Average Tour Fees

Guelph Optimist Knights - 1976 - Annual dues - $40 (Canadian!)

No wonder we folded......

When a friend marched Madison in 2002 the fee was $600. I know it was Scott Stewarts personal goal to get the Men of Madison to have no costs.

From what I understand, if it wasn't that he wanted to take the corps to Europe with no cost to the members. I also understand that he was very close, having more than 1 Million dollars saved in the bank, and that was not the money needed to run the corps from year to year. Then in 2003.....the corps went to nearly $500,000 in debt....just 1 year....yikes! That same year tour fees increased to $1250...and it may be up around $1700 or more currently.

Edited by mdsnsctfan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When a friend marched Madison in 2002 the fee was $600. I know it was Scott Stewarts personal goal to get the Men of Madison to have no costs.

From what I understand, if it wasn't that he wanted to take the corps to Europe with no cost to the members. I also understand that he was very close, having more than 1 Million dollars saved in the bank, and that was not the money needed to run the corps from year to year. Then in 2003.....the corps went to nearly $500,000 in debt....just 1 year....yikes! That same year tour fees increased to $1250...and it may be up around $1700 or more currently.

I heard that Scott Stewart worked really hard to keep the fees cheap.

He was really great at convincing great staff to work for next nothing to keep corps fees low.

There was a kid at my school who marched in 2002. He said that he wasnt sure if he would be able to march in 2003 becuase his corps fees more then doubled from the new staff, equipment, uniforms, etc.

Edited by shostahoosier

I heard the same about my boys at Madison. #### shame someone could spend upwards of approx. 1 million plus in one year.

Up until I aged out (99-3rd year member) the going rate was:

1st year: $500

2nd year: $300

3rd year: $250

4th year: $200

5th year: $150

6th year: $100

I guess if you had marched with Madison for 6 yrs tour fees would have been a grand total of $1500. (minus of course getting to and from camps, free day spending money, and I think, if I remember correctly there was a one time uniform fee of $250). Of course we didnt eat like kings, but we were fed well.

$1500 only gets you one season these days.

Which begs the question: What is the going rate for the experience of a lifetime?

Well, the experience of a lifetime is as priceless as it is important.

I loved what I got from drum corps...but for $1500 to $2000 (and tour fees are approaching that it would seem)...there are several other things that one could do besides drum corps and still have the experience of a lifetime..and I worry that kids in their late teens - early twenties might go that route.

I could NEVER afford to march today...and I aged out 5 years ago.

Edited by shostahoosier

Gmen were $1800 this year, but add in Eurpoe and you can understand why

Well, a loaf of bread was once...

I still see those corps full, with 135.

Besides, it's only about $20/day. That isn't really too bad.

However I still think that some corps could make inroads competitively by offering lower fees...

Really, you see the corps full? In all Divisions?

Unless you are a single mom/dad working for minimum wage and trying their best to make their kids dream come true, then I think that can be really bad for a family financially.

...and then what - destroy the Div II and III corps? Who by the way pay as much as the Div I corps....just to have the experience then we lose those Corps who give so much of themselves and also to the communities they may represent.

I'm having a tough time reading about all the hardships that some of these corps are having with housing, transportation, food and whatever else can possibly happen at a time that should be one of the best in their lives.

:music::lol::lol: ...and in spite of it all, these kids are incredible to deal with these happenings...Kudos to them Big time! :lol::lol::lol:

And yes, to the unanswered question....we give a lot to our corps outside of the fees to support them, so don't even go there.

Add up $2000 * 135 = $270,000. Most corps have operating budgets of three times that.

To clarify, I see the top 12 all full. I don't see the examples *that were noted* as "high" without a full complement of members.

I hate to be all Kenyesian, but if the student demand is as high as it is, they will supply their talent and money. If you think $2k is a lot, well, sure it is. That's not a problem until it prevents talent. I don't think that's happening in top flight corps, do you?