Allentown - Saturday Scores

Most of the crowd, including myself and my wife, was shocked at how far ahead SCV was ahead of Crown. Some even thought Crown should have beaten SCV.

If one understands percussion, one can understand the point spread between SCV and Crown. Crown's achilles heel is their percussion line and battery. No matter who the percussion judge is, Crown is getting hammered in percussion. Also, SCV has a very fast moving, difficult drill that has taken time to clean. That cleaning is apparently happening now. Combine these 2 elements, and this might help you understand why SCV has pulled away from Crown and is now less than a point off Bluecoats. That said, I was not at the show. And you folks were.

Edited by X DM

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging has seemed pretty awkward to me in the past couple of days. I think that the judging on Saturday was tougher than the judging on Friday, as every corps but BD took a good-sized fall. (The drops weren't as big yesterday).

That also doesn't cover the inconsistency in Div. II.

Updated standings in my signature.

Hmm...SCV with a 91.475.

To the naysayers, that said SCV's score a couple nights ago was an "anomoly," an "aberration," .... a mere "fluke,"

take that! they clearly proved themselves tonight.

I am now officially a believer. I was blown away with SCV's show at Bensalem and, once again, tonight I was blown away. This is a great show... not as clean as I'd like to see it, but WOW SCV is back in a big way this year. I read others comment that many were surprised that SCV was so far ahead of Crown. The general reaction in my section tonight was that Crown and SCV were both scored too low. Also, from were I was sitting, SCV clearly received one of the best reactions from the crowd tonight. IMO, this is the 4th play show this year... move aside Bluecoats and Cadets.

I don't know what the judges are seeing...but the BD show is BORING AS ALL ####! I actually yawned during it! It's really sad to see them only .025 behind the Cavies who are definitely better. Another scoring mishap from tonight in allentown would be the Crossmen dropping their score...that's defintely not right either. I saw them at Bensalem, Giants Stadium, and tonight. Tonight was their best performance BY FAR!(besides the soprano player pulling an '89 BD).

The crowd responses definitely told a different story than what the scores do as well. The fans went Crazy for Vanguard, and they really liked the Bluecoats. The BD pretty much got your regular applause after a lackluster performance.

I agree with you, this was their best show, where the heck do they get these judges that are soooooooo different with their "judgements", do they actually follow these kids shows, or just show up and NOT pay attention????????? Disgusted with all the scores tonight!! Whats up with THAT~

How about the Evil Knights being solidly in 8th and only .2 away from 7th? This is a banner year for the Dark Knights as well. In fact there are so many story lines this year it is easy to overlook it, but the battle between BAC, Crown, and BK is going to be intense. If you all only knew the power of the DARK SIDE!!! Woo hoo ^0^ .

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

If you all only knew the power of the DARK SIDE!!! Woo hoo ^0^ .

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

"Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side" (dollar to the Emperor)

In what way should have Crown beaten SCV?

I can understand if you felt Crown had a better brass sound, this is reflected in the recap (Crown 18.2 to SCV 17.9). But a show is not only scored by the quality of brass...

- In percussion, SCV devoured Crown... beat them by nearly two points.

- SCVs visual program is more difficult, more effective, and better performed.

I find those two things undeniable and are the obvious reasons why SCV is pulling ahead of Crown.

I've never understood why Crown can have such a great sound and great visuals within the colorguard, but not compete at all in percussion. What does Crown's percussion lack that allows it to be scored so low? I am not a percussionist, but maybe a percussionist can answer that

ugh, you dont get it. they didnt get .9 worse in a week, just .4 worse then BD.

Is it really that hard for you to believe BDs guard went up .4 on BC in a week?

What is hard for me to understand is this.

Mr. Costanza scored them as follows. In San Antonio, Evening

DIVISION I

The Cavaliers 9.2 9 18.2

Blue Devils 9.3 9.1 18.4

Phantom Regiment 9 8.7 17.7

Bluecoats 8.6 8.3 16.9

The Cadets 8.9 9.1 18

Santa Clara Vanguard 8.7 8.8 17.5

One week later in Atlanta, scoring went like this.

DIVISION I

The Cavaliers 9.5 9.3 18.8

Blue Devils 9.6 9.5 19.1

Phantom Regiment 9.4 9.1 18.5

Bluecoats 9.2 9.2 18.4

The Cadets 9.3 9 18.3

Santa Clara Vanguard 8.8 8.7 17.5

Mike Stone was the judge.

We find ourselves in Allentown and Mr. Costanza scores the corps again.

DIVISION I

The Cavaliers 9.4 9.3 18.7

Blue Devils 9.4 9.4 18.8

Phantom Regiment 9.2 8.9 18.1

Bluecoats 8.8 8.7 17.5

The Cadets 9.1 9.5 18.6

Santa Clara Vanguard 8.9 9.1 18

(Sorry Excel doesn't paste in very well, or maybe I'm just a Rookie)

I realize that scoring is subjective but how is it that 4 out of the top 6 scoring colorguards, gave up either wholly or in part any scoring gains made between San Antonio and Atlanta, not to mention that 5 out of 6 couldn't hold on to scoring gains made between the regional in Atlanta, and this weekends contest in Allentown. The lone exception being the Cadets. Cavaliers had joined BD in excess of 19 points, and Phantom was knocking on the door at 18.8.

THIS IS NOT A BLUECOATS "ONLY" ISSUE!

This isn't a Bluecoats are upset because thier colorguard score is lower than (insert corps name here), it comes down to one judge's inability to manage numbers. I don't profess to be all knowing, in fact the opposite is more true. This makes it all that more important to me that scoring can be justified by sound reason, or follow routine progression. When it varies from a predictive path with no justifiable reason (not according to reviews, video, and personal experiences) I just need someone to help me to understand.

I would like to point out that given only Mr. Costanza's scoring, the gap between Bluecoats and BD of 1.3 points that Phantom&Phitch has alluded so eloquently to is actually a step in the right direction, since Mr. Costanza had BD besting the Bluecoats by 1.5 in San Antonio. So help me, is it really that hard to believe that Bluecoats colorguard got .2 better than BD in the last 2 weeks? I am still so confused............. :worthy:

Scott

This post might reflect some Bluecoat bias

Edited by mybugsyisblue