Blue Devils 1991

I had the pleasure of standing in front of the '91 BD warmup arc at Allentown- one of my great Drum Corps memories!

Years later, I played that show for one of the band directors I write for, who is a total jazz snob (multiple Iowa state jazz band championships, and his son plays 2nd trumpet in the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra), and therefore would only play classical music in marching band because "jazz without an upright bass will never sound good".

His response? "Kenton always wished he had a drum corps for a band."

We played classical music the next year...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bird and Bela in Bflat...

those juicy trumpet and mello runs.... the contras plucking away like string basses.....

this is just pure style, skill, and BD bad ###ness. my favorite BD brass book.

back when they still played melodies and the shows made sense. I loved them all through the early to mid 90's. by 2000 I was lost somehow....

back when they still played melodies and the shows made sense. I loved them all through the early to mid 90's. by 2000 I was lost somehow....

I think a lot of well schooled people, are starting to realize just how much of a sham the activity has become. The 1991 Dev's show is a great example of sophistication in drum corps. The technical exercises I hear from the entire Top 12 currently is a travesty.

What happened to harmonic gems like Happy Days???? I hear no gems anymore. I miss it. -I miss being hit by thunder and being drivien to my feet by something truly exciting!!!!

By the way John, I loved 1992 Cavaliers!! It is my favorite Cavies show next to 1986. I remember the Sopranos being watered down on the double tounging in Gavorkna. Still a sweet show musically and well as visually. Another great example of sophistication in drum corps.

THe visual really was, uh, poor, but I have listened to that closer three hundred times. Those mid voices just WOULD NOT QUIT! I was in the Cotton Bowl on the 40 for Semis and Finals and let me tell you I was floored by that mellophone line, but then I heard Star's.... granted its two totally different styles, but.... It's a good thing they TIED for high brass.

As one of the four mello's that year,i gotta say my head is real big right now,it was great reading such great reviews from,MY GOD,15 years ago.

Big up to my other 3 homey's Danny Martinz,Eric Cymanski and Rusty(mello crinkle)

I think a lot of well schooled people, are starting to realize just how much of a sham the activity has become. The 1991 Dev's show is a great example of sophistication in drum corps. The technical exercises I hear from the entire Top 12 currently is a travesty.

What happened to harmonic gems like Happy Days???? I hear no gems anymore. I miss it. -I miss being hit by thunder and being drivien to my feet by something truly exciting!!!!

:blink::blink::worthy:

You realize "Happy Days" was '88, I'm sure, not '91, which was, as has been said, pretty out there and not even all that melodic. '88 makes '91 sound like '93 Star. I'm all for you complaining about what a travesty drum corps has become, even while the rest of the board is full of sincere threads about how 2006 is the best season since sliced bread, but let's be honest. '91 was great, but not because of "La Suerte" or something similar. It was a weird show for BD at the time. When I hum "Adventures In Time" it certainly sounds a lot less melodic than, say, "La Suerte" or "Channel One" or "The Godfather."