GE Award

Well, then...I think it is clear. The championship should be decided as an average of three nights.

It'd probably be more accurate, though certainly would be anti-climatic (and bad for business). In fact it'd kind of ruin the whole idea of 'FINALS NIGHT'.

But I do think it'd be more accurate.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take your word for it, but...I have never heard anyone griping about caption awards being given out to the corp that does best in those captions on Finals night.

As far as averaging...why stop at Finals Week? Why not average out every show for the full season? What is the logic of averaging out 3 shows at the end of the year?

Go back to giving the hardware based on Saturday night results.

Oh, the logic is the reason they have done averaging to begin with. People have griped. Say for instance you win a certain caption by a wide margin on Thursday and Friday. You perform even better on Saturday, but judge X has a hard on for corps Y, and they up you by a tenth. The averaging protects things like this from happening. You can find instances this year. Cavaliers and Phantom tie in a G.E. caption, but Cavaliers had it the two nights before. That broke the tie.

Phantom was winning drums this year. That was obvious to me for weeks. They were simply the best drum line. Had the judge dogged Phantom on Saturday and there not have been averaging, a munity would have occured in the stands.

Just my opinion.

Well, I should point out that this is the chance we're taking with the overall championship. If we're taking the chance with the overall title, then why not take the chances with the captions? Statistically speaking, it would now be possible for a corps to win a title without 'winning" a single caption trophy (if Corps A has a knockout Saturday night run, but the average is against them). Actually, has that happened before?

Actually yes. Star '91. They didn't win a single caption hands down. They tied a couple and lost the rest.

Even with out averaging this can happen. Corps A can have a great horn line and that's it. Corps B can have a great drum line and that's it. Corps C can have a great visual program and that's it. Corps D can be second place in each of those areas, and still have the highest composite score.

Oh, the logic is the reason they have done averaging to begin with. People have griped. Say for instance you win a certain caption by a wide margin on Thursday and Friday. You perform even better on Saturday, but judge X has a hard on for corps Y, and they up you by a tenth. The averaging protects things like this from happening. You can find instances this year. Cavaliers and Phantom tie in a G.E. caption, but Cavaliers had it the two nights before. That broke the tie.

But don't you see....all these arguments are also arguments for why a corps could lose a title on Saturday night with the "wrong" set of judges. So why not average out the title as well? Mind you, I am not for that. I am just playing Faus^H^H^H Devil's advocate. ^0^

Criminy, why aren't any of my tags working tonight?

Edited by The Tsar

I almost think it would be the fair way to have the scores averaged through the week. Also that way IF Magic has the best hornline, or Pioneer would have the best drums, or Cascades would have the best guard, they could win the caption title, even though they may not make the top 12. Just my .02

But don't you see....all these arguments are also arguments for why a corps could lose a title on Saturday night with the "wrong" set of judges. So why not average out the title as well? Mind you, I am not for that. I am just playing Faus^H^H^H Devil's advocate. ^0^

Criminy, why aren't any of my tags working tonight?

The difference is, it would be only one judge deciding the entire caption if they decided them on finals. On the other hand, it is 7 different judges deciding the overall placement, so the odds of one judge "having it out" for a corps and losing it for them are significantly lower. I mean, I know someone coulda given any of the top 3 a 17 last night and singlehandedly lost them the championship if they had wanted to, but that would be blatantly obvious and probably have the judge fired. On the other hand, for caption awards it wouldn't be hard for some judge to subtly put the corps they wanted to win .1 ahead of the one that had been winning all week. That is why I don't see a glaring inconsistency in the current system.

The difference is, it would be only one judge deciding the entire caption if they decided them on finals. On the other hand, it is 7 different judges deciding the overall placement, so the odds of one judge "having it out" for a corps and losing it for them are significantly lower. I mean, I know someone coulda given any of the top 3 a 17 last night and singlehandedly lost them the championship if they had wanted to, but that would be blatantly obvious and probably have the judge fired. On the other hand, for caption awards it wouldn't be hard for some judge to subtly put the corps they wanted to win .1 ahead of the one that had been winning all week. That is why I don't see a glaring inconsistency in the current system.

well.. that is true except for the drum award... 2 judges.

so should they cut it down to caption awards being handed out frin Saturday scores only, but putting 2 judges on each caption?

well.. that is true except for the drum award... 2 judges.

so should they cut it down to caption awards being handed out frin Saturday scores only, but putting 2 judges on each caption?

I don't really have a problem with how they do it now. I was just pointing out why I don't think the current system is horribly inconsistent.