Time for Someone to Move to Marching Band World

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an analogy that I think can genuinely apply...

Over the last couple years, I've been trying to get myself into amateur car racing -- mostly autocross, some drag, and hopefully some circuit driving in the future.

A common misconception is to throw money at the car, adding modifications in hopes of running lower lap times. That's like changing a drum corps' instrumentation.

The best car modification is, as they say, "tightening the nut behind the wheel" -- the driver. Learning better technique and gaining skill will decrease lap times more effectively & consistently than any mechanical upgrade. That's like having good creative talent.

That is an analogy for something but not what were talking about in this thread. Your analogy of "Tightening the nut behind the wheel" is perfect when talking about performance or execution but it has no relevance to creativity and expression.

That is an analogy for something but not what were talking about in this thread. Your analogy of "Tightening the nut behind the wheel" is perfect when talking about performance or execution but it has no relevance to creativity and expression.

Yes it does.

Changing the car = changing instrumentation.

Changing the driver = changing how you use the existing car, which is like changing how you use the existing instrumentation.

Edited by Leland

Bingo

How many Div I corps didn't use amps this past season?

Bingo!

If they decide to make a rule that allows woodwinds to march, it doesn't mean that every corps will use them. It's just like amplification. Not every corps has or wants to use it. It is just an opportunity that is there as a possibility, not a requirement to compete.

After three-valved horns were legalized, how many years did it take for two-valved horns to become obsolete?

When the maximum corps size was increased to 135, how many Div I corps voluntarily fielded 128 members?

Six years after the any-key rule was passed, how many corps are playing G bugles?

This past season (sorry for the deja vu on this one), how many Div I corps didn't use amps?

Why would the allowance of woodwinds be any different than any of these other changes?

After three-valved horns were legalized, how many years did it take for two-valved horns to become obsolete?

When the maximum corps size was increased to 135, how many Div I corps voluntarily fielded 128 members?

Six years after the any-key rule was passed, how many corps are playing G bugles?

This past season (sorry for the deja vu on this one), how many Div I corps didn't use amps?

Why would the allowance of woodwinds be any different than any of these other changes?

I think it would be different becuase those previous developments (bugles to any key instruments, 2 valves to 3,....) had no real impact on the design of the shows. The addition of woodwinds would.

Those changes may have been wanted by many corps directors and therefore have been used as soon as they passed, but how many times has the woodwinds rule been proposed and not passed? There is also a rule currently allowing corps to just amplified voice. This past year, if I remember correctly, a minority of corps competing used amplified voice in their shows. I'm not saying that no corps will use woodwinds if the rule passes, it just might be the minority like voice has been.

I think it would be different becuase those previous developments (bugles to any key instruments, 2 valves to 3,....) had no real impact on the design of the shows. The addition of woodwinds would.

Take another look at Cadets this year and tell me the addition of amps didn't impact their show design. Or Crossmen. Or Capital Regiment, or Cavies, or Blue Stars. And that's just this year!

If none of those other changes were particularly remarkable, why were they uniformly adopted so quickly? I can guarantee you arrangers throughout DCI were anxious for that third valve. No one's going to make frivolous, unnecessary changes. If woodwinds get voted in, it'll be because those who voted for them intend to use them, which will set a trend that will see them in widespread use within five years at the most. I can nearly guarantee that.

Take another look at Cadets this year and tell me the addition of amps didn't impact their show design. Or Crossmen. Or Capital Regiment, or Cavies, or Blue Stars. And that's just this year!

If none of those other changes were particularly remarkable, why were they uniformly adopted so quickly? I can guarantee you arrangers throughout DCI were anxious for that third valve. No one's going to make frivolous, unnecessary changes. If woodwinds get voted in, it'll be because those who voted for them intend to use them, which will set a trend that will see them in widespread use within five years at the most. I can nearly guarantee that.

To me it depeds on how they implement them...I myself prefer a new "Anything Goes" division...and instruments...any size.

Those changes may have been wanted by many corps directors and therefore have been used as soon as they passed, but how many times has the woodwinds rule been proposed and not passed?

Yeah, exactly. They don't want it right now, so they're not allowing it. I'm not crying that the sky is falling or anything; I'm just saying that, come the day they want it, they'll get it, and it'll be widespread.

There is also a rule currently allowing corps to just amplified voice. This past year, if I remember correctly, a minority of corps competing used amplified voice in their shows. I'm not saying that no corps will use woodwinds if the rule passes, it just might be the minority like voice has been.

The rule allows amplification of (essentially) anything that isn't the hornline or battery. Some corps that amplified the human voice did it because their shows were designed around it (Crossmen, Cadets). Some did it for no particular reason (Blue Stars, IMO). But nearly every corps out there (if not every corps) amped their pit. The addition of woodwinds will be more akin to the amped pit than the amped voice, IMO. Amped voice has two basic uses: narration or singing. Another voice in the musical choir will be as useful and utilized as the hornline and drumline are now. The directors aren't going to vote woodwinds in and not use them. That'd be silly. They'll quickly become as attractive to arrangers as that third valve (don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of three valves).

Again, I'm not panicking, nor do I mean to rant, but I honestly believe that when woodwinds come in, they'll come in not with a whimper, but with a bang. Then all #### will break loose.