Phantom 1.025 from the lead.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantombari

I am not quite sure what you meant by your post.

Of course second place is not better than first but there have been many second place or even third place corps that have been better than champions from a different year. For PR I Think 89, 93, 2003, and 2005 were all better years than 96 even though none of those PR shows won a title.

Man I hope Phantom wins finals this year - it would be so nice to see someone else, besides Cavies, Cadets or BD win! They seem like the only possible option to make that happen.

Re: 1996 - I can agree with crazy melloguy to an extent. I thought they (Phantom) should have definitely placed 4th in the visual captions (excluded GE visual). Cavies, Cadets and BD all had more demanding drills and marched them better (cleaner) than Phantom, hence the feeling that they should have been 4th in the visual performance captions. But, IMO Phantom could have placed 4th in every caption and still taken a share of that title (or the title on their own) based on GE alone, because no one was close - at least in terms of what I think of GE. Plus, the visual design was completely appropriate for their show (i.e. it was well designed), so if they placed higher than 4th in GE Visual - no problem. It was a magical, one of a kind, passionate, very rare occassion performance. It was spectacular - at that hornline - WOW! So, I don't argue with the tie, just as I wouldn't argue if BD, Phantom or even the Cadets (under-rated in 1996) won the title solo. They were the three best performances of the year, and any one of them was deserving of the title. I wish it had been a 3-way tie.

It's not my favorie Phantom show ever - that would be '85, but I consider it to be the best Phantom show overall....better than '89. '89 was ok - they botched Dvorak's masterpiece, the drill was extremely easy, but the hornline was spectacular and it's the show from '89 I listen to most. It was a great show, but IMO 1996 was a much better product....as was 1984, 1985, 1987, 1993, 1995, and 1997. Sure '89 racked up the highest score - but the highest score (and even the best performance) doesn't make the best show ever for me. Still, that '89 brassline was really something - AMAZING! I do love that show, but I think Phantom has put out many products that were superior in design - for sure!

Edited by gellio

I can't believe we're still arguing about a tie from 10 years ago.

As for this year and years to come, I still think Phantom needs to rethink the way they approaches drill before they really have a solid chance. Phantom always has a great hornline, a great(and hot) guard, this year they actually have a great drumline, and they usually play great music too. But their drill is almost always the worst aspect of their show IMO. Once they can bring that up to the level of coherence and meaning the rest of their show has, they will have a real shot. Their drill is great for a mid-90s perspective. But other groups have started figuiring out how to take that next step in drill writing and marching. Cavies have taken that step and are already working on the next one. But Phantom is still stuck in mid-90s mode. At least that's how I see it.

Say what you want, Phantom is getting the Bronze in 06.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

Of course second place is not better than first but there have been many second place or even third place corps that have been better than champions from a different year. For PR I Think 89, 93, 2003, and 2005 were all better years than 96 even though none of those PR shows won a title.

Wait, are you saying you LIKED those shows better, or that they would beat 1996 PR?

2003 PR would definitely NOT defeat 1996 PR. The others I can't be that definitive with my opinon.

I was there last night in Atlanta. Phantom was very good. For the first time last night, I saw them as a corps that could actually win. I wish Phantom luck! Are the red drums with black trim new? They look great!

I would love it if I got to see Phantom take it home in Madison, Go Phanotm!!

I was there last night in Atlanta. Phantom was very good. For the first time last night, I saw them as a corps that could actually win. I wish Phantom luck! Are the red drums with black trim new? They look great!

From Josh's journal over at the Regiment website:

"At our clinic today, Pat says, "We have new drums coming in from Japan, you may like them now, but just wait until the maroon ones come in." And Dan (Farrell) says, "They're cranberry Pat." Pat: "What's the difference." Dan: "That's the other team Pat." Pat: "I guess I set myself up for that one.""

I think PR is on track to overtake BD for second. Beating Green will be a helluva lot tougher, since it's not like they don't have plenty of time to keep cleaning what they have and tweaking the overall effect. BD's show hasn't really grown in actual GE in the last few weeks (relative to everyone else at the top), imho, and I wonder if maybe it's because there's nowhere to go with it.

Cadets will be back on top of Canton by next weekend, though Blue won't quite know it since they're on separate bills at Allentown.

Edited by mobrien