Is It Time To Retire J. Birney Crum and DCI East?

IF we left Allentown behind, is there anyone who complains about the stadium and other things associated with the show as it is presently who would state that DCI is killing drum corps by leaving the fans and Allentown in the dust?

If they leave Allentown, I wouldn't accuse DCI of killing drum corps or leaving the fans in the dust. If the present stadium is no longer suitable - and I can easily see how not selling a couple thousand super-premium seats in the upper deck would make it unsuitable - then it seems DCI must either pay to rennovate the upper deck or find a nearby venue that fans would go to.

The unique Allentown/East vibe is great. I love coming to it each year. But I'm not sure DCI can or should pay to improve that stadium, when there are other suitable venues nearby. I went to Franklin Field for East when JBC was under rennovation. I'd go to College Park, or Lincoln Financial Field, or Rutgers or Scranton just as readily.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I completely agree that Allentown has a drum corps atmosphere that is unmatched (well, except maybe in Madison) and I wouldn't favor a move. The stadium is not falling apart and the renovations have made is very nice... certainly not having the upper deck is a bummer, but it’s not a show stopper for me. If it had to move I'd vote for Lincoln financial (great stadium, but yes there would be a steep rental fee) or College Park. I’ve wondered why DCI hasn’t reconsidered College Park for Championships… I thought it was a great venue. Also, I am surprised at how many people love Giants field... it's old, outdated, and I find that the acoustics are horrible.

A couple more options that are still in the Allentown area:

bethlehem_basd.jpg

This is Bethlehem PA's district stadium. According to Worldstadiums.com, it seats 18000.

Another one is Lehigh College's Goodman Stadium:

bethlehem_goodman1.jpg

Good seating, but the bleachers do look pretty far away from the field (but then again, so are Allentown's)

Just a couple thoughts.

...They could go to Giants Stadiuim, but that would wipe out the YEA show. But the YEA show does not fill that stadium anyway, so maybe that is a good thing. Maybe YEA should move their show to Allentown and JBC. They can just switch. DCI can market DCI East much better for Giants stadium than YEA can for a smaller show.....

IMO a great idea. Freeing up JBC from a regional would allow YEA! To put on a big show on its home field.

What about Scranton?

NO! I don't think this field is drumcorps friendly. Parking is great, but corps on a baseball field never feels right.

I'll give a shout out to the University of Delaware. Stands hold 22,000 (not sure about home side). The stands are steep and close to the field. Real grass. Delaware added lights a few years ago. The stadium is about one mile from Interstate 95, and one hour from both Baltimore and Philly. There are plently of local hotels, tons of schools in the local districts, and parking is more than ample for warmups.

Giving up JBC would be a tough decision. As some have mentioned the history is immeasureable, the event staff is great and watching warm ups in the park is priceless. But if the stands can't hold the crowd you gotta do what you gotta do.

Also, both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have new NFL stadiums. Are Lincoln Financial Field and Heinz Field natural grass or artificial turf?

Heinz Field originallyhad a hybrid turf that was supposed to be the latest and the greatest but they've had major problems with it every year since the stadium opened, though it shouldn't be a problem in early August because the stadium is used for events maybe three times from Feb to the end of Aug for the Pitt season opener. Last year in a finals locale thread it was mentioned by someone that DCI had supposedly approached the city about having finals here but were told the turf wouldn't hold up or something in that vein. I think it's more about keeping a publicly-owned stadium off limits to all but the Steelers. Denver and Foxboro held up after three days so there is absolutely no reason why this field couldn't hold up for the classic or championship week.