Cadets to use voice in 2007 production.

I think you've taken the blog post out of context and read far too much into it. Nowhere does Hop mention the 2007 production explicitly. It seems more as if he's thinking "aloud", rather than committing to next year's show. You're the one who's put the spin on it that the Cadets will be vocalizing again next year. Sorry, but your post - stated as fact - could just as easily be unsubstaniated rumor.

The best of Sousa ... nope.

The best of Lenny and Aaron ... nope.

Amps -- I would think so

Props -- if appropriate

Voice .... I think there is more to do.

Vocal integration --- we learned a great deal.

Here's my take:

So they're not going to do Sousa (no surprise there)...they're not going to re-hash Copland and Bernstein (been a while since they've played them for the whole show anyway). As for the "Voice" line - he could mean that it's something that they'll continue to pursue, or he could mean that there are more technical issues that need to be resolved before voice can be integrated into a show such that it can be successful competitively, and they may take a different approach next year. Just below the portion you quoted, he says, "2006 has been a learning experience." This could just be a vague way of admitting that the vocal components of this year's show were a mistake. He never says what he learned.

Bottom line - I don't think there's enough evidence in his post to decisively say whether the Cadets will use vocals next year.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not a Sousa show?

Seriously. Sousa wrote some pretty amazing stuff.

ug.

wahhfg2.png

just stop posting here, dude... better yet, for the sake of drum corps, just stop watching if you are going to be so close minded. It drives us all insane.

~>conner

Just because this guy doesn't like voice in drum corps, doesn't make him close minded, but I do agree he is way early to be passing judgement on a show that hasn't even been designed yet.

This guy needs to really chill out. He takes Hopkins way too seriously.

ug.

wahhfg2.png

just stop posting here, dude... better yet, for the sake of drum corps, just stop watching if you are going to be so close minded. It drives us all insane.

~>conner

Don't read my posts if you're so bothered by them, then. There is an "Ignore User" button after all.

I'll continue going to shows to see the 95% that I do enjoy.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Don't read my posts if you're so bothered by them, then. There is an "Ignore User" button after all.

I'll continue going to shows to see the 95% that I do enjoy.

But ... OMG! There might be *GASP* OTHER CORPS using amplified voice next year!

Unfortunately, for the second year in a row, I will not be able to enjoy the Cadets production next year. They will once again take what could be a classy, mature, purely musical program and turn it into a cheesy, corny, immature show incorporating elements found not in drum corps but in other activities.

Good luck Cadets in 2008. Maybe I will be rooting for you. Maybe.

Hop probably does it just to torture you Hrothgar. :worthy: :P :huh:

I personally was really hoping to see the Cadets change gears without a clutch and do a 100% audience-friendly, toe-tapping Americana program. Probably won't happen.

Ah, well. I'll cheer them on, even if I don't necessarily like the design.

You know, my mother used to tell me that I couldn't say I didn't like certain vegetables if I didn't try them. So I would, and guess what? I wouldn't like them. So then I saw a line in a magazine that said, "Sometimes, you really can know you'll dislike something without trying it."

I hate amplified voice. Narration being the main culprit. In every show that has used amplified voice, namely narration, I have disliked the show. Maybe not hated it, but it was never even close to being my top show of the year for that reason. Close minded? Heck no. Why would I pick a show that has 2 minutes of stuff I don't like over a show that has 11 minutes of what I do? So, I can say with 100% confidence, even without seeing the show, that the 2008 Cadets will not be my favorite show from 2008. See, that was easy.

I personally was really hoping to see the Cadets change gears without a clutch and do a 100% audience-friendly, toe-tapping Americana program. Probably won't happen.

No matter what you think of Hopkins, you've got to give him this much -- every time you think you know what the Cadets are going to do next, they have a way of surprising you.