DCI Commentators

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would have had to get there an hour early like I did to hear it but before the show they were playing clips from "Field Pass" and one interview they did was with Tom Blair. He explained that the Movie Theater show more than anything else that he produces is for Drum Corps fans. He went on to talk about how he uses a lot of wider angles and puts more focus on the audio for the Cinecast. So I'm thinking that everybody involved came into it from a drum corps prospective. DeLucia probably figured that most people in the audience already knew Carolina doesn't have a top tier drumline or that every saw all the drops in PR's show and knew that it would hurt them.

Of all the DCI products that have been made available to the general public I think this years Cinecast was the one that was most directed at people who already know Drum Corps.

Yeah, the product is definitely designed for people who know and understand drum corps vs. the public broadcasts which tends to explain things more fully for the broader audience.

I can live with the shorthand.

Frankly, I respect the fact that DeLucia and Rondo are providing balanced views ... DeLucia does a pretty good job as color commentator in presenting the ups and downs of each corps performance. Perhaps things you might not notice in the theatre, things that are seasonal trends as far as a corps strengths and weaknesses go, etc. I don't see a need to candy coat things in a purely positive light ... The whole purpose of the competition, as Rondo mentioned, is to Rank and Rate.

Rondo's lapses of "foot in mouth" disease aside, they do a pretty good job. DeLucia's come a long way for someone who isn't a professional broadcaster, and he gets better every year (now if he would just age like the rest of us ... talk about your basic Faustian pacts ... Sheesh!)

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Lame joke by DeLucia about Madison's silver buckle.

Yeah. I caught that one too. Made me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

At least he apologized. Speaking of that whole thing, why do they give interviews of the marchers after the show? The last I would have wanted to do after finishing an important show like that is give an interview to people across the country. I would, well, sound just like they all did; too tired to think.

Yeah, I agree. Give 'em a chance to catch their breath, meet with the rest of the corps and bring them back later if it's that important.

Is it polite to repeat in mixed company?

Is it polite to repeat in mixed company?

DeLucia: "Why are Madison's buckles silver this year?"

Rondo: "Why?"

DeLucia: "Because they can't be swashed."

Ouch. That hurt.