Madison Scouts 2006

I think the days of Madison sounding like they did in the 80s and 90s are over. Let this crew find its own identity please. Why isnt anyone crying for Crown to sound like they did 10 years ago, or Phantom, or even Cavies? Madison got into its "bind" a few years back because they werent adapting quickly enough (some say not at all ) with what was going on in DCI.

If you want the big Madison sound of the prior decades then you have to slow it down and write easier visuals. Which of course means they will have trouble again with scoring. For good or ill, they are trying to make a statement. Last year with the Carmen show and this year with Primal Forces Madison is out to hang their name on velocity. And you cant play power chords when you are practically sprinting through 8 sets in 16 counts.

Every decade has brought a new performance character to the corps. The 00's simply have taken a more drastic approach to change. Most of the anti Madison crowd has been clamoring for change and now that its happened, they want old Madison back! Figures.

Did I ever think the Madison Scouts would be playing the type of music they are now? No. But Im sure glad were not on a Drum Corps Fans Dream, Part VII. The only corps that can pull off that kind of programming year after year are the Hawthorne Caballeros, and thats only because the DCA crowds wnat the evolution of the activity to come at a much slower pace.

As for uniforms, if anything, their current uni is more Scout like then the split tone Harlequin number they just changed from.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just realized what your avatar reminds me of Dan.

cwAladdin2.jpg

Wanna guess what and where? :P

Just realized what your avatar reminds me of Dan.

cwAladdin2.jpg

Wanna guess what and where? :P

Um Aladdin at the Riverview? (According to the IMG tag!)

Actually my son was noodling around with his stylus pad program and did it in about 10 minutes and I took it for my avatar because it had a very weird amateurish vibe to it.

i also noticed last year they had some pretty decent screamers, and this year theres none at all, there a part in end of there show where a trumpet tries to play a solo with a high note, and almost everytime iv heard from season pass and other videos, and doesnt even come close to hitting it,also in the opener iv rarely heard the high note hit. recenlty i think he takes the solo down at the end, and it sounds really weird. it needs to be taken out completly.

I lurk on a trumpet board and one of the guys on there was going to march upper lead with Madison this year, but he had health problems during all-days and I don't know if he ended up marching. From the sound clips he provided in his blog, range wasn't much of an issue for him.

Edited by KungFuCharlie

I think the days of Madison sounding like they did in the 80s and 90s are over. Let this crew find its own identity please. Why isnt anyone crying for Crown to sound like they did 10 years ago, or Phantom, or even Cavies? Madison got into its "bind" a few years back because they werent adapting quickly enough (some say not at all ) with what was going on in DCI.

Crown's style hadn't been established over many years like Madison's was. Carolina Crown was only born in like 1990!

Phantom and Cavies have not changed their identities or abandoned their styles.

Every decade has brought a new performance character to the corps. The 00's simply have taken a more drastic approach to change. Most of the anti Madison crowd has been clamoring for change and now that its happened, they want old Madison back! Figures.

You sure it's the same people complaining?

I chalk it up to several factors.

1. The guard is terrible. They are embarrasing. They are the same type of guard as 2002. Fire the guard staff, they're not working.

2. THey are marching Myron Rosander drill. Is that bad, NO. Problem is since they changed the marching style after 2002 it is very ##### for lack of a better word. The "old" style at least had a scrotum. Was our drill always clean, no, but we didn't have people teaching us to march like pansies. Sorry 2006 brothers, but your visual staff is teaching you to march like miss nancies, well...at least the guys who never marched the "old" style.

3. They fired...i'm sorry, forced Scott Stewart to resign because of his "direction" or what they considered to be a lack of. THey bring in Michael Cesario to "bring back" the "Madison Style".

Cesario is the furthest thing from knowing what it is or was, or ever will be to be a Madison Scout. His plan to bring a championship to Madison has done nothing more than cause this corps to lose its identity. If anyone needs to go, its him. Keep the staff, fire the program coordinator.

The problem is not the 2006 Madison Scouts, it's the influences that are being pushed on them and their "image."

It's high time this corps return to what it was and should be. Sal...your a beautiful person, you know what your doing, but I am sorry, Michael is NOT cutting it and his ideas are embarassing.

<POST EDITED FOR FILTER CIRCUMVENTION--PLEASE, DON'T DO THAT. LM>

Amen.......amen and amen. I'll wager he can't even sing Nevere Walk!!!

Edited by endy29

Looked like the Scouts were already loosing their identy and fan base those last few years as the corps was slipping into oblivion. At least some one picked up the ball and ran with it. So the corps is having an off year. Look at the last 3 before 2006, the corps had to get the talent to come back, fix their financial problems and right the ship. It takes time to get things steady again and I think the corps will be fine. EVERY corps has had their "what were we thinking when we designed that show" year. Give the members and the staff a break. Let them finish the summer and enjoy being a Madison Scout.

There were NO financial problems prior to Scott leaving. Whatever one may or may not think of Scott, he cared about the corps. There was money in the bank when he left and the dues were FAR lower than they are now.

Think of all the good staff that left the organization. *Yes some left before 2003, but all of these people marched during the 70's, 80's, 90's and first few years of the 00's.* Staff that cannot be replaced (Just ask the other corps that have them now!) Bill Zeier (Blue Devils), Van Matthews (Blue Devils), Scott Chandler (BD), Todd Ryan (BD), Chris Harmon, Dave Koelz, Jaime Alvarez-Calderon (Cavies), Nick Williams (SCV), Jon Shipper, Matt Gregg, Aaron Bryan, etc.

With all due apologies to butchering Mdscoutfan's post..just wanted to chime here on a few names...

BZ- how active is he on staff with BD?

Van- I understand he has backed off a bit as he has a wife and family now so I don't know how involved he is with BD. Man, oh man do we miss his teaching!!

Scott- I think that his partner may actually be on staff with us right now?? That being said hasn't Scott taken on more of a Program Coordinator role with BD and not working with the guard as much?

Todd- don't really know what he is doing with BD now..but he did write that great drill in 88. He did some work in 94 but that was all rewritten I was told.

Chris- right on there!! He was awesome!!! Except for the #### Lemon Squeeze tee shirt! B)

Dave- not a fan of his drill though I dont' know how he was as an instructor..

Shipper, Matt, Aaron....all great guys but not sure they are interested in coming back are they?

A couple other names of staff that made a huge impact on me are Ivan ( Mike Burke ) and Clay Wacholz--who works with Phantom -at least some- now.

CM

By the way...I still say this show is really amazing to watch..it's just a shame it's not living up to the potential. It will still be a personal fav though...

[it must hurt to be a Madison alumnus these days.

With all due respect....IT NEVER HURTS TO BE A MADISON ALUMNUS....EVER!!!!!!

I'm as proud now of the guys on the field as I was my 95 brothers. We all deal with the same crap every summer..what a Scout is beyond just what you see on the field still survives. I had a chance to see that first hand this summer in Michigan.

CM