Time for Someone to Move to Marching Band World

however it was written it didnt come across well. it came across as a sop solo glory hound hanging over

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the course of 36 or 37 years I have seen drum corps for what it is, a chance for young people to play music, march and socialize and enjoy their young life. I met my first girlfriend in drum corps, I went to my first funeral because a drum corps friend father died. I have life long friends because of the 7 years I spent with one corps. That corps folded in 1977. I can't blame DCI for that, our director left and put the corps in the hands of a young man who didn't look to the future, he saw the now. I've seen us go from piston/rotor bugles to 2 valves to three valves and then to Bb bugles or as I guess they are really called today, brass band instruments. When the silly idea of amplification came up I thought that it would force corps so spend more money that they really don't have. I believe very soon, or maybe even now, small corps will not be able to compete, grow and develop. Certain individuals don't care about Div. II or III corps, they care about their own elite status.

Is drum corps turning into summer marching band? One person in the DCI ranks, if he has his way is trying to turn this activity into something that will alienate those that developed our activity. I read posts on DCP and don't see alot of threads that praise amplification. If individuals want to develop a summer marching band circuit, remove yourself from DCI and form your circuit and rid yourself of the activity that the rest of us worked hard to maintain. Change is good and change is inevitable. I read that somewhere. Change should not happen if it isn't necessary. Do our activity a favor a move to the marching band world and let drum and bugle corps be drum and bugle corps. Add those saxes and bass guitar and singers and amplification, you'll be liked there. By the way, How much will schools pay those directors to teach school all year long? Fundraising will be out of control....that's another story.

I don't hate marching band whatsoever just think that the two are seperate. Well let the barbs fly at me!

holy oleo...right on batman!!!!!!

Several people have suggested that changes to the activity such as the introduction of amplification or woodwinds will irrevocably change the nature of drum corps to the point where it is no longer recognizable as drum corps. I agree that this is possible.

But the extent to which this occurs isn't entirely in the hands of the corps' creative staff. The judging community can essentially mandate adoption of certain changes by rewarding compliance while penalizing the "traditionalists" for not taking advantage of the new opportunities. Fans can react with passionate standing ovations, or they can sit on their hands. Top talent can choose whether to join a "superband" or a more traditional looking/sounding corps.

Corps have to appeal to all of these constituencies. It's a relatively democratic system in that regard. Some changes are widely percieved as improvements, and are universally adopted. Modifications to brass instrumentation are a good example of that. Did anybody really want to hear Phantom's show this year played on 2-valve G bugles? On the other hand, corps sometimes push the envelope within rules changes and then think better of it. How much narration did you hear in Blue Devils' show THIS year???

I don't think every drum corps shows will all eventually look like Cadets 05 and 06 shows. It's okay with me if some do, and I'll be happy if some others continue to play like Phantom and BD, or march like Cavaliers. That way, there will be something out there for everybody.

Edited by membase