Incredibly Long Atlanta Review...

Just a quick note (someone might have already said it)- Bob Smith is gone. How do you think Regiment doesn't suck at marching anymore??

What happened to Mr. Blonde?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe I am going to say this........but my Father and I just had a conversation about whether we should sell our tickets to DCI's or not. We left the Atlanta show like eh. I enjoyed the Cavaliers. And pretty much all the music was good, but nothing really stuck out to me musically. Nothing like 2003. The shows are so estoteric. I mean.....I really liked the Cavaliers show...........but that's what it was.......a show. Just like The Cadets. Not a Drum and Bugle Corps Performance. I mean........when people are commenting that Carolina Crown has an "old school" drum corps show things have gotten away from my interests. We are still going to go, but I am not very excited about it. Glad its in SoCal next year. Because that gives me two years to decide if I should bother going to another DCI show again. Too much non-musical stuff going on for my taste. That is not to say I don't appreciate the music that is being played and the level of execution on display. But at 125 a ticket for finals........not so much. I only paid 100 to see Phantom on Broadway for crying out loud :) I have the Fox Theater downtown to go see shows. I want to see Drum Corps. I couldn't tell you a thing the Cavaliers or Cadets played and I watched both shows intently.

Flame away.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

I can't believe I am going to say this........but my Father and I just had a conversation about whether we should sell our tickets to DCI's or not. We left the Atlanta show like eh. I enjoyed the Cavaliers. And pretty much all the music was good, but nothing really stuck out to me musically. Nothing like 2003. The shows are so estoteric. I mean.....I really liked the Cavaliers show...........but that's what it was.......a show. Just like The Cadets. Not a Drum and Bugle Corps Performance. I mean........when people are commenting that Carolina Crown has an "old school" drum corps show things have gotten away from my interests. We are still going to go, but I am not very excited about it. Glad its in SoCal next year. Because that gives me two years to decide if I should bother going to another DCI show again. Too much non-musical stuff going on for my taste. That is not to say I don't appreciate the music that is being played and the level of execution on display. But at 125 a ticket for finals........not so much. I only paid 100 to see Phantom on Broadway for crying out loud :) I have the Fox Theater downtown to go see shows. I want to see Drum Corps. I couldn't tell you a thing the Cavaliers or Cadets played and I watched both shows intently.

Flame away.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

My first reaction to your post was "WHAT! What an idiot". But after thinking about it, I tend to mildly agree with you.

I am from an old school of drum corps (70’s. Not REAL old school like, 50’s and 60’s) so I get what you are saying. I have had to reprogram myself in looking at the shows these days and think “Man! These kids are SO talented”. Then sit back and enjoy the visual excellence you are seeing that didn’t exist “back in the day”.

I also use the activity as a way of seeing old friends, talking about the great times we had together and helping out the corps of my choice. (It’s not hard to see who my corps of choice is)

Try looking at the activity for what it is today. An activity where some of the most talented musicians in high school and collage get together, enjoy their times together, bonding, traveling and performing at the highest possible level. Then one night in August they get to do this in front of 35,000 screaming fans, under the lights and in front of TV camera’s. Who wouldn’t want to be part of THAT!? I know I’ll be there in Madison next to my friends cheering for all the corps! Maybe just a little louder for one particular group :)

My first reaction to your post was "WHAT! What an idiot". But after thinking about it, I tend to mildly agree with you.

I am from an old school of drum corps (70’s. Not REAL old school like, 50’s and 60’s) so I get what you are saying. I have had to reprogram myself in looking at the shows these days and think “Man! These kids are SO talented”. Then sit back and enjoy the visual excellence you are seeing that didn’t exist “back in the day”.

I also use the activity as a way of seeing old friends, talking about the great times we had together and helping out the corps of my choice. (It’s not hard to see who my corps of choice is)

Try looking at the activity for what it is today. An activity where some of the most talented musicians in high school and collage get together, enjoy their times together, bonding, traveling and performing at the highest possible level. Then one night in August they get to do this in front of 35,000 screaming fans, under the lights and in front of TV camera’s. Who wouldn’t want to be part of THAT!? I know I’ll be there in Madison next to my friends cheering for all the corps! Maybe just a little louder for one particular group :)

Believe me Mitch.........I totally get what you are describing in your last paragraph. I am just not a big fan of a lot of the music that is being played. Its get monotonous. For me anyways. I go for the music and in the case of The Cavaliers.......certainly the drill. And I am getting less and less originality......especially this year. I suppose if I was a bigger fan of classical music than I am, I would enjoy most of these performances more than I did. I certainly am not saying that what is being produced on the field right now is anything less than amazing. I am just saying that for this drum corps fan......I need more goose bump moments and when all the shows tend to run together the viewing experience suffers. I am not saying........let's all have a color pre.......but for me personally, I want to feel the music......I don't want to sit there an analyze it. There is a big difference between feeling and thinking........I had an English Prof in College that would deduct from your grade if you said or wrote........I feel such and such vs. I think such and such......because he didn't care how I felt......he wanted to know what I thought. Thinking is a lot of work and I do enough of that during the day :) I hope that as was the case with Garfield's show last year, that I'll enjoy the shows in Madison more after having seen them a few more times. Because I have other things to do with 1000 bucks if I am not going to have a ball watching these drum corps.

Again......not a slam at all on the effort, intensity, dedication, and commitment being put forth and on display. I am the kind of guy that would rather hear something played poorly that really gets to me than something played expertly that evokes no visceral response.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

I need more goose bump moments and when all the shows tend to run together the viewing experience suffers. I am not saying........let's all have a color pre.......but for me personally, I want to feel the music......I don't want to sit there an analyze it.

Here's a plug from a proud supporter... make sure you don't miss the Blue Stars if you're in Madison on Thursday. As a newbie, I've been in awe of all the corps I've seen, but am of the opinion that the difficulty of the Blue Stars horn book has been overlooked due to the fact it's just plain musical.

Again......not a slam at all on the effort, intensity, dedication, and commitment being put forth and on display. I am the kind of guy that would rather hear something played poorly that really gets to me than something played expertly that evokes no visceral response.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

Eric,

Boy, I understand what you are saying here. There are MANY times when I hear a corps on the field playing something and I say "Man, I wish I can hear what The Muchacho's hornline would have done with THAT lick". Musically it would drive the music majors bonkers but I wouldn't care. I sometimes play some old drum corps on my iPod so I can get those "goose bump" moments but the activity has changed. For the better? Well, in many circles, it has but for the rest of us, we have to find other things that draws us to the shows. I have a group of friends who use DCI Finals week to get together once a year, party, shop, drink, golf, etc. In fact, we don't even go to quarters or all of semi's. Then MAYBE the top 5 for finals. We're too busy doing other things. In fact next year we are really looking forward to Pasadena, LaLa Land, etc.

Anyway, I get what you are saying. Maybe you can use the weekend as more of a vacation rather than a strictly drum corps weekend. Its helped me get through some VERY esoteric years.

Edited by dc oldtimer

Eric, where are you sitting? We're on the 50 in the "sweet spot".