• Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Quarterfinals Video Quality

• Poor
    • Fair
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. The camera shots were...

• Too many closeups, shots from behind or in the endzone (and not enough high angle)
    • Too many High Angle
    • Just about the right balance of High Angle and closeups

Okey Dokey. This should be pretty easy to answer.

Bearing in mind that we are all drum corps fans who seem to love this activity and are willing to pay $18 for the chance to watch the Quarterfinals Theater Broadcast live...

now that the night is over and you've had time to reflect, what did you think of:

-the audio quality

-the video quality

-the camera shots that were called by the production director.

???????

Please only answer this poll if you attended Quarterfinals in a theater.

B)

Video in the theater was a little grainy, and the color was off (too dark, too much green). We missed most of regiments ballad and closer becuase there were too may close up shots (would have been nice to see the last couple of sets in the closer). I am usually not critical of Tom Blairs directing, but I have to say... more high camera Tom, please!!!!

Audio - My god man, someone needs to tell the corps not to park the speaker so close to the mics. Note to Santa Clara, it would have been nice to hear the horns and the battery.

Overall - 6 on a scale of 1 to 10

Edited by Newseditor44

I thought the sound quality was actually fairly good, except for the aforementioned SCV pit. The pit totally overpowered the rest of the ensemble. It was a little hard to hear a lot of the drum licks well, but this is due to the fact that the mics are on the sideline and the DL is very often backfield. It could have been louder, but it was loud enough to enjoy the impacts.

I thought the sound quality was actually fairly good, except for the aforementioned SCV pit. The pit totally overpowered the rest of the ensemble. It was a little hard to hear a lot of the drum licks well, but this is due to the fact that the mics are on the sideline and the DL is very often backfield. It could have been louder, but it was loud enough to enjoy the impacts.

I'm glad to see some sort of explanation. Where I was, it appeared that the center channel had cut out at the beginning of SCV's show and never really came back for the rest of the night. There was practically no hornline audible at all for SCV's entire performance. But when Rondinaro would talk after that or when they inteviewed "Mr. Moto", the voices would come from the center of the screen. So I figured it was something messed up with the center microphone. Very surprising considering how balanced all the other corps seemed prior to that. (I had this suspicion that somebody had accidentally run over the microphone cable with one of those 4-wheelers they use to haul the pit equipment around... or something. It seemed that obvious that something had gone wrong.) But none of the rest of the corps seemed right after that to me either, although it gradually got slightly better by the end.

At the begining of the broadcast I was totally hyped at how loud and balanced the sound was compared the recent Classic Countdown (which was really pitiful sound at the same theater). But after the hornline sound was diminished so drastically, the energy of the crowd in the theatre really died. Too bad for us, I guess. Right after that I got a text message from a friend that was in the stadium in Madison that said "Santa Clara Rox!" ... Guess I'll have to buy the DVDs if I wanna find out for myself.

:(

Sidenote: At the Tinseltown, Plano TX theater, the equipment locked up and had to be booted or something right towards the end of Carolina Crown's show. So we missed the last 3rd or so of them.

Edited by bradrick

I was a little wary going in, because the audio quality in the same theatre for the countdown earlier this year was simply horrendous. Last night, the audio was actually pretty good. And props to our theatre's staff for actually doing a volume check and asking those who were there early if it was good (I think many people wanted it louder, but it was fine for me). I agree wholheartedly that more high angles should be used. The people next to me were practically jumping out of their seat as if they could personally get the camera to switch to high view. Alot of the cool ensemble visual stuff was missed due to too many closeups.

Yes, I caught that.

Did anyone else catch the breathing through the horn sound during the Blue Coats show?

In Tulsa we didn't get to hear much of the Blue Coats. Strobe lights started going off and an announcement said to exit the theater because of an emergency situation. Only a few people actually evacuated but there was mass confusion so didn't get to enjoy Bluecoats.

The camera crew missed a few MAJOR shots (first cross in Part Blue, anyone?) but overall, the broadcast was EXCELLENT. Enjoyed Steve Rondinaro's chatter, and the volume in our theater was up there! A really, really fun night. I would pay $18 again tonight for semis and another $18 for finals if I had to.... :) and I'm not that rich