Div 1, keep looking over your shoulder

finals are coming up. think they can 5-10 point the 2nd place corps?

This is impossible, really.... when the 2nd place corps is already scoring a 94.

The Academy is GREAT...and they will win. This is the best record in terms of time span in DCI history! ;)

YAY!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My post wasn't intended to give people the impression that they were Div 1 top 5 material yet. But if they did the full Div 1 gig .. they would be!

That is unrealistic. Groups like Glassmen, Boston, and SCV who have all finished top 5 more than once still have a hard time getting there and STAYING there. SCV is on the way back up, but now they have Bloo in their way, and they will be hard to tackle. It's gonna be at least 15-20 years before a group that isn't even Div I now has a real shot at the top.

That's totally what Pacific Crest did.

And I hate to say it , but look where PC is now. 20th. And the same thing would happen to Academy. I'm sure they are a great drum corps, but talking about possible success in Div I because of their Div II success is one thing, actually getting in Div I and going up against all those corps who have been doing this for years is totally different. Academy should stay Div II for more than a few years and enjoy that success.

I hate to sound like I'm ripping on Academy, but Div II has nothing to do with how well a corps would do in Div I. That's just they way things are. Different sheets, and more importantly, MUCH hard competition from corps that are already in a fierce battle of their own. If Academy does move to DIv I, they are going to have to deal with Pioneer, Magic, and Pacific Crest for many years before even thinking about Crossmen, Glassmen, Blue Knights, and Colts. And for all intents and purposes, groups like Cavies, BD, and Cadets will be out of their grasp for as long as they continue to exist.

Not being mean, just realistic.

*now waiting for the Star comparisons to start* B)

:beer: Pffffft! Not bloody likely! If The Academy had $$$ like Star of Indiana, do you think they'd be sponsoring their horns and asking for gas money at their souvie booth?

For those who may not know - The Academy gets people to pay for the cost of their horns. As a sponsor, your name gets engraved on the horn. Pretty cool idea, hunh? "Free" horns!

:beer: Pffffft! Not bloody likely! If The Academy had $$$ like Star of Indiana, do you think they'd be sponsoring their horns and asking for gas money at their souvie booth?

For those who may not know - The Academy gets people to pay for the cost of their horns. As a sponsor, your name gets engraved on the horn. Pretty cool idea, hunh? "Free" horns!

Hey! Whatever works, right?

I wasn't sure how big the hornline was this year for the Academy... and during the streaming video yesterday, I saw a line of contras moving....and moving and moving past the camera. I think they have 10. I was like "OMG!" haha.... There are at least 4 DCI Div I corps with less contas and a smaller hornline.

Remember the good ol' days when D2/3 corps actually were given the opportunity to compete on the D1 sheets once in a while, including at Quarterfinals? Too bad that doesn't happen anymore. It's at least interesting for the members to be able to learn where they stack up.

Hey! Whatever works, right?

I wasn't sure how big the hornline was this year for the Academy... and during the streaming video yesterday, I saw a line of contras moving....and moving and moving past the camera. I think they have 10.

I think they have a full hornline - i.e. 64+ members. So yeah, they're Div. I size in that regard. If the corps isn't fielding 135 members, they're pretty darn close to it.

Remember the good ol' days when D2/3 corps actually were given the opportunity to compete on the D1 sheets once in a while, including at Quarterfinals? Too bad that doesn't happen anymore. It's at least interesting for the members to be able to learn where they stack up.

Every time I speak with the members of The Academy to tell them how much I love their show, they're always very humble and grateful. Personally, I don't think they care where they stack-up in Div. I. I think they're just estatic to be at the World Championships!

And remember, Arizona isn't exactly flush with younger kids with drum corps experience. Sounds like this corps has their act together! Hopefully, remaining in division 2 for a while won't hurt them in terms of the members getting older and leaving to march div. 1 corps.

I think both Academy and Spartans would place just below the cut for semi-finals. A very strong year for Division 1.

I agree. This is a very strong year for Division I and I think the Mandarins would take the last semi spot over the top Division II corps. However, it would be close.

BackBeat

And remember, Arizona isn't exactly flush with younger kids with drum corps experience. Sounds like this corps has their act together! Hopefully, remaining in division 2 for a while won't hurt them in terms of the members getting older and leaving to march div. 1 corps.

If I had to guess I would say that it probably wouldn't. Judging by the overall size of their corps and the success they've been having, they seem to enjoy a pretty good recruitment/retention rate.

Right. When Magic was in Div II they scored a 99. something and they got 11th at Div I finals, AZA is scoring in the 95s this week. I don't think they would make finals in Div I. Of course, I have never seen their show, so I'm just talking out my rear.

Don't ask how I came up with this BUT, In 2002* when Magic made their comeback, their DII scores were 97.35, 98.00 and 99.00. Their DI score were 87.15, 87.10, and 84.85. Using these numbers in comparison to the The Cavaliers 2002 scores and comparing current scores from Cavies and The Academy, I would put Academy scoring about 84.00+ in DI which would not get them in finals this year. Just for shirts and girdles, when it's all over I will post my final guess where Academy would have ended up in DI.

*the last year the DCI elite allowed fair competition at finals.(rant over)