To the Cadets of 2006...

To the 2006 Cadets and staff,

Congratulations on another fine year of excellence! Kudos to you for never giving up on your show, and sticking with your vision! You are truly a fantastic group of guys and gals, and you are to be commended on a job well done. The "true colors" of a drumcorps start to shine whenever there is trouble or hardships, and The Cadets showed the world why they are one of the best drum and bugle corps on the planet this year. You took a lot of flak from people (self included) this year, but you "stuck to your guns", and even changed a few minds (self partially included here). Thank you for doing what you do. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication. I highly look forward to seeing what the Cadets offer in 2007! Congratulations on a fine season. I know your placement wasn't as high as you had hoped, but there are more important things than placement. Relationships, family, commitment, spirit, honor, respect, just to name a few. The Cadets are well respected and admired by all true drumcorps fans. I hope you will take what I have said to heart. Again, congratulations!

Sincerely,

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. I wonder how many people would take their negative comments directly to a Cadets member face to face. I know that I disliked their show but after a few minor changes, I loved it! Congrats on pulling through all the way to the end. History wasn't repeating, but it was still excellent!

Funny that 99% of the negative comments made about the 2006 Cadets have absolutely nothing to do with the members. So I bet most would have no problem talking to a member about why we disagree with their director's "vision" of drum corps. I know I wouldn't.

All I can say is, I hope all the money spent on design staff, props, electronics and amplification were worth it. Crowd didn't seem to be buying it where I was sitting. Especially since we couldn't hear any of the narration, vocals or singing. And no, it was not from the thunderous applause.

Edited by bluestarsfco

I never had a problem with any of the members. I felt badly for them that they were thrown out there and spent an entire season just trying to further their Director's agenda, rather than going for the gold. As long as they are happy with it, that's all that should matter for them. I'm not sure I would bother to tell Hopkins if I ever had the chance to talk to him. I'd probably concentrate on mentioning all the years that I really enjoyed the corps to illustrate my point.

All I can say is, I hope all the money spent on design staff, props, electronics and amplification were worth it. Crowd didn't seem to be buying it where I was sitting. Especially since we couldn't hear any of the narration, vocals or singing. And no, it was not from the thunderous applause.

Well said.

It seems that this year was a tough one from a conceptual standpoint. From everything I saw and heard of the show (I never saw them live), the corps members appeared to be very talented and performed at a high level.

But if the show didn't win the judges over and they didn't really win the audience over (if what I read here is any indication), then where do you put a show like the 2006 Cadets? I would say that the design staff really jumped the shark one this one.

The good news is that there is next year. I would hope that the Cadets design staff will have learned what worked and what did not work, and adjust accordingly. However, I have a suspicion that rather than adjust, the Cadets director may be more likely to advocate for rules changes that will better suit his vision of future Cadets shows. I hope I am wrong.

Well, don't take my word for it. I'm curious to see what other people thought from their vantage point. My impression was that people sat on their hands and the show just kind of ended. Crowd response was not comparable to any other finals I've been at.

I wish I could have hope, but my bet is that that they will continue to try to expand their vision of drum corps, crowd be ######.

Oh and, if you're going to make your corps the poster child for amps & electronics, for god's sake, at least get it to WORK. Every other corps that chose to use it seemed to be able to.

Edited by bluestarsfco

To the 2006 Cadets and staff,

Congratulations on another fine year of excellence! Kudos to you for never giving up on your show, and sticking with your vision! You are truly a fantastic group of guys and gals, and you are to be commended on a job well done. The "true colors" of a drumcorps start to shine whenever there is trouble or hardships, and The Cadets showed the world why they are one of the best drum and bugle corps on the planet this year. You took a lot of flak from people (self included) this year, but you "stuck to your guns", and even changed a few minds (self partially included here). Thank you for doing what you do. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication. I highly look forward to seeing what the Cadets offer in 2007! Congratulations on a fine season. I know your placement wasn't as high as you had hoped, but there are more important things than placement. Relationships, family, commitment, spirit, honor, respect, just to name a few. The Cadets are well respected and admired by all true drumcorps fans. I hope you will take what I have said to heart. Again, congratulations!

Sincerely,

I feel the same way you do. They truly deserve the Congradulations.

Edited by bobk9258

I agree completely. I wonder how many people would take their negative comments directly to a Cadets member face to face. I know that I disliked their show but after a few minor changes, I loved it! Congrats on pulling through all the way to the end. History wasn't repeating, but it was still excellent!

Many of the members spoke loud enough when they quit Hopkins corps after winning a championship. I feel sorry for the group that stayed. I know someone that's been with the corps several years and I wish they had the courage to speak out. I would expect more to move on next year and fewer to try out.

The sad part is what this has done to Crossmen.

Many of the members spoke loud enough when they quit Hopkins corps after winning a championship. I feel sorry for the group that stayed. I know someone that's been with the corps several years and I wish they had the courage to speak out. I would expect more to move on next year and fewer to try out.

The sad part is what this has done to Crossmen.

<**>

Literally one of the most ignorant, misguided posts I have ever read.

You do realize the 2005 corps had the most AGE OUTS in DCI. Its not like they left because they couldn't stand Hopkins!

Ugh.