Favorite Phantom Shows

Mine are (in order):

06(could move up for sure)

Would love to hear other Phantom fan's thoughts. 93 seems to be a highly under-rated show to me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone will have the usual ones, of course mine is 89. but another one i really do love is 1994 :)

Would love to hear more about 95 as I haven't seen that one at all

93 seems to be a highly under-rated show to me.

How do you figure? Seems to be top 3 on most people's lists I've seen, after 96 and 89.

Oh lord. I saw this topic and... b**bs :wall:

So, here we go. Top 5, in order, although 1 and 2 are prone to violent switching depending on my mood.

2006- Faust. I hate to sound like such a "new guy" but man, I was blown away by that hornline. I'm sure I've done my fair share of yapping about this so I'll move on.

2003- Harmonic Journey- this is where my name comes from of course. I love how powerful, and how clean, the hornline is. The first crescendo had my jaw on the floor the first time I heard it. Wild Nights, of course...what else can I say. When I hear it, I smile. It's so much fun to listen to. And plus, the whole of WN1 is played at fff. The trumpet trills are on fire!! Lord's Prayer is to date my favorite ballad. When the trumpets pick up the melody after the B section (6:57) is awesome. The big chords at the end leave me speechless. That triplet that the battery plays right before one of the chord changes (7:15) is a definite corpsgasm!! Oh, and can't forget the reprise of Canon at the end where you think they're playing fff, until the 2 rimshots, the cymbal roll, and BAM. Canon is brought back in glory, at twice the volume expected. The mello runs there are intense. Pretty much the whole last 1:20 of this show has me going crazy.

1996-Defiant Heart- I love shostakovich, and especially with the drama associated with this show, I cant help but be blown away by this show. When it finally pulls through into major at the end, I can see why folks would be in tears over this show.

1993-The Modern Imagination-While some of the faster parts of Estancia are harder to get into, the Wheat Dance is beautiful (barring the mello holdover :lol: ), and of course, this show includes the immortal Fire of Eternal Glory. For me, seeing this, it's like time stands still as they lay down their helmets, and the melody is first played by the euphs. With the rotation from backfield, and the ensuing crescendo, (7:41), this "tribute to the fallen" grips me every time! I think the tempo picks up a little around 7:45 too, which I think adds to it as much as the amazing battery parts. Who says playing drums during the ballad is bad? Humph!

Oh yeah, and I enjoy the Death Hunt too. It's just that most of the show pales in comparison to Fire, at least for me. IMO, Fire is the emotional high point of the show. Please, nobody try to argue that "the whole show is good, how can you say it's not as good as Fire you troll" or something. You won't change my mind, this is an opinion. And Modern Imagination is still #4 on my list, pretty dang good for 50 years to pick from! :)

2004-Apasionada 874 I know, I know, New World isn't on my top 5. I love that show, but Apasionada is so emotional, and the style so extravagant, that it just reaches out and grabs me for some reason. Take the first big hit at :45 for example. It's awesome, and I don't even know what those chords are! A lot of times I sit down at the piano and bang out the chords to a great ballad or something, but I cant even figure out most of the chords from Apasionada. It's real new and different. And it's driving and intense, which are prerequisites for a good opener. And the last big hit, with the heart and all the red flags...I still remember the first time I saw the video, we were in the band room a couple years ago. A bunch of us managed to yoink the 04 world DVD from our director, and we put on Phantom (mostly cause I was the guy who got the videos :P ). The whole show I had sat there with everyone else, entertained. When it hit 9:53 with the heart though, I jumped out of my chair and yelled "holy crap!" before I even realized it! It helped the effect, of course, that the volume had been inching up during the show. No idea why though. :wall: Now though, whenever I listen to it, I see the heart in my mind and love it! Plus they did the leg wedge at the end, which gives them brownie points in my book for being cool... b**bs

edit: wow, when I started typing, there were no replies to this topic...

Edited by Wild Nights

Seems like most people like 96 better than 93. Guess it makes a difference whether you saw it live or not...I did not :(

:wall::wall::lol:

Would love to hear more about 95 as I haven't seen that one at all

2006 is the best ever, without a doubt. It is truly commensurate with a 50th anniversary celebration.

Absolutely AMAZING!!!!

1981 Spartacus

1982 Spartacus (second time around)