Allentown - Saturday Scores

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, not buying it. You don't get .9 worse in this activity at this time of year in a week. Defend costanza if you want to bash blue, but this call was wrong.

Not entirely true. Case in point: (scores taken from corpsreps.com)

scores.jpg

We actually beat The Cadets the week before finals. It's just a fact of drum corps life-- scores fluctuate. At the time, I thought "the gods (judges) must be crazy." Now?-- I dunno. Time has tempered the memories and competative nature of my feelings about it. Nevertheless, I'm still too invested in it to say one way or the other, without bias. So I just take it with a grain of salt. Plenty of people loved the show and thought it was placed too low. Plenty others thought it was weak, and landed where it should have.

I just don't think it's reasonable to assume that a corps--any corps-- is going to have a static rate of improvement. If so, we could just plug the first week's scores into a spreadsheet, plot out a trend line and say, "this is what the scores should be in August." It just doesn't work that way. I think it's pretty difficult to prove this is simply a judge's grudge, though I can understand (and have experienced ) similar frustration.

Sheets have changed since then.......but i get your point. But i believe the quote you responded to was about caption score....not overall.

No, you're right-- it was just for a particular caption score (I didn't see the break-downs for these shows--probably long gone...). I'm not saying that it can't happen-- I'm sure it can. I just think it's hard to prove. Still, I really do get the frustration.

Not entirely true. Case in point: (scores taken from corpsreps.com)

scores.jpg

Cool graph. :)

Now refute this. BCCG is consistently rated this season throughout the summer as between let's say 4th and 5th in the activity. This one judge sees them, they drop to 8th both times. The first time they went right back to 4th and 5th. What will hapeen this time, a week out from finals? Especially when we know he will be on the panel at some point this week? That, I guess, is the crux of my issue.

Edited by 9092bluecoat

Cool graph. :)

Now refute this. BCCG is consistently rated this season throughout the summer as between let's say 4th and 5th in the activity. This one judge sees them, they drop to 8th both times. The first time they went right back to 4th and 5th. What will hapeen this time, a week out from finals? Especially when we know he will be on the panel at some point this week? That, I guess, is the crux of my issue.

Heh-- I know what ya mean (5-6, then 8th all of a sudden! :P ) No, I definitely see your point--- and remember situations we ran into that fell along those same lines... In 92, we'd do fine (score-wise) during the week, have what we thought was a kick-butt show on the weekend, and get hammered in the scores. Sometimes, in just a particular caption. The best we could do was try to keep our chins up, practice hard, and hope like **** it came out in the wash. Unfortunately, for us, it didn't. At the time, many of us thought we'd been screwed (there are pictures....) Now-- I dunno. It seems like most people seem to think the scores were about right. I'll never be objective, so it's hard for me to say. Nowadays, however, I seem less and less inclined to go along with the notion of slotting and judge biases, etc. Maybe if I were back in the thick of, it'd be different. I dunno.

after reviewing some recaps, i am not saying there is any slotting, i am just saying there is one judge who scores everyone lower than wht they are used to scoreing....... too bad because on Saturday it COULD cause 135 kids to miss the highest score in DCI history.

Heh-- I know what ya mean (5-6, then 8th all of a sudden! :P ) No, I definitely see your point--- and remember situations we ran into that fell along those same lines... In 92, we'd do fine (score-wise) during the week, have what we thought was a kick-butt show on the weekend, and get hammered in the scores. Sometimes, in just a particular caption. The best we could do was try to keep our chins up, practice hard, and hope like **** it came out in the wash. Unfortunately, for us, it didn't. At the time, many of us thought we'd been screwed (there are pictures....)

Dave St. Angel... no more need be said.

I'm with you on no more slotting, but bias is very much a human thing. Complete objectivity I think is not possible with any person.

This judge, in particular, is showing some erratic behavior over multiple seasons towards one corps. That's a problem.

BTW, loved your show in 92! Very cool. I loves me some Regiment playin' Tchaik.

<**>

Judging has seemed pretty awkward to me in the past couple of days. I think that the judging on Saturday was tougher than the judging on Friday, as every corps but BD took a good-sized fall. (The drops weren't as big yesterday).

That also doesn't cover the inconsistency in Div. II.

Updated standings in my signature.