Mini Corps is for the rich only

How much, typically, does a million dollar liability policy cost for a mini corps-size group? I'm going check with my insurance guy this week about this. Also, if you pay somebody to arrange your music, is it customary, or typical, to have any of the above mentioned fees included in the price of the arrangement (the arranging and performance fees, not the insurance)?

While on the subject, what are some good, sure-fire fundraisers that could help with this :)?

Not sure about insurance.

Some arrangers will do the rights stuff for you, others no. Usually, they send you to Jenny at CopyCat Music Licensing and she finds out for you.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand paying to play someone elses music. As far as Insurance, are you guys talking about liablility insurance for your members while at the DCA venue?

I'll probably have to get the entire scoop from DCA for next year. :lol:

I thought going mini corps first would be easier than being a full corps. I guess it's the same thing, right?

I believe the intent of these forumns are for discussion, which is exactly what I am doing and trying to promote on this topic since I think it could be handled differently. So I will keep this topic going here. If directors of mini-corps and DCA corps would like to take this up with officials from DCA then so be it.

Are you looking for an actual answer or just for something to get outraged about?

Does anybody out there understand the reason for my original post? If you all would take 3 minutes and really read the article from the D&C, Democrat & Chronicle Article.

my point is, why DCA can't do what the article suggests and work out a reasonable settlement with ASCAP which will cover the entire season and not put the burden on the corps. Quoting Mr. Candilora again; " Performers do not pay ASCAP to perform copyrighted music, he said. But promoters and places where music is performed or played do pay".

I have yet to see any of you lawyers, or wanna bees, address the question I have possed. Instead you ask me to read the Copyright Act. Your the lawyer, you read it. Are you saying Mr. Candilora is misinformed? I am simply saying there is a possibility the corps are being asked to pay way more than they might, if the promoter/DCA did not have some hot shot lawyer write a contract that shifts the financial burden to the corps while DCA retains all the benefits. I would suggest that a corps contact Mr. Candilora and ask if there is a better way to approach this problem. I never suggested that ASCAP does not deserve their dues, I am simply asking, are the corps paying way more than they might, because DCA will not accept the responsibility of dealing with ASCAP as they probably should, seeing they are the promoter.

How does DCI handle it?

from what i understand and read in old threads, it seems this guy may be a tad mixed up.

Not sure about insurance.

Some arrangers will do the rights stuff for you, others no. Usually, they send you to Jenny at CopyCat Music Licensing and she finds out for you.

Chris....what about if you're playing someone else's version of ANOTHER party's work?

Example: The King's Singers version of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles...who do you secure rights from...The King's Singers or teh beatles (presuming the Beatles would actually give permisskion in the first palce)

How much, typically, does a million dollar liability policy cost for a mini corps-size group? I'm going check with my insurance guy this week about this. Also, if you pay somebody to arrange your music, is it customary, or typical, to have any of the above mentioned fees included in the price of the arrangement (the arranging and performance fees, not the insurance)?

While on the subject, what are some good, sure-fire fundraisers that could help with this :)?

Dream paid about $500 for the Insurance for a year

Go here for more info: http://fdean.com/

For Dream I do all the leg work for the Arrange to performance copyrights... and it's about $100-$150 per Song

Chris....what about if you're playing someone else's version of ANOTHER party's work?

Example: The King's Singers version of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles...who do you secure rights from...The King's Singers or teh beatles (presuming the Beatles would actually give permisskion in the first palce)

You would have to get permission for the orginal version by the Beatles...

I've always thought that was the case....

Would King's Singers have ANY say in it, since it would be THEIR arrangement on the field, and not the Beatles' original? If you've ever heard the chart, the KS version is VERY different from the Beatles.

Yes. And to add to it, if an organization is looking at this as paying for the rights to perform once ... maybe it needs to perform more than once. There are all kinds of performance opportunities in any given community throughout the year.

I play many "OTHER" opportunties every year, with several types of groups, and in most of these the VENUE is covered by blanket licensing fees, and the individual acts are NOT policed for arranging fees for each and every tune that's played. Maybe the whole problem could be solved by not recording the competition.

Further, if one was to play at a convention, or other event that might be recorded (hence bringing up the potential liabilities), I imagine that the group would likely be PAID for the event, which might help to offset insurance, arranging licences, signing away royalties, etc.

And no one's whining - nice way to treat potential performers.

and BTW: are some saying here that they pay for an arranging license for EACH AND EVERY TUNE IN THEIR BOOK, PARADE, MINI-CORPS, BRASS ENSEMBLE, DUET, SOLOS - EVERYTHING?

Or, just the field corps and mini-corps tunes that you're required to pay? If so, then don't talk down to me about the copyright law, if you're only following it where DCA requires you to do so.

The letter of the law requires you to have permission each time that you produce an arrangement. The imposition of that in practice would kill off a lot of live, local music. And would likely be un-affordable for most groups with more than a few new tunes each year.

Edited by brassomaniac

Actually who ever holds the rights to the original version.

And for a while that would have been Michael Jackson (not kidding).