How many corps will break 90.0 in Div 1 this year?

90.0+  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How many Div 1 corps with break 90.0 in Madison?

This subject has been discussed briefly in other threads. I think it has some real merit. Assuming that there won't be slotting and the judges won't be afraid to hand out 9.0 or higher early in the even. I realize that 18's are required for each of the major captions in order to receive a 90 or better. Currently the 10th place corps is sitting 3.5 away from a 90 with 11 days to go.

I still predict 10 will surpass the barrier ....... a HUGE new record for DCI.

Edited by supersop

We already have five corps breaking 90.

SCV came close in their last show. I think SCV, Crown, and Blue Knights will for sure. If both Madison and Boston can, then will have a record 10 corps. I think it really could happen this year. :)

Edited by shawn craig

We already have five corps breaking 90.

SCV came close in their last show. I think SCV, Crown, and Blue Knights will for sure. If both Madison and Boston can, then will gave a record 10 corps. I think it really could happen this year. :)

Judging by the poll ... at least some folks agree with me :)

From a July 19th post of mine:

"2006 looks like it might be the year that the Top 12 of Quarterfinals or Semifinals are all above 90. However, I doubt that will happen in Finals, as the judges will have a smaller pool of corps to deal with and only need to rank them correctly. A 12th place corps that scores 90.00 in Semi's could end up scoring an 86-87 in Finals."

It's still possible, but I'm doubting that G-Men or Spirit hit the 90 mark now. To go from sub-85 to 90 in 9-11 days will be a tough task for either of them. I'd still love for the Top 12 to all be above 90 at a semi-finals some year.

From a July 19th post of mine:

"2006 looks like it might be the year that the Top 12 of Quarterfinals or Semifinals are all above 90. However, I doubt that will happen in Finals, as the judges will have a smaller pool of corps to deal with and only need to rank them correctly. A 12th place corps that scores 90.00 in Semi's could end up scoring an 86-87 in Finals."

It's still possible, but I'm doubting that G-Men or Spirit hit the 90 mark now. To go from sub-85 to 90 in 9-11 days will be a tough task for either of them. I'd still love for the Top 12 to all be above 90 at a semi-finals some year.

we were close in 1987.

In semi's we were in 11th with an 89.0 and we were only .4 out of 7th place.

7th 89.4

8th 89.2 tie

10th 89.1

11th 89.0

This subject has been discussed briefly in other threads. I think it has some real merit. Assuming that there won't be slotting and the judges won't be afraid to hand out 9.0 or higher early in the even. I realize that 18's are required for each of the major captions in order to receive a 90 or better. Currently the 10th place corps is sitting 3.5 away from a 90 with 11 days to go.

I still predict 10 will surpass the barrier ....... a HUGE new record for DCI.

We could see as many as 10 on Finals Night. But I really doubt it. That's because in my opinion, the judges on Finals Night will want to have distance between Corps in their individual captions. We might want to remember that the judging on a particular night is based on a comparison score between the 12 Corps on that given night. Typically, we will see on Finals Night the score for the 10th place Corps to be lower for THAT Corps than they got at Quarters ( in particular) and in the Semi's. That's because of a host of factors.... ie different judging panel, flat performance on Finals night compared to Quarters and Semi's, and more than 12 Corps in competition in Quarters,and so forth. My guess, we might have more Corps scoring 90 or above at Finals than in the most recent past, but I'd be really surprised if the 10th place Corps on Finals Night this year broke 90. But it'll be interesting to see.

Edited by X DM

I agree. Maybe during semifinals - maybe - but no chance at finals.

Here's what I wrote in that other thread...

I just don't see that ever happening. To score a 90, a corps has to pull an 18 in each of the 8 major judging categories, which means they have to pull a 9.0 or better in each of the subsections. As you can see from the scores from Saturday afternoon to Saturday evening in Atlanta, the judges always start low in a top 12 show, leaving room to go higher for the better corps.

At finals, they will rarely, if ever, give the first few corps anything higher than a 17.5 in these categories. Their thinking, I'm assuming, is that if they are going to be giving out 9.9s or 10s for the top corps, they have to start in the 8.5 range. If they give the first two corps a 9.0 and 9.1, what will they do by the time they reach the 12th corps? The judges RARELY give the same score to two corps in the same category, so they give themselves room to breathe.

Look, I know - the judges judge on merit alone, and if Spirit pulls a 19.8 GE Visual off the line, they'll get it...blah blah blah.

My point is that you will never see ten 90's at finals, based on the way the current scoring system is set up. The first corps off the line at finals will score in the high 16s, low 17s in each category, and the rest will go up or down from there.

We could see as many as 10 on Finals Night. But I really doubt it. That's because in my opinion, the judges on Finals Night will want to have distance between Corps in their individual captions. We might want to remember that the judging on a particular night is based on a comparison score between the 12 Corps on that given night. Typically, we will see on Finals Night the score for the 10th place Corps to be lower for THAT Corps than they got at Quarters ( in particular) and in the Semi's. That's because of a host of factors.... ie different judging panel, flat performance on Finals night compared to Quarters and Semi's, and more than 12 Corps in competition in Quarters,and so forth. My guess, we might have more Corps scoring 90 or above at Finals than in the most recent past, but I'd be really surprised if the 10th place Corps on Finals Night this year broke 90. But it'll be interesting to see.

I understand how slotting works .... that's the whole point of the post. Last time I checked the sheets it didn't say ... how far ahead of the last corps is this corps supposed to be? ..... how far ahead is the next corps supposed to be ?................ ERROR .. not enough 10'ths left to compute!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sheets have very discriptive criteria that should be met .. and an accurate score accessed based on the performance of the corps. It doesn't say anything about (are they supposed to be 9th or 5th?).

I guess I'll make my official plea now ...........

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!! :worthy: Oh might DCI judgadness :huh: Please score the corps based on the sheets and not your crappy spread :huh: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

The END <**>