Madison Scouts 2006

Looked like the Scouts were already loosing their identy and fan base those last few years as the corps was slipping into oblivion. At least some one picked up the ball and ran with it. So the corps is having an off year. Look at the last 3 before 2006, the corps had to get the talent to come back, fix their financial problems and right the ship. It takes time to get things steady again and I think the corps will be fine. EVERY corps has had their "what were we thinking when we designed that show" year. Give the members and the staff a break. Let them finish the summer and enjoy being a Madison Scout.

Loosing their identity the last few years they were slipping? Did you see or listen to anyone one of those shows? I'm assuming you are thinking 2000-2002. Those shows were as Madison as it gets. Was 2002 as clean as previous years...no, but it was pretty #### entertaining...and I guarentee that was the biggest crowd a semi-finals show has ever seen when the 13th place corps took the field...and not to mention the biggest and loudest standing ovation a "13th place" corps that was loosing it's identity and fan base got.

Plus, ask any member what they thought of the 2002 season. Was it sad they didn't make finals, yup, but only because they missed one more chance to perform their show for thousands of people. Most of those members, at least my friends, said it was one of the most fun years they ever marched!!!!

Their change in identity began when they changed the design of the FDL, the uniform change, the new marching style, the equipment they used, the vehicles they rode in, the approach to the music (especially the pit!), etc.

Their financial struggles only began when the new regime decided it was time to change their identity, because obviously anything Scott Stewart brought to the corps wasn't good anymore, and they must change it NOW. I've stated this before, the Madison Scouts were probably the most financially sound corps in DCI prior to 2003. They went from almost 1 million in the bank to oweing nearly $500,000 the very next year.

I seriously think your statement is absurd, but thats just me.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the last 3 before 2006, the corps had to get the talent to come back, fix their financial problems and right the ship.

:)

Edited by madalumni

Southwind was a part of the Madison family of corps, so to speak, but don't no any of the particulars.

asking a question to make sure.... Was another corps being funded in part by Madison and wasn't that draining funds off very fast?

Both Southwind and Capital Sound were being run by the MDBCA. Yes, they were not helping the cause, but they ran those corps for numerous years and Scott still managed to get all three traveling safely, and could still put money in the bank.

Looked like the Scouts were already loosing their identy and fan base those last few years as the corps was slipping into oblivion. At least some one picked up the ball and ran with it. So the corps is having an off year. Look at the last 3 before 2006, the corps had to get the talent to come back, fix their financial problems and right the ship. It takes time to get things steady again and I think the corps will be fine. EVERY corps has had their "what were we thinking when we designed that show" year. Give the members and the staff a break. Let them finish the summer and enjoy being a Madison Scout.

A statement you made needs to be corrected, or at least the implication of that statement.

Madison had no financial problems under Scott Stewart. The debt was created by one year Corps Director Bill? Wall.

A statement you made needs to be corrected, or at least the implication of that statement.

Madison had no financial problems under Scott Stewart. The debt was created by one year Corps Director Bill? Wall.

Bob Bleepin' Wall <**>

How long could the Corps survive being out of the top 12? I don't disagree with you, I don't like some of the changes that have taken place. But I do think that change was inevitable and there are two ways to react: throw up your hands and cry about it, or try to help it go the best way that it can. But in the end, it will change into something different than what we are used to or thought of as ideal. There seem to be good people running the corps, hopefully they will do a better job next year of putting together a better show. I have seen this years show and actually like the music a lot. There is nothing visually that works at all. Seems like Myron laid a big fat egg with the drill and staging. Who knew that he would choke like that?