Pardon my ignorance.....

pardon my ignorance, watched the show in Port Huron, Michigan, early season, all 4 corps (no Boston was not one of them) there played an encore, anyways I got to listening to drum corps radio last night, and heard one of boston's shows (1999 or 2000?) where they only played the 'shot notes' from conquest. I was just wondering, do they ever play Conquest anymore, as a encore, hype piece etc... I know alot of people were tired of it but I could listen to it all the time, there is something about that piece that just seems to be 'drum corps' for me.....anyways do they still use it at all? anyone with info would be appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Trick question - first, no one plays themselves off retreat anymore. Second, there really isn't anymore retreat.

They tend to put quotes from Conquest into their shows.

Trick question - first, no one plays themselves off retreat anymore. Second, there really isn't anymore retreat.

guess i really haven't been to a show in a while. or at least stayed and listened to the scores. heard the scores from finals last year in the parking lot.

Conquest is more or less the Crusaders "corps song". "Autumn Leaves" for Bloooo, "You'll never walk alone" for the Scouts, "Danny Boy" for 27.....the list is long. Sometime they're played and sometime they're sung, but they have a special meaning that strikes the heart of everyone who sings, plays or hears it. :)

Conquest is more or less the Crusaders "corps song". "Autumn Leaves" for Bloooo, "You'll never walk alone" for the Scouts, "Danny Boy" for 27.....the list is long. Sometime they're played and sometime they're sung, but they have a special meaning that strikes the heart of everyone who sings, plays or hears it. :)

I keep hoping, some season, somehow, these guys can actually work one of these tunes into their show design for real (SCV are you listening? Send in the Clowns is still a realy great piece of music for the field as well as for your alumni and encores.)

There were plenty of cheers from the stands in Battle Creek, when Boston played the Conquest hits this year. :)

pardon my ignorance, watched the show in Port Huron, Michigan, early season, all 4 corps (no Boston was not one of them) there played an encore, anyways I got to listening to drum corps radio last night, and heard one of boston's shows (1999 or 2000?) where they only played the 'shot notes' from conquest. I was just wondering, do they ever play Conquest anymore, as a encore, hype piece etc... I know alot of people were tired of it but I could listen to it all the time, there is something about that piece that just seems to be 'drum corps' for me.....anyways do they still use it at all? anyone with info would be appreciated.

I believe Boston played about 1 measure of Conquest in their show last year. I ran into their Corp Director in the Providence, RI airport afterwards and thought I would mention that isn't it funny how a corps can play a bazillion notes for 12 minutes and all they have to do is play 10 notes of Conquest and the crowd goes crazy (and they did last year in Boston). I don't think he thought that was as interesting as I did.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

I could swear that I heard Conquest in the show this year...a lone trumpet plays it at the end of one of the tunes, backfield...very quietly and serenely. Am I the only one that heard that, or am I hearing things?