they did have their own caption (like they should have) the results would have likely been different.

that silly thing called logic?.......Didnt you write that thread entitled Recaps for Dummies? My question is: Why dont you understand them?

Just to make sure I understand you, the visual judges (both GE and performance) took guard into consideration for the numbers they awarded. And they watched both corps, so it's safe to assume they watched both guards.

How, then, did Regiment get a gift? The judges weren't wearing special goggles to mask Regiment's guard members during their viewing, were they? They didn't just pull these numbers out of the sky?

My wife, who was at the show that night as a staffer with Cavaliers, and is an outstanding judge of guards, IMO, is of the opinion that Regiment had the superior guard that evening. Flawless execution, better showmanship.

I guess I'd have to take the word of a guard person over that of a mello player.

Garry

I guess I'd have to take the word of a guard person over that of a mello player.

Garry

OK. But you might want to take the word of the person who actually judged both the guards that night..... They felt differently than you and your wife. If PR was so clean that night in Guard than why did they finish 4th?

Edited by 90'sMelloguy

I never said that the color guard was not judged at all. I said that they did not have their own caption.

Of course the color guard counted back then but you have to admit that it was not a very big part of the equation until they added seperate caption for it. Brass counted for GE MUsic and GE Visual, Ensemble Visual, Visual performance and they had their own caption for brass that added to the overall score but guard only counted for GE visual, Ensemble GE, Visual Performance (barely) at the time without having their own caption. I like Phantom Regiment a whole lot. definately my favorite corps next to the cavaliers but I hate to think that 96 is the glory year for them. There are so many PR shows that are so much better and I would hate to think that the best year for them was the one that they tied a corps that IMO was much better than they were that year.

[

I think it's funny you think second place is better than first, Being a member I can only think of one show that was better (89) but that is debatable as well. I'm glad that you hate to think, it makes it easier for the sane to draw conclusions.

Just to make sure I understand you, the visual judges (both GE and performance) took guard into consideration for the numbers they awarded. And they watched both corps, so it's safe to assume they watched both guards.

How, then, did Regiment get a gift? The judges weren't wearing special goggles to mask Regiment's guard members during their viewing, were they? They didn't just pull these numbers out of the sky?

My wife, who was at the show that night as a staffer with Cavaliers, and is an outstanding judge of guards, IMO, is of the opinion that Regiment had the superior guard that evening. Flawless execution, better showmanship.

Garry

So your opinion (and you wife's) is that PR's guard was better that year. Mine is not (and neither was the guard judge that night), but that does not matter. What I am saying is that the lack of a guard caption back then did not allow for for the most fair representation of the ENTIRE corps score. The guard adds so much to the total package of a marching band / drum corps show that it deserved it's own caption. Every part of the corps worked hard all summer and every part of the corps had a performance caption that weighed in on the total score with the exception of guard. To me that is not a fair representation of the entire corps.