Semifinals Review!

Just got back from Semifinals. It was a great night - much better than last night IMO. I won't say much about the judging because I thought it was pretty much right on. We were running late and made it just in time for the Colts.

COLTS:

Again, I really liked this show. I was sitting next to a Spirit mom who was talking garbage to her son. She said, "The Colts are mad at us because they can't beat us!" That is crazy - I'm sure the Colts don't give anybody but their own performance much thought. Anyway, I really liked their show again. They had some nice guard moments and that brassline was sweet. My favorite part of the show was "As Time Goes By" - what a cool ballad. The flagwork and drill were very effective. The crowd ate it up. I thought they should have been closer to Spirit.

SPIRIT from JSU:

There's no doubt they should be in finals, it was a well deserved 12th place finish tonight, but I thought they were scored too much above the Colts. Their hornline was nice and loud, and I really enjoyed their guard as well. Didn't care for the guard uniform color, but the flag and weapons work was nice. Not on the scale of the upper corps, but pretty good. They sure were loud and the crowd loved it. I am looking forward to seeing them again tomorrow.

GLASSMEN:

Ok - that ding-dang-dong guard guy with the white teeth drew my attention again. I could pick him out just by looking at the guard's faces because his teeth are so white and he's so tan. Strange the things we notice sometimes. I like this show a lot, but being that Beethoven is my 2nd favorite composer, I wish they would have just done the arrangements straight-forward. Still, this show has a lot of great brass impact points that drew the crowd in. Good job! I did hear some big intonation problems during the 9th Symphony, that made me think "ouch"! Overall, it was a good show and definitely entertaining. I do miss the Glassmen of '98-'01 though. Those were some of my favorite shows. But, they are good and their guard was great. Effective and entertaining...what more could you want?

MADISON SCOUTS:

I liked them a lot more tonight than I did last night. Their crazy drill is just so fun to watch, because it is so crazy-hard. Part of the problem with it being so dirty is there is no time to react. When you're in a form for only a few seconds, there's just no time to dress and fix a crooked line. Brass was on fire tonight. I really did like the music much more tonight as well. And, believe it or not, I liked the guard more. Not much mind you, but more than last night. Still, of all the corps I saw tonight, I would have placed their guard dead last. I'm not sure if this is more of a design problem than an execution problem. Obviously, the execution isn't there by any means, but the design of the work is so bad, I don't know if executing it would make it any better. I don't think it would make it more effective. I thought they definitely were better across the board tonight, and their score reflected that. I had them a little bit further ahead of the Glassmen than the judges did, but the overall placement was right on target.

BOSTON CRUSADERS:

This show is entertaining and there's a lot going on. Per usual, they have a really good colorguard and give the fans a lot to watch. The brassline didn't seem very good tonight. I still don't understand the point of those arches..they distract rather than enhance IMO. Still, I have always liked Boston and this year is no different. Ninth is where they should have been, but I think Madison should have been right behind. Nearly a point is too wide. I think Madison can overtake them tomorrow. It will be interesting. On the way out, I saw a member (in his jacket) telling someone it was basically B.S. that Blue Knights beat them. I don't think that's a good idea, and he couldn't have been more wrong.

BLUE KNIGHTS:

Ok, either they were much better tonight, or I was completely wrong in my assessment of their show last night. Either is a strong possibility :huh: I was asking myself, "What were you looking at/listening to last night?" In my review of Quarterfinals, I said, "They were the only corps in the top 12 who did not have one single wow moment or one moment that made you want to go 'nice'!" Well, I eat those words. Tonight they sure had plenty of wow moments. The music is great, the hornline is great, the visual package is pretty nice, and the guard did add a fair amount of good visuals to the show - not as well as the corps above them or Boston, but they were pretty good. The hornline sure was loud tonight, and pretty well-balanced. Maybe this is one of those shows that requires a few viewings (I'm STILL working on Star '93 and just now getting that it was a great and entertaining show), so maybe I'll like it even more tomorrow, and as time goes on. I will say, I will definitely be buying the APD (or whatever it is). Definitely agree with their placement, however Boston was scored too close IMO. I guess further viewings can prove you were wrong about how you viewed the show the first time. I sure was wrong last night.

CAROLINA CROWN:

I freaking LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. It is one of my favorites. They were "spectacular" again tonight. That hornline - WOW can they play loud, and they do so with such a rich, deep and well-balanced tone. Just beautiful. Their visual package is just beautiful. Their colorguard is wonderful. I just love everything about this show. I still think they were scored too low. They should be right on the heels of Bluecoats, SCV and Cadets. But, what can you do but enjoy a great product like this?

