Spitvalves Gone Wild Is Just Beginning

The original poster has a good point. What will happen to drum corp touring season as the price of gas goes up and up over the next few decades? Fewer shows, shorter season, higher ticket prices with $ going to a "gas fund"?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alarmist poppycock IMHO. Drum corps will live on.

You have no idea how much I hope you are right. I have 3 more years to march, and I can barely begin to afford corps as it is now. :(

drum corps will live on, whether or not is the same as most of us enjoy now(some seem to be so worried about the amps that they don't seem to pay much attention to the shows), well that remains to be seen. however, alternative fuel sources are growing not only in popularity, but in demand as well. the big question is "is it too late?"

The ice makers would be the first to go. Then water for the showers would have to be hand pumped. Tymps would need armed guards to protect the theives from stealing the copper. Horns would have to handcuffed to wrist as well. Drum heads do I dare say might revert back to cow skin? Cow population in the US currently exceeds the human population. The water consumption by them has left the remaining fresh water at under 5%. Spitvalves will remain popular even though they will considered wasteful by a mindful few. Alternative fuels will create a mass asthma epedemic leaving only a small portion or the population with lungs still strong enough to march a show with any strength left. So called fast food that isn't really food will excellerate alergic reactions and constant fatigue during tour. Corps will have to share equipment at shows because of the lack of replacement parts. Whatever. I don't know. I have heard first hand about the success of Austrailian Hampster Ovary Eggs to artificially increase the strength for those who can afford the twice a month $1,000 injection.

Mom

:(

The ice makers would be the first to go. Then water for the showers would have to be hand pumped. Tymps would need armed guards to protect the theives from stealing the copper. Horns would have to handcuffed to wrist as well. Drum heads do I dare say might revert back to cow skin? Cow population in the US currently exceeds the human population. The water consumption by them has left the remaining fresh water at under 5%. Spitvalves will remain popular even though they will considered wasteful by a mindful few. Alternative fuels will create a mass asthma epedemic leaving only a small portion or the population with lungs still strong enough to march a show with any strength left. So called fast food that isn't really food will excellerate alergic reactions and constant fatigue during tour. Corps will have to share equipment at shows because of the lack of replacement parts. Whatever. I don't know. I have heard first hand about the success of Austrailian Hampster Ovary Eggs to artificially increase the strength for those who can afford the twice a month $1,000 injection.

Mom

:(

What if they found a way to combine used styrofoam plates and spit (from spit valves) into an alternative power source? Drum corps would be cheaper than ever! i.e.- $100 off dues for every gallon of spit you donate b**bs

OK, I'm gonna bite on this one, just because I have to:

Speaking as a farming family, this country has a renewable, unlimited resource right here that we could rely on for all our fuel needs, if we would just get off the fossil fuel ### and accept it. I'm talking CORN FUEL! E85...ever hear of it? 85% corn alcohol. IMHO and the opinion of most farmers, the only reason it isn't being developed any faster is because the oil companies have their hands too deeply in the pockets of politicians...and THAT is coming from a dedicated Republican.

Well, I speak/type with NO authority on this matter, but... I've been lead to understand that this particular alternative (like most that appear on the current horizon) requires as much oil to produce as we use now. Can we try harder? (not just drum corps fans... oil companies and investors, law-makers, lobbyists, etc, etc.)

Well, I speak/type with NO authority on this matter, but... I've been lead to understand that this particular alternative (like most that appear on the current horizon) requires as much oil to produce as we use now. Can we try harder? (not just drum corps fans... oil companies and investors, law-makers, lobbyists, etc, etc.)

Actually that is a common misconception. You might want to check out this website. It explains exactly how much energy it uses each day, what kind of energy it uses, how much product it produces, what the beneficial byproducts are, etc.

http://www.uticaenergy.com/htdocs/utica/Utica.html

Edited by bearz

You want oil companies to try harder? Harder for what? You think oil is actually worth what we pay for it? When Greenspan met with heads of the oil industry a few months ago, it became very obvious that the actual market value per barrel of oil was no at all what the oil companies were selling it for. The price of oil has no basis on supply. We haven't suddenly been losing large quantities of oil. It's simple, really. The day of competition for the consumer is over. Monopolies are not done by one company anymore. OPEC is the monopoly, one with many members. They raise prices on oil regardless of market value per barrel because WE STILL BUY IT. The solution is painfully simple... if we stopped buying gas, they would lower the price. They don't compete for our business anymore. They don't have to. They have a stranglehold on our business. We've shown that we are materialistic, self-indulgent, pompous jerks. We need the oil, and we need it now. Therefore, they raise the price incrimentally, you complain for a few days, then you fill up anyway. WE are the reason for high oil prices.

Do I think it will hit $7.00? No, I don't. During Greenspan's talk (as we know, before he stepped down) the statement made towards OPEC was quite alarming. Basically, it became very apparent that OPEC, who had originally made the bylaw that gas would never be priced per gallon at an amount so much over the value of the price of oil per barrel, was changing their minds. They are doing just that, charging us more than said value per barrel. Think about it this way... even with the dwindling amount of oil on the planet, we have not lost a substantial amount of petroleum income to the United States. Couple this with the fact that, as each year goes by, we get more hybrid cars, more electric cars, and a number of more fuel efficient cars in the market. Therefore, each year sees an actual drop in gas consumption by the consumer on average. Because more people are buying cars with better mileage to combat this dilemma we've put ourselves in. This is going to create a stalemate that, sadly, most Americans will see as fair. "Ok, seeing as I only fill up once every month anyway, you can charge $6.00 a gallon." And then from there, it begins again until we use up the oil. And from there, well, we'll just have to see.

It's the stockholders that determine whether the price goes up or down...

That being said, please move this to the "Current Events" forum, mods.

I don't come here to read about the depressing news. I come here to read about drumcorps. (I get my news by talk-radio and blogs).