Mini Corps is for the rich only

I've always thought that was the case....

Would King's Singers have ANY say in it, since it would be THEIR arrangement on the field, and not the Beatles' original? If you've ever heard the chart, the KS version is VERY different from the Beatles.

If you were actually going to use their version to create a new work, they prob ALSO have a copyright to THAT arrangement (and maybe a separate publisher that you would have to pay), in addition to getting the rights from the original composer (or whoever currently owns the publishing rights).

The composer of a (legal) derivitive work also has rights to that work under copyright law, just as YOU have when you create an arrangement for your drum corps. (assuming you secured the right to do so in the first place)

Edited by brassomaniac

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and BTW: are some saying here that they pay for an arranging license for EACH AND EVERY TUNE IN THEIR BOOK, PARADE, MINI-CORPS, BRASS ENSEMBLE, DUET, SOLOS - EVERYTHING?

yes,.................Thunderbirds have every tune licenced,..........even the patriotic parade stuff,.............a lot of stuff is in the public domain, but you still have to pursue the paperwork,........................

...........there are services out there that charge a fee to do this work,...........I have been doing it myself for 4-5 years now,.................I ought to give a seminar on the process,..........it is a hastle, but really not that tough,..............Thunderbirds entire book (parade, concerts/show and mini corps) and insurance this year is about $925.00

yes,.................Thunderbirds have every tune licenced,..........even the patriotic parade stuff,.............a lot of stuff is in the public domain, but you still have to pursue the paperwork,........................

...........there are services out there that charge a fee to do this work,...........I have been doing it myself for 4-5 years now,.................I ought to give a seminar on the process,..........it is a hastle, but really not that tough,..............Thunderbirds entire book (parade, concerts/show and mini corps) and insurance this year is about $925.00

So then................I take it your vacation went well.....?

Edited by melligene

Since Mini-Corps, in my mind MIGHT be a little closer related to the Winter Drumline activity (smaller group, shorter show, very few public performances, only recorded at major regional/Championships) -- here is how they handle arranging/use rights over at WGI:

http://wgi.org/percussion/copyright/perccopyright.php

(I really credit WGI with the depth of free information available on their site -- especially to help new groups.)

There might be a winter brass/mini-corps forming in Central Wisconsin from a defunct drum corps, and in these extremely early stages, arranging and performing rights (following the WGI info) are already assumed in the draft budget. Like-new horns and percussion are in storage. Have an indoor place to practice. Truck. Money in the bank for arranging/licensing/travel/equipment and a modest bingo to keep it going.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I look at how there were about 8 or so "Winter Drum Lines" in 1991 and that has exploded to, umm, I think I heard 160 this year?

What's the future for mini-corps? Winter drums has a concert and marching division. How about Mini-corps finally "happen" and the concert version being what we call mini-corps and a marching division headed into BLAST! territory

- Dan

A seminar would be great, especially for us mini corps newbies.