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD:

I like this show. I'm not sure what to make of it though. Their hornline just does not seem as loud as the corps around them. Note: I was sitting behind some Bluecoats parents and the dad spent half of the Vanguard's show watching the Bluecoats pit. It's crazy where people's minds wander off to. Anyway, I thought they were better tonight than last night. Tough drill marched well. Excellent colorguard that is so effective. I'm not a percussion person, but brass has to be holding them back. It's so tight with them, Bluecoats and Cadets I have no idea who I thought would place where.

BLUECOATS:

I thought they were better tonight also. I have to admit, I was disappointed by their brassline both last night and tonight. I do not think this is the best line they have had. Again, there were intonation and attack/release problems. Nothing extreme or major, but I just would have expected a better hornline from them. That colorguard though - WOW. They are so effective and had the most effective flag design of the night IMO. I was just in awe at the beauty of all the flags. Good weapons work too. This guard adds so much to an already well designed and effective product. I am now a believer that Bluecoats are a corps that is going to continue to climb up those rankings. Everything's in place IMO. The hornline could be better - maybe they had two off-nights, I don't know. Again, outside of Phantom, Devils, Cavies and Crown, I don't think anyone was better brasswise (SCV and Cadets were right on par with Bloo), so their brassline is good. I guess was expecting/hoping for something on the caliber of Phantom and Devils, which I didn't get. Still, Bloo is for real! Great show!

CADETS:

I decided to go into this show with an open mind and I have come to some new conclusions about it. I still HATED the vocals, but there was a whole heck of a lot to like about this show. My stepdad raised a good point. He said, "The Cadets were more successful than any other corps in drawing your attention to where they wanted it!" He is right about that. I actually really like the whole mirror/door thing. It was pretty cool, actually, at the end - the whole mirror thing. I actually, also, don't mind the characters - if they lost the vocals and the random sayings, I would have thought it was even cooler. That whole drum solo is just wicked - the drumming, the acrobatics, the characters playing on the table (lose the mics tho). The percussion transition to the ballad was just so brilliant. They had execution problems brasswise and drill wise, so I can see why they are neck and neck with SCV and Bluecoats. Their guard was fantastic. Amazing - along with the Cavies, my favorite guard of the night. I still do hate the vocals, but I decided tonight that I would try to find redeeming qualities about this production, rather than dwell on the amps and singing, and I did. There were many shades of the Cadets that I love. I still think they could lose all the vocal stuff and have an even more effective show. Still, to be fair, they got a HUGE response from the crowd tonight - at many points during their show. Maybe we who don't like the vocals are in the minority?

Notes: Hoppy was pacing up and down the front sideline during the whole show, applauding here and there. When the "lead singer" was doing her check before the show started there was booing coming from several spots in the crowd. I don't like booing. I did feel bad for the members to have to hear this before performing their show. I seriously think the vocals add nothing to the ballad, and the Cadets are only doing the vocals because they can. It's my opinion remember.

PHANTOM REGIMENT:

Maybe it was just me, but I thought they had an off-night tonight, drill wise. If I didn't know the story of Faust, I would not understand what they were trying to tell. I realized that when my stepdad asked me what their show was about. The brassline was still fantastic, the guard was beautiful, well staged, and effective. They have a good bit of demand in their drill, but I thought the execution was off tonight. Quite honestly, I would have scored them around a 95. I didn't think they were 3 points better than Cadets, Bluecoats and SCV, and I certainly don't think they were within 2 tenths of the Blue Devils. Still, this is my favorite show of the year, and it got the biggest response tonight - well maybe it's a toss-up between them and Cavies for that, but it was a great show. I just love the music so much. The closer is just beautiful and vintage Regiment. I love the guard costumes in the closer - I wish they had them on the whole show. For knowing nothing about percussion, the drums were sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing them again tomorrow. This is my favorite Regiment show since 1996 - definitely.

Added: I forgot to mention the ballad. Wow - the most beautiful moment of the night. The crowd gave it a standing-O! I rank this as my favorite ballad ever...beautifully done, musically and visually.

BLUE DEVILS:

They done brought it tonight. WOW! I liked this show much more. The brassline was fierce, and being that Regiment placed so closely, I am assuming Devils did not win brass, and they should have. They gave the best brass performance of the night, IMO. The clarity and balance they achieve is nothing short of perfection. It was one of those amazing brass performances. Hopefully they'll deliver again tomorrow. And man can these folks march. I didn't see one phasing or out of step person tonight - it was the only corps that I didn't see any of these mistakes. They are so squeeky clean, it's unreal. Their guard, however, was sloppy tonight. I saw many rifle drops - drops that I didn't see last night. Cavies were dropping all over the place last night and BD was tonight. Not what I'd expect from this guard. I would have scored them right about where they were scored - I just thought they were well ahead of Regiment - but what do I know?

