DCI is moving to Indy

Would the movement of DCI headquarters from Chicago to Indy have anything to do with the 10 year commitment for Finals? More and more like a business. Less and less like a "youth organization".
If they didn't run it "like a business" they would go bankrupt. I'm glad that they are running it like a business.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in California for 9 years, was an hour from the beach and an hour from the mountains, and although it is nice, the Midwest has it's qualities too. The people are more real, there are season changes (70 in winter, 90 in summer doesn't count), and we don't pay half a million dollars for a 1800 square-foot house.

Just for the record, the seasons change here too. Lake Tahoe and Big Bear, two of my favorite Cali ski resorts, get down to at least 0 degrees!

And most people out here can afford the prices, otherwise they wouldn't be out here, right? I pay to play in L. A.! :)

"DCI in many ways is the NASCAR of music," he said. "The loyalty of its participants, their families and their friends is right at the very top level."

Did they just call us a bunch of rednecks?

Oh well, there goes my hopes for finals here in Atlanta. To those of you who pointed out the fact that finals held in the South have had poor turn outs remember there were almost 16,000 fans here for the Southwest Championships...the largest regional crowd ever. At least we'll have that show to look forward to every year now. Doesn't seem like finals wiil be as enticing a "vacation destination" for drum corps fans if it is in the same place for ten straight years. Personally I think Madison will be missed greatly.

And most people out here can afford the prices, otherwise they wouldn't be out here, right? I pay to play in L. A.!

That brings up a whole different economic issue.

A Californian wouldn't have to think twice about moving to, say, Texas...but a Texan would really have to crunch the numbers. Why? Because I can stretch a dollar down here about 5 times further than I can in California. The dollar is actually worth more in Texas than in California...but its the same dollar. Its like inflation...but its the same currency, which makes it very weird.

When you see the attendance drop significantly next year when the event is in-- of all places-- Pasadena <**> (the end of the US), you'll understand better too.

Are you willing to put money on that? :P I'm willing to bet that Pasadena draws more fans than Madison. Heck, I'd bet that Pasadena will be the best attended Finals in 20 years.

Just you wait. It's going to be HUGE.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is mentioned earlier in the thread, but a few months ago when this was being negotiated one of the deal points is that somewhere in the middle of the 10-year run there would be a one-year break from Indianapolis so that finals could be staged in another location. I'm not sure whether that got into the signed deal or not. I hope that it did.

If it were going to be in Florida for 10 years, I'd complain. Or three years. Or even one year. Basically, I just don't especially like Florida for Finals. Indy is much more centrally-located and has fewer hurricanes (look it up!).

The point for me is not whether its in florida or not. I dont like the fact that it will be in one place or ten years because that doesnt give all the folks down in florida and all the way on the west coast and anywhere else far from indianapolis and chance to go to finals without having to make long term plans and having to spend alot of money on air fare or gas. Atleast moving around from location to location gives everyone one a chance to experience Finals. Im sure many people would be willing to go through a little humidity and discomfort if it were easiar for them to get a chance to see finals.