Quarterfinals Review!

I saw the cinecast, I wasn't there in person, but I had the totally opposite reaction. This is my favorite year in a long time. Only two corps -- BK and BAC -- failed to really excite me, and I thought even they had some great moments. The other fifteen corps I saw last night all gave me goosebumps. And there was a whole lot of spontaneous and enthusiastic cheering in the theater in Lexington, KY. IMO, it's been a long time since the overall entertainment value of D1 as a whole has been so high.

Hey Dan, my kid (Cymbal Steph) says you are wonderful and amazing. I have heard a lot of comments similar to yours from folks unfettered by cloudy alliances -- just that so many of the corps are delivering great, entertaining shows and at an overall higher level across the board. The way I put it: the 12 this year is very crowded. The goosebumps is what it's all about; and at least for a parent, that feeling that these are ALL our kids.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dan, my kid (Cymbal Steph) says you are wonderful and amazing.

I think you might be confusing me with a percussion instructor who has the same name as I do. For years on here and RAMD, I used to sign my posts, "Dan O'Neal, euphonium," to avoid confusion. Thanks anyway, tho. :beer:

Here's my take on Quarterfinals ...

Nice writeup. I particularly agree about Crown's performance - they were ON last night. Don't know that I'd have had them in 4th like you, but they're a pretty awesome corps this year. I'm hoping for a stronger SCV performance tonight. Crown-SCV-Bluecoats is a great spot in the lineup, almost as enjoyable as 3-2-1 IMO.

Nice writeup. I particularly agree about Crown's performance - they were ON last night. Don't know that I'd have had them in 4th like you, but they're a pretty awesome corps this year. I'm hoping for a stronger SCV performance tonight. Crown-SCV-Bluecoats is a great spot in the lineup, almost as enjoyable as 3-2-1 IMO.

I may have exaggerated a bit with Crown, but I would definitely put them on par with SCV, Bluecoats and Cadets. I should have called 4th - 7th a toss-up!

It will be interesting to see what the judges do, numbers wise. They say they lower the lower corps to leave room for the upper-tier corps. They scored the lower tier corps way high IMO.

I have always respected your reviews and you do not need to defend or apologize for anything. Fact is if we want to hear soloistic singing we can go to the theatre, broadway, church, street corners or even to the lounges!!! B) But I agree this does not belong in drum and bugle corps. Listen to the title, DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS!!! Since when did it become NARRATION ELECTRONICS Bb BAND CORPS. Sorry I do like the Bb instruments, but I've always been under the assumtion that f it aint broke then don't fix it. i know some of you will say well what if the activity didn't advance and I'm the first one to be thankful that it has, but when does it become too much? Imagine if the NBA suddenly started playing all their games half court and completely changed the game as we know it.? Well as ridiculous as it sounds, I think that is exactly what the CADETS (Hopkins) are doing this year. There is a difference in pushing the activty and the boundries of what can be achieved vs. pushing the limits to see what you can get away with!!! I just don't get it!! It disgusts me!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Actually, that's an opinion. Thanks for playing.

Well gee, thanks for contributing. So are you saying she isn't a good singer? I don't think that you can really argue that she isn't talented. But is that what you're trying to do? Do you even know?

And just for the record, I was going into the Cadets show expecting to hate it. I didn't think I'd like the vocals, and I didn't think I would like the show.

But boy...was I ever wrong. I absolutely loved the show. And the ballad, WITH the singing, was my favorite part of the show. Believe me, it was the last show I expected to like tonight, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

So for the record, it is possible for people who aren't too keen on vocals in drum corps (that would be me) to really like a vocal part in a show. Imagine that...

Well gee, thanks for contributing. So are you saying she isn't a good singer? I don't think that you can really argue that she isn't talented. But is that what you're trying to do? Do you even know?

Well, if you're looking for an opinion, I'd say she's an average singer. I'm not a vocalist myself, but I do work at a college music department and have heard really fabulous (and some not so fabulous) singers. I was at the theatre last night, so maybe that had something to do with it, or maybe it was the amplification, but it seemed her tone wasn't quite solid and intonation with the ensemble tended to waver.

To the starter of this thread - thanks for a great review! It doesn't matter if I agree with it all or not, it's always great to hear someone else's take on everything.

Well, if you're looking for an opinion, I'd say she's an average singer. I'm not a vocalist myself, but I do work at a college music department and have heard really fabulous (and some not so fabulous) singers. I was at the theatre last night, so maybe that had something to do with it, or maybe it was the amplification, but it seemed her tone wasn't quite solid and intonation with the ensemble tended to waver.

To the starter of this thread - thanks for a great review! It doesn't matter if I agree with it all or not, it's always great to hear someone else's take on everything.

To be fair to her, I don't feel she's been given an adequate vehicle to showcase her talent!

And just for the record, I was going into the Cadets show expecting to hate it. I didn't think I'd like the vocals, and I didn't think I would like the show.

But boy...was I ever wrong. I absolutely loved the show. And the ballad, WITH the singing, was my favorite part of the show. Believe me, it was the last show I expected to like tonight, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

So for the record, it is possible for people who aren't too keen on vocals in drum corps (that would be me) to really like a vocal part in a show. Imagine that...

You quoted my reply (all two sentences) and you were confused about what I meant? Could you show me where in my reply I mentioned the talent level of the singer? How about what corps we were talking about? Which show was it again - I'm not seeing it in my reply.

Get the point?

The reply had NOTHING to do with any singer of any corps - it was a reply to a direct attack from one person to another. I love how righteous someone is when making a false statement (i.e. what I quoted "that singer is wonderful (that is a FACT)." No, that's an opinion. I never stated if it was wrong or right (IMO), I just corrected someone trying to "correct" someone.

**EDIT: mis-spelled quote. whoops.

Edited by I Marched Before