Note: I just looked up the brass scores. Third in brass tonight? I'm stunned.

CAVALIERS:

There's nothing I can say other than this is the coolest drum corps show I have ever seen. It is a visual feast. So many cool effects, drill moves, transitions, guard work - all of it. This show has "championship" written all over it, and the only way I can see them losing is if their brassline holds them back. I thought both Devils and Regiment were considerably better. Cavies 3rd in brass, yes, but there may be enough of a margin between them and Devils to boost Devils to first tomorrow, if Devils can win some visual captions. Although I think that is unlikely that the Cavies will not win. Guard was great tonight. I didn't see any of the mistakes I saw last night. I enjoyed this show very much..musically too. It's just wicked!

My mom wasn't feel well, so we left after Cavies. Hopefully, the Alumni corps performances tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed the review. I think it's gentler than last nights, but I feel it was just as honest. Maybe I liked most shows better because last night was the first time I saw most of the corps, but I did. Across the board, I pretty much liked everyone better.

Edited by gellio

Very nice review, gellio. Makes me feel like I was there.

I'm with you about Phantom's music. I can't stop listening to the APD of Thursday night. Whatever their final placement, I suspect this will be one we'll be LISTENING to over and over again for years.

Enjoy tonight's show.

The intonation "problems" in Glassmen's show...that was the arranger's interpretation of how it would have sounded to Beethoven as he was progressively getting deafer. At least, that's what was said before their show at the DCI Cinema Live during Quarterfinals. And at that point in the show, as I thought about that, and then started hearing it, and then everything went completely silent...I started crying. A bold move by an arranger, and it definitely hit me emotionally.

Thanks for the review, interesting take on some of the shows, but ooooohhh do I feel sorry for you if the Mad Men Alum Proj does not play tomorrow. I was only listening to a very video choppy (not sound choppy) season pass stream, and it was giving me chills. I'm not usually one for "OMG OMG OMG" type posts, but . . .

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::worthy:

:worthy: OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOM :worthy:

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Those guys were AWESOME!!!

I can not even begin to imagine how it was live.

Just thinking about it makes me cry that I was not there.

Sorry to go that far, I hope your mom feels better!! :(

I tend to agree with most of what you said, especially Crown. I don't know how much it hurts a score when a drill goes awry, but Crown had the makings of a pileup when one horn fell in a backward movement that collected three more before they got out of the way. They did sound extremely good though. Blue Devils marched it and sounded it, but the colorguard dropped more tosses in that one show than they did all year collectively so their score to me should have been below Phantom. Cavies are the Champion. This show is so loaded that I just can't see anybody beating them. Spirit mom..... I know most of the Colt members, I am an alum, my coworkers son aged out this year, and I am a platinum supporter... GET OVER YOURSELF. The Colts could care less about Spirit. It is the judging system they( along with the majority of the crowd) aren't pleased with. Spirit deserved 12th but Colts were in no way that far off. They deserved respect and they weren't given much. Don't let that take away from Spirits show, and remember you could very well be in 13th next year. A super day of drum corps and I can't wait for the dvds to come out.

I am so sorry you missed the Madison Alumni Corps. Holy Moly, it was awesome, absolutely fantastic. I don't think they are performing tonight, but I could be wrong. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Please know that whoever the other Spirit parent was, she does not speak for the rest of us. As luck would have it, I sat next to a Colts mom, and we were nothing but exceptionally complimentary of each other's children, their respective corps and shows. Both of our daughters were aging out, and we were respectful of the commitment that each had given. And, on a personal note, I absolutely LOVED the Colts show, especially the beautiful ballad, and wished they could have tied for that last spot in Finals!

gellio,

That was an excellent review! Great stuff! Wish I could have been there live.

The intonation "problems" in Glassmen's show...that was the arranger's interpretation of how it would have sounded to Beethoven as he was progressively getting deafer. At least, that's what was said before their show at the DCI Cinema Live during Quarterfinals. And at that point in the show, as I thought about that, and then started hearing it, and then everything went completely silent...I started crying. A bold move by an arranger, and it definitely hit me emotionally.

Wow! I had actually wondered it if was intentional, because it was so glaring. Interesting. Thank you for the clarification. I was lower last night than I was Thursday night. I also loved their on the line warm up. Very cool effect before the show even started. It's amazing that Beethoven was almost completely deaf when he wrote the 9th, isn't